Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wedding Rings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What the tradition with men's wedding rings?

Is the women supposed to choose / buy it?

Also if you were getting married to me would you be pissed if I didn't want to wear my wedding ring?

I hate wearing jewellery - I even have to remove my watch when I get to work - can't imagine wearing a ring on my finger forever!!

My Dad has never worn his - in act I've never even seen his ring - if he has one at all.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I ever got married *highly unlikely* I don't think I'd wanna wear a ring either, it'd look odd cause I don't wear rings at all really.
    Re: Wedding Rings
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    What the tradition with men's wedding rings?

Is the women supposed to choose / buy it?

No, I don`t think so.. wouldn`t you do it together?
    Also if you were getting married to me would you be pissed if I didn't want to wear my wedding ring?

I hate wearing jewellery - I even have to remove my watch when I get to work - can't imagine wearing a ring on my finger forever!!

My Dad has never worn his - in act I've never even seen his ring - if he has one at all.

Well personally, if it was me yes I would want my husband to wear one. But a lot of men don`t even HAVE one. It`s just something you`d have to work out between yourselves.

But look at it this way... a wedding ring is a symbol of your commitment to each other. What would you think about your wife not wanting to wear one? Just a thought.
    Re: Wedding Rings

you would be suprised at how comfortable they are. I dont have any rings apart from my wedding ring and when its not on (like now) I feel really lost, im feeling for it and its not there.

Our rings were matching with I love you scribed on them.

I would be pissed off with you if you wouldnt wear a wedding ring, but thats just me. Not everyones the same.

I think another good reason for wearing a wedding ring is so when you are out clubbing or whatever chances are the opposite sex look for a wedding ring and if they see it they may not try to get off with you, well thats what i used to do anyhow :)
    My dad had one for 19yrs in his first marriage with ma mum but with his new bitch he dont wear one. Weird.
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    My dad had one for 19yrs in his first marriage with ma mum but with his new bitch he dont wear one. Weird.

Do I take it you don't like her?
    Do I take it you don't like her?

I used to but now we just dont get on.

I started hating her when she hoovered Rambos tail. :| Rambo is my cat.
    Re: Re: Wedding Rings
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    you would be suprised at how comfortable they are. I dont have any rings apart from my wedding ring and when its not on (like now) I feel really lost, im feeling for it and its not there.

Our rings were matching with I love you scribed on them.

I would be pissed off with you if you wouldnt wear a wedding ring, but thats just me. Not everyones the same.

I think another good reason for wearing a wedding ring is so when you are out clubbing or whatever chances are the opposite sex look for a wedding ring and if they see it they may not try to get off with you, well thats what i used to do anyhow :)

That's exactly how I'd want my wife to be ... to want me to wear a ring .. Maybe I would get used to it and feel lost without it - I feel so funny driving my car without putting on my seatbelt - so maybe similar thing.

I still don't think I'd feel cmfortable wearing a ring all the time though .. maybe she'd settle for a tattoo instead?? Although I'm not into Tattoos at all I think I'd get one for the right girl - not sure where though!!

You're totally right I probably would prefer my wife to wear a ring .. although I'd be more upset if she turned around and said she wanted to keep her own surname - in fact I think that would be a deal break for me - because I'd really want us to have kids and all have the same surname.
    When I get married, I wanna have a slim gold band wedding ring.
    Yeah .. but guess what After all of this . i love the look of those Russian wedding rings with three different coloured bands!!
    I don't like rings. Something like a ring on my finger would bug me all the time. I wouldn't wear a watch if it weren't for the convenience of having a time telling device within easy viewing.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I would probably not want to wear a ring all the time. I can't even wear a watch (always use my mobile for that). So I would not be miffed if my husband would not wish to wear it (unless he would say that I had to wear mine :p).

My parents don't wear theirs. I know that my grandparents do though. So I guess it's quite personal. =]
    I couldn't see myself getting married to someone who liked jewellry maybe a necklace but thats all.

I guess a female would go with her husband to be or husband and help him select a ring.

If I had bought my bf something that he didn't use then yes I'd be abit cheesed off but these things happen its not the end of the world.
    My dad never had a wedding ring. Both my uncles do. I think it's just a personal matter - some men really don't like wearing jewellery, others wear jewellery anyway so they don't mind a wedding ring, and some would never wear any other jewellery, but will still wear a wedding ring when they get married.

A simple gold band is the only wedding ring I've ever seen a man wear. No idea about who's meant to choose it etc though :confused: - not having got married before, I'm not that experienced... :rolleyes: :)
    If/when I get married I'd eventually (if my partner agreed to it) want our wedding rings tattooed on :) cuz I'm weird like that :p:D

and yes if the girl wears a ring I think the guy should too, and if he doesn't like fancy rings, just a plain gold band or something. :)
    I don't think it's fair to say that people who wear (or would like to wear) a wedding ring, such as me, like jewellery - in fact, I don't wear any, except a watch. Instead, it's a sign of committment to your wife (or husband) and nothing more. If, of course, you're uncomfortable wearing one for whatever reason, then that's fair enough. For me, I wouldn't want to wear a sliver, white gold or 'Russian' one, merely because I think a gold band looks better for a wedding ring. Futhermore, when I get married, I wouldn't want to not wear one.
    id be severely pissed off if my husband didnt want to wear a wedding ring. You dont even notice youre wearing it after a while as theyre not fancy or bulky, I fnd my watch far more annoying.
    Yeah .. but guess what After all of this . i love the look of those Russian wedding rings with three different coloured bands!!

I want one of those!
    Hmm, I'm not sure really. I know my boyfriend isn't keen on jewellry - even watches - but I'm not sure how I'd react if we ever got married and he didn't want to wear a ring. :confused:

As a few people have pointed out, wedding rings needn't be huge and uncomfortable. I prefer subtle ones anyway, and think I'd go for a small white gold band

What Diamondgeezer said about surnames made me think though...I don't really like my boyfriends surname, as it's very boring (Brown), but as the big F1 fan that he is, I can see him quite fancying changing to my name (McLaren) Maybe that's an idea :D
    What about in summer time?

My fingers are just a few weeks away from swelling up in the heat and being coverd in a red and itchy heat rash!!

Does any country use rings made from wood?

I've been looking at some wooden archery bows and you get some amazing woods in all sorts of colours and hardnesses - Now I'd love to be different and have something like that a natural organic material worn close to the skin.
    What about in summer time?

My fingers are just a few weeks away from swelling up in the heat and being coverd in a red and itchy heat rash!!

Does any country use rings made from wood?

I've been looking at some wooden archery bows and you get some amazing woods in all sorts of colours and hardnesses - Now I'd love to be different and have something like that a natural organic material worn close to the skin.
    Now that would probably be even bulkier than a normal ring
    Ye it probably would be bulkier to have a wooden ring, tho i think it is possible to do...not sure tho. I think a wooden ring would be a nice idea, and i think druids and other nature worshippers may use other natural substances other than metal
    metal is a natural substance. I think a wooden ring would go all manky very quickly in someones sweaty palm.
    My mum has one of those as her wedding ring but she doesn't wear it because it no longer fits.

I don't think looking for a wedding ring is always a good indicator of whether someone is married though, because neither of my parents wear a ring and none of my friends' parents do either.

Like someone else said, I feel naked when I don't have my engagement ring on. I feel for it and when it isn't there I panic. My boyfriend has an engagement ring too, it wasn't overly expensive but it is just a plain silver band. He didn't like wearing it at first, he said it irritated him and he fiddled with it all the time. Now he too feels naked without it.
    Yeah I'd definitely want my husband to wear a wedding ring. I'd listen to his reasons not to, if he really didn't want to, but I think I'd be upset - it's supposed to be a sign of commitment, not just a piece of jewellery. My dad's always worn one since he got married, a plain gold band, and he can't take it off now. He has another wedding ring from when my parents renewed their vows, but neither of them wear their second ones very often.
    i'd be very upset if my hubby didn't want to wear his ring.
    My dad didn't have a wedding ring for the first 17 or so years of marriage to my mum - he didn't want one as he didn't want to lose it at work (at the time, he worked in a port, always close to the water and didn't want to risk it coming off and falling in). When he changed jobs and was based in an office a few years ago, they both went out together and he chose a ring (just a plain gold band) and now he wears it all the time.

My mum works in a jewellers and she said, more often than not, most couples come in and choose their wedding rings together :)
    Im not a big jewellery person myself (I only wear a watch) but I think I would want to wear a wedding ring.

In fact, I have thought about it and I'd probably choose a plain silver or white gold band - a really really really thin, delicate one.

You can have wedding rings made out of silver can't you? It's just that most people seem to have gold, and I absolutely hate gold :yuck:

I don't think my boyfriend would want to wear a wedding ring. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, I understand that he doesn't like jewellery, like me, but I think wedding rings are a bit different to just regular jewellery. But if he really didn't want to, then I guess I'd just have to understand and respect his view.

But anyways...marriage is a loooong way off !