Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drug Related Deaths

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was reading an article on thesite's section "truth about drugs" and found this information on Cannabis.Is this true because i thought no-one has died from using Cannabis.

Cannabis: In 1996 there were 4 cannabis-related deaths (2) - however by smoking joints with tobacco in them users do put themselves at risk of the smoking-related deaths.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    there has been a few deaths of cannabis but only through vomiting and inhalation of death
    I read somewhere (lifeline?) that the lethal dose of cannabis is about 25kg dropped on your head from about 10 floors up!

If you're really worried do some diggin
    eg a recent report in the BMJ (British Medical Journal) talked about a rise in Ecstasy related deaths. However the dataset, people they got data on, were class A poly-substance users with heroin dependency and they just happened to test for MDMA, not to mention H, crack, coke, speed, etc.
    The ratio between intoxication and death for cannabis is something like 1:40,000 I think.
    However you can have problems with oil as sometimes nasty solvents are used to extract it.
    i thought there were no deaths directly related to smoking cannabis.. but maybe deaths occuring indirectly?
    Talking of drug deaths I've seen someone very nearly die from taking pills, in fact the doctor said she should be alive. That wasnt that fun, but I wasnt worried at the time, it really showed me how useless you are when on pills.
    Originally posted by stevey713
    and inhalation of death
    sythe and all! you score on the banks of the river stix?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    sythe and all! you score on the banks of the river stix?

lol!!!:lol:

Ya, seriously though, "cannabis related death" could mean a lot of things. As has already been mentioned, it might have been found in the system along with other substances. Or, it could mean it drove someone to suicide, or a terrible accident, etc. Kind of like how a drunk-driving car accident could classify as an "alcohol related death". Or maybe it was an alergic reaction, or someone could have choked on a clump that got into the pipe, who knows? ;) We'd have to see the article for specifics I guess.
    i died once smoking cannabis but i was ok in the morning ...
    There was a guy years ago that used to get on my school bus who died from pills.. It was on the news and was actually one of the first media stories (before lea betts) about the risks of pills..... Thought that I was gonna die once after smoking far too much oil and going for a long walk down the train tracks (don't try this at home kids!), my heart started beating extremely fast and hard, so hard in fact that every beat caused my chest to be painful and I thought I was having a heart attack.. very scary moment.
    I bet it was scary:crazyeyes . How much did u pay for oil?
    We used to pay £20-25 a g, but its quite easy to make it yourself if youve got a fair bit of weed lying about.
    How much weed or could it be resin and how would i go about making,just a small amount at first to see what its like.
    For educational purposes I'll start a new thread on cannabis oil, as it doesn't fit in here.