Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eurovision

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone interested in it?? Anyone gonna watch it??

Its the biggest music event of the year and no-one seems too bothered really, lol. There is a bit of a hype over here, well not a huge one, but bigger than other years.
I hope the Irish entrant does reasonably well even if he doesnt win because it'll help his career hopefully. He's a brilliant musician.

(......i think we've a good chance of winning though......even though our song is a rip off of a previous winning one! )
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would watch it for the laugh... but I'm off out clubbing. Shame. :p
    The Eurovision is for singers who will never make the big time and this is the only chance to make a few quid and some 15 minutes of fame. It's a waste of money :/...I'd rather watch TOTP.

edit: It's as good as a chocolate tea pot.

:)
    Oh dear. I've just seen Austria. Did they just drag that guy from a mental asylum at a last desperate resort?

Oh dear, how awful. I'm still laughing now.
    rofl same, i couldnt stop laughing.
    if u missed it, check here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/realmedia/eurovision03/austria.ram
    Here the Eurovision is a big party-day. ;D Most people watch it.

I'm watching it and talking to other Europeans. It's quite fun. ;D

And although it doesn't make any starts, it's fun for a laugh (bad pop, woo!). And then you see people like the Austrian guy. Grand! ;)
    I woudn't miss Eurovision for the world! The often appalling songs. The dresses. The hosts. The highly politisized voting. It's fantastic!

Dear dear poor Great Britain. Finishing last with 0 points to show for the effort.

Tatu were quite full of themselves and their song was crap; shame that they 'behaved' themselves. I was expecting some shock and drama after the organisers said they feared full nudity or lesbian romping.

The BBC commentator gets on my nerves no end though.
    hahahahahahaha 0 points.

Dont dis Terry Wogan , hes the best thing about the show.

His commentary is funny , although Continentals would not understand it.
    And the continentals won't hear it - his commentry is only broadcast in Britain!!

I guessed Turkey would win - does that make me sad?

I love Eurovision but I think the fact that noone voted for the UK says a lot about how the rest of Europe feels about the nation!!

EDITED TO CORRECT AWFUL SPELLING MISTAKES BROUGHT ON BY TOO MUCH BEER!
    LOL! Yeah, it was a bit sad to see the poor British people go back home with 0 points. ;]

I didn't like the Turkish song though... I would have liked to see Belgium or Austria win. ;) And t.A.T.u (Russia)... They so didn't deserve that 2nd place! Their singing was awful and they didn't even put up a good show after all that they had said.

haha, everyone thought Iceland would be one of top 5, even 1st. We're always too optimistic. There wasn't much to the song and the only thing people I talked to online did say was that she was cute.

I was all the time talking to people from different countries (various Europeans) and it was fun talking about the songs while they were being sung. The dresses, if the chorists are there to sing or watch, the singers themselves. And the voting is the best! ;]

So yeah... I love watching it if I can be online at the same time. Or in good company. It's not something I would watch alone though. You need to be able to blabber you way through those 3 hours of differently good entries. ;]
    Also, I MUST add that the Icelandic commentator was a real laugh. He has been the last two or three years and he takes this way too personally. Especially when the Scandinavians don't give us 8+ points. He's crying something like "Our neighbours betrayed us!" or "I don't mean to sound ungrateful.. but x many points?"

And also that the male the British sent was extremely feminine looking. :p
    Yes , well , I dont think the British people really care that they got no points in Eurovision. It doesnt rank high on their list of important things.

How can you take this contest seriously? They are all a bunch of buffoons who cant sing.
    Originally posted by Aladdin

The BBC commentator gets on my nerves no end though.
    He's the show's only saving grace!!

I am truly embarrassed on behalf of the UK, our entry was shiiiiiiiiiiite - they couldn't even sing in tune! :(

Austria and Germany were hysterically funny.... anyone else think the Greek woman's bondage kit was a LITTLE too much? It made me feel ill.

I like Eurovision though :) it's a laugh.
    Originally posted by ilovebusted
    I just don't understand why they don't get a decent singer and decent song.

I mean, Russia got Tatu, why can't we use Robbie.

Very few self-respecting British artists would show their face at the Eurovision song contest. So we end up using people like Gemini. Ok they weren't bad and at least deserved SOME points, but they weren't really very good either. But other countries take it more seriously so submit their 'best' artists.

And don't diss the Austrian guy. He rocked!
    I still think howver that using an 'already known' artist is very unfair.

And in fact TATU are not really lesbians!
    That winning song sucked big time.

Tatu couldn't sing live at all. They were dreadful and sounded like crying cats!

Our entry didn't deserve 0 points - it was purely political. We in this country vote for what we think is the best song (or in the case of Austria, who we gave a lot of points to, we vote for the worst for a laugh!) but other nations just vote for their mates. It is as if they think "oh no Russia will invade us if we don't give them 12" :rolleyes:

Ah, it always gives me a laugh, and I am a rock music fan. I wanted Estonia to win, failing that the Netherlands.
    OH my god we really got 0 points?! Like none at all?! :lol::lol:
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Tatu couldn't sing live at all. They were dreadful and sounded like crying cats!

Our entry didn't deserve 0 points - it was purely political. We in this country vote for what we think is the best song (or in the case of Austria, who we gave a lot of points to, we vote for the worst for a laugh!) but other nations just vote for their mates. It is as if they think "oh no Russia will invade us if we don't give them 12" :rolleyes:

Don't go maintain that you are the best and all the others voted wrong. This is entertainment. Why do you think people like Dana International won after the phone elections were legalized? It's because the people watching are voting. This isn't just a singing contest, the performance matters as well, and all the glitz. The Austrian guy for example, he came out being very memorable! Britain was terribly dull and didn't have anything to remember (except how feminine the guy looked, but of course that's not going to earn the song my points). ;) Countries can send in such silly entries because it adds to the entertainment value. Before the jury lost their job almost no one was watching anymore. The people watching want something totally different than a good sung love song! ;)
    I know I don't make much sense but I just don't think you should criticise all the other countries. Some votes were highly political, yes, but a lot weren't.

I still don't understand why Turkey won and even less why Russia got second. Belgium should have won! :(
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    Don't go maintain that you are the best and all the others voted wrong. Some votes were highly political, yes, but a lot weren't.

I still don't understand why Turkey won and even less why Russia got second. Belgium should have won! :(
    WTF? I thought our song was rubbish but it did not deserve to not receive any points because it was far superior to some of the shite that countries such as Russia churned out.
    There were very few votes that weren't political.

I know it is entertainment, so don't patronise me.
    Originally posted by Faith
    OH my god we really got 0 points?! Like none at all?! :lol::lol:

Nope, none. And we were the only ones who didn't get any.

I thought Turkey's song was quite good but the woman's singing was atrocious! I think she might have been better if she'd been singing in her own language as what pissed me off most was her pronounciation.

Tatu weren't that bad. Just not that good, either. I thought Estonia were the best but didn't think they had a hope in hell of winning - their song wouldn't appeal to most of Europe's musical taste.

Also don't forget that some countries play to lose, or at least don't want to win. It costs a lot of money to put on the contest and some countries don't want the expense, but still want to put in an appearance.

Good old Eurovision - always good for a laugh!
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

Lol yep, so true.

But what do you mean by an 'already known' artist? You mean something like Tatu? Because a lot of countries use artists who are 'already known' to them - Turkey's entry was I think their current 'best' singer, just no one over here had heard of her. Do you mean they shouldn't be able to use artists who are recognised abroad?
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I thought Estonia were the best but didn't think they had a hope in hell of winning - their song wouldn't appeal to most of Europe's musical taste.
    I really liked their song too! Not something I would normally listen to in the course of the day ( I usually like heavier stuff) but it was quite rocky.

Why don't people sing in their own languages? Have they no pride? :confused:
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Ah, it always gives me a laugh, and I am a rock music fan. I wanted Estonia to win, failing that the Netherlands.

Thanx for giving Ireland 12 points :) I cant believe the silly Irish people didnt give you's at least 1 back though ??? I know your song wasn't the best but with the amount of British people living over here I thought we would've at least given you a point. Maybe it is just too political and historical etc.....
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

The point of Eurovision is that its a SONG CONTEST - ie we are supposed to be voting for the best song, so it doesn't matter who you get to sing it ...its just that the song has to be a 'masterpiece'!! ;) It also has to be original, written by someone from the country it is representing and never been released before. The band/singer doesn't have to be from the country they are representing, just the song

So - could we possibly one day see a UK entry sung by The Strokes or Bjork?

The problem with the contest is that when artists sing in a different language to the one we are used to (in my case English) then we don't get the most from the song. This is probably why Ireland gave the UK 12 points...because they understood it better than the others.

Also - a lot of coutries tend to sing in a way that is traditional to their country so thats why places like Malta and Greece use 'traditional' sounding instruments and singers.
    Originally posted by byny
    The problem with the contest is that when artists sing in a different language to the one we are used to (in my case English) then we don't get the most from the song. This is probably why Ireland gave the UK 12 points...because they understood it better than the others.
    :eek2: :confused:

If you put the subtitles on (ceefax 888) then they translate the words for you. The Austrian entry was singing about little fluffy kittens and camels hair. It was all about animal reproduction!
    Originally posted by Molly
    :eek2: :confused:

If you put the subtitles on (ceefax 888) then they translate the words for you. The Austrian entry was singing about little fluffy kittens and camels hair. It was all about animal reproduction!

Yeah we did that. Me and a few mates got a few beers in and watched it as we had nothing better to do. Terry Wogan's commentary is class. The man is a fucking lord.

Best bits included:

Romania's lady fucked up her voting and had to start again:

Terry - Thats ok dear, your fired!

Estonia give Latvia some points meaning we get no points at all:

Terry - Now were going to have to send in the gunboats.

Finally, after the whole events over:

Terry - Don't worry folks we won't get relegated for having no points, because we pump so much money into it. And next year we'll give them a damn good thrashing!

:D:D:D
    The day after the Eurovision Irelands tv company RTE announced that none of our votes were used. Hundreds of thousands of people voted but apparently (and conveniently if you ask me......) something went wrong and they had to get a judging panel of 8 unknowns(that just happened to be there.....) to decide who our points went to.

I reckon if it went by our votes Britian would have got some.
    Hope you's feel better! :)
    :lol: well we got zero points!! Its all political!! We go in a war they dont agree with so they dont give us any points! Pah!
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    :lol: well we got zero points!! Its all political!! We go in a war they dont agree with so they dont give us any points! Pah!

Or maybe it was because your song was shit??? :p
    The Russians were dead certain they were going to win Eurovision this year. I think there was loads of pressure from the government for Tatu to come first. Moscow would love to host the Eurovision contest, and use it as a showcase for how wonderful (according to the mayor of Moscow, who is a complete nutter) Russia is now.

Lots of countries choose their entries by using their Pop Idol (or equivalent) winner, like Spain for example. We could do this too, at least it would mean we'd have someone performing that everyone knew.