Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mandatory pictures on Driver's licenses violate Islamic law?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Experts in Islamic law are being called to testify in the lawsuit of a Muslim woman fighting a Florida state order to take off her veil for her driver's license photo.

In Egypt and Bahrain if you want a driver's license you have to have a picture taken without a veil.

What do you think?

Corrected after Clandestine posted: without a veil. Not with.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Florida is a long way from Egypt or Bahrain. lol.

Hard to call really. Where does respect and tolerance for religious beliefs have to be tempered by respect for legal requirements?

A strong case can easily be made, and undoubtedly will by the Florida authorities, that a driver's license is a legal form of identification and as such must clearly portray the recognisable image of the bearer.
    Clandestine, I had a typo. In those mostly Muslim countries, if you want a driver's license you must remove your veil.

I agree with your post.
    Hmmmm tricky one.

In the end I think practical necessity has to take account over religious motivation. She doesn't have to drive so she may have to go without........
    Seems sensible....