Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

9 year olds in thongs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:crazyeyes what the fuck????

I was just reading one of my partner's papers (he leaves them lying around from days ago! I always end up cleaning up after him :rolleyes: :D ), and there was an article on how many shops and catalogues are selling THONG and UNDERWIRED bra sets for NINE year olds!!!!

what the hell is going on... and people wonder why all our kids are 'growing up so fast' and bloody teenage pregnancy??!! If somewhere shouts at me for that again... im just going to blame it on Next.

Well, technically I think Next have stopped their range through complaints, but even argos were doing it, and I think its New Look or something, they've got thongs in sizes for 8 - 11 year olds.

The world's going fucking mad. What parent would buy their 8 year old a thong???

Honestly though... would you?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's just wrong! :eek2: There was a school in the papers that has told parents not to let their kids wear them too school.
    I know, it was mentioned in this article.

Seriously though, what is going on with all those mothers saying its ok? I bet they fucking complain when their daughter's come home with 28 year old boyfriends who want kids dont they???? *nods*

And come on, it doesn't do anything to discourage peadophiles does it? It takes away a child's innocence and turns them in to some sort of sex symbol. I think its disgusting.
    I don't agree with some things in the world and this is one of them
    Its think its fucked up, whats worse though is that wearing a thong would appeal to a 9 year old! I mean if there wasn't a demand for them then they wouldn't be made!
    thats so true. I swear, I dont know how i could cope with my daughter going to school in a thong at 8 years old. I find it extremely disturbing
    Originally posted by badabing
    And come on, it doesn't do anything to discourage peadophiles does it?

Thats what it was saying in the paper, you know what girls of that are like for doing hand stands in the playground etc Is very worrying if you ask me, surely mum's should be thinking of these things instead of buying their little girls thongs!
    Re: 9 year olds in thongs
    The world's going fucking mad. What parent would buy their 8 year old a thong???
    Bad ones.

No matter what some stores say, if they make them then eight year olds will want them, not the other way around. If they don't sell them then 8 year olds can't be sexualised.

Some people wear thongs so avoid VPLs etc but many wear them to feel sexy, and therefore they are far more than a peice of clothing. If I were a parent I don't think I would even let my 8 year old daughter wear a bikini.

I think the age at which children lose their innocence is getting lower and lower.
    I think its really sad. I hate to see children trying to look like mini grown ups, and parents who actually help them :( :mad:
    Re: Re: 9 year olds in thongs
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Some people wear thongs so avoid VPLs etc .

There was a quote from someone in the BBC article on this saying that kids that age shouldn't be wearing stuff tight enough to have VPL.

I agree.
    I think the problem is that most people associate the word "thong" with "sex" or "sexy". It says more about how peoples minds work, the current state of paedophile paranoia that grips society, and the marketing by clothing manufacturers and shops.
    Kids always want to do what adults do, and dress up like adults too. It's all part of playing and growing up. You certainly can't blame the kids for wanting them.

However (and make sure you read this before flaming me), there does seen to be something disturbing about kids wearing them, though I can't seem to think exactly what it is.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Re: Re: Re: 9 year olds in thongs
    Originally posted by Samuti
    There was a quote from someone in the BBC article on this saying that kids that age shouldn't be wearing stuff tight enough to have VPL.

I agree.
    But a lot of parents dress their kids in leggings and tight fitting jeans/trousers. But once again, the VPL isn't a good enough excuse for kids to be wearing thongs. I mean, they're kids! That's weird.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    gross. :eek2: :yuck: creepy..... *shudder*
    I think its bad, you can actually get PADDED bras for 8 year olds in loads of shops, ive seen them! I think its a shame, although i think the 8 year olds that wear them, wear them as fashion- not as something sexy. probably their mums wear them and they want to dress grown up, they have no idea of the sexualising nature of their choice of clothing, thats why parents should make the choice at this age, The children cant make an informed choice.
    jeesus when i was eight i was still wearing those huge party dress things with about seven skirts and necklines up to my ears, i didnt even know what vpl was let alone be worried about it.

the other day i went to a gig and was wearing a skirt that would've had serious vpl so i went to topshop and went to buy a thong, then at the last minute went nah, i'll wear trousers, i just cant bring myself to wear em.

surely their not comfortable?
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble

Kids always want to do what adults do, and dress up like adults too. It's all part of playing and growing up. You certainly can't blame the kids for wanting them.

Mr_Wobble ;)

I agree that kids always want to look and act grown up, its part of the process of growing up... but (and Im not trying to suggest that you think this, because I dont believe that you do)... adults have sex. That does NOT make it ok for a child to have sex... because they want to be like an adult.

Please dont get me wrong, I know Mr_wobble was not trying to say that this sort of behaviour is ok, and moving on now to the idea of kids having sex because they want to be all grown up (and im not necessarily talking about a 9 year old, more 12,13,14), I know that's pretty extreme, but it's true.

Doing things at that age, is about growing up, and 'enjoying' yourself and what not. I used to babysit a little girl who was 8, she had a lot of social and family problems, her dad had left and locked her in cupboards and all sorts, and her mum worked in burger king. Anyway, this girl, Vicky, she was 8 and a huge Britney fan, she used to ask me about sex and try and talk to me about it, and even about girls having sex with each other and make up and underwear. She was 8 years old. I just think its amazing that an 8 year old even knows about sex in as much detail as she did, and then gay relationships on top of that???

These kids are at the age where if they get something 'cool' (a kid at that age would consider a thong a 'cool' thing) they want to show it off. And they will. And it's wrong. And the parents that put their children in vunerable situations like that, situations where advantages beyond belief could be taken out of their kids, they arent fit to be parents.

You could also go on to say about when the barbie with tattoos came out. Im not saying tattoos are bad (Jesus I have three), but for kids who are at barbie-age, its slightly encouraging. But then - you could argue that with the whole 'Barbie has a boyfriend' thing, and the fact that little girls play mummies and daddies with toy babies. There's not much encouragment in that either.

In fact, there's not much encouragment in a lot of the stuff kids do today.

AND whilst Im on here having a rant, I find it quite disturbing that there is only one version of barbie who is black. There are no mixed raced barbies, no chinese barbies, no asian barbies. AND... if barbie was a real person, she'd have to walk on all fours because of her disproportionate body.
    Re: Re: Re: 9 year olds in thongs
    Originally posted by Samuti

I agree.

Besides... What's the problem with VPL anyway? It's not disgusting. We're all wearing underwear (most of us anyway, lol!) -what's the *issue* behind seeing the outline of it. Come to think of it, if you're staring at my ass close enough to see my pantie line, back the fuck up off me!
    These parents should be reported. They're doing fuck all to protect their daughters.
    Ive seen programs on TV about paedophiles and they always seem to believe that the child was sending out sexy signals and asking for it etc. By purposely selling overtly sexual clothing aimed at children is downright dangerous and irresponsible. I wouldnt risk it with my own child and I dont see how other people can take the risk with theirs.
    Well My intricate and detailed opinion on it is: its just a different shape of underwear!!!

To us, thongs usually represent things such as sex. Thats OUR representation of it. Not the kids representation of it! I dont believe any child rapist is going to find out whether or not the child is wearing a certain type of underwear before snatching them.

Kids are always going to be kids, thats what a lot of people forget. If they want to wear this stuff: Fine. Nothing bad is going to come of it, if anything they'll look back later in life and just think what was i thinking and laugh about it. Surely many of you when you were younger did some kind of sexual thing [e.g show me yours and i'll show you mine] type of thing? They don't devlelop sexual urges at 8, i mean come on, horny 8 year olds [lol]?

My opinion, anyway.

Duffy
    I think its so wrong. I hate seeing young kids in two piece bikini's too.
    Originally posted by Homer's Love Child
    I hate seeing young kids in two piece bikini's too.

why?
    Why on earth do parents try and make their children grow up i must say that a child in a pink lacy dress is gorgeous not fashion victims its terrible

in fact i work with children at work experience and the amount that say they are on a diet or have their BELLY BUTTONS pierecd!:confused:
    Originally posted by duffy_2k
    Surely many of you when you were younger did some kind of sexual thing [e.g show me yours and i'll show you mine] type of thing?

Oh God yeah...I had to touch a guys dick cause he was craving fags really badly and the guy with fags told him to do it....and he never got the fags in the end :lol:
    I agree that kids always want to look and act grown up, its part of the process of growing up... but (and Im not trying to suggest that you think this, because I dont believe that you do)... adults have sex. That does NOT make it ok for a child to have sex... because they want to be like an adult.

Please dont get me wrong, I know Mr_wobble was not trying to say that this sort of behaviour is ok, and moving on now to the idea of kids having sex because they want to be all grown up (and im not necessarily talking about a 9 year old, more 12,13,14), I know that's pretty extreme, but it's true.
    Well, my point is that kids don't realise the sexual connotations that adults put with thongs. They just see adults in thongs, and want thongs.
    Then there's the media, fashion, music, etc, where the thong has become commonplace, and therefore kids want thongs.
    Many 8 year olds play at dressing up using adults clothes - high heels, make up, etc. It's just that it's been realised that there's money to be made by selling kids sized clothing that echos adults clothing.

Anyway, as Duffy pointed out, I don't think a paedophile would honestly care what they were wearing. They may even prefer kids to wear kids clothing - that innocent look for example.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I think bikinis are fine on a child, i used to wear one and that is personal choice they are not tarty at that age (shorts and top)

and babading - kids have always plyed mummies and daddies but im shocked that a child should know that much bout sex
    why?

I dont know really, its probably cos I see them as sort of "sexy" clothes. I dunno, im probably just old fashioned. If i had kids though I would dress them in a 1 piece swimsuit thingy instead of a two piece bikini for definite though. Cant really explain why.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: 9 year olds in thongs
    Originally posted by Protean
    Come to think of it, if you're staring at my ass close enough to see my pantie line, back the fuck up off me!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

To us, thongs usually represent things such as sex. Thats OUR representation of it. Not the kids representation of it! I dont believe any child rapist is going to find out whether or not the child is wearing a certain type of underwear before snatching them.

No you're right, I dont think its the kid's representation of a thong, they dont automatically say 'hey im wearing a thong im going to get sex today', but the problem is the perception they are giving out to other people by wearing a thong.

Its all very well saying no one should care what other people think, but i care if its influencing another persons actions.

And no, I dont think a peadophile would care what underwear the child was wearing, but i dont think it helps.

Kids are always going to be kids, thats what a lot of people forget. If they want to wear this stuff: Fine. Nothing bad is going to come of it, if anything they'll look back later in life and just think what was i thinking and laugh about it.
    My opinion, anyway.

Duffy

But kids arent always going to be kids if their parents let them grow up too quickly. Would you say it was fine if they wanted to wear a plastic, backless nurses outfit from anne summers to play 'dressing up' in?

And no, maybe nothing bad will come of, i wasnt trying to start a huge debate about peadohpiles or what not, but sexy underwear takes a child's innocence away. And even though it's 'just a different shape of underwear', they are designed to be sexy. Whether they're pink with little fluffy hearts on, or black leather... people have different perceptions of what sexy is.

And a padded bra for an 8 year old? Would you let your 8 year old daughter wear a padded bra every day to school?
    If anything, it distracts their attention from things that should matter to them, kids are becoming too concerned with the way that they look and their personal standards at an age that is much too young to be worrying about that sort of stuff.

Next they'll be plucking their eyebrows at 7 and shaving their legs at 6 if we encourage it.
    I read that article about the 9-yr-olds in school wearing thongs, and it disgusts me. I agree wholeheartedly with you Badabing - that irresponsible parents aren't letting their kids be kids. And padded bras?!?! The only reason you'd wear a padded bra is to draw attention to your boobs, or at least to feel better yourself about the way they look; should 8yrolds be worried about that?! It's horrible that parents allow and even encourage girls to 'grow up' so quickly.

When I was eight, like PaperBPrincess, I was still wearing smocked dresses and playing in sandpits and watching cartoons. Things I worried about were not being invited to someone's birthday party or my pet snails and slugs in the garden escaping. Normal (-ish!!!) things for a child. I'm 17 now and in my teenage years I've gone through worries about my figure, my clothes, my make-up, my boobs, boys, diets, discos... the works. So I've had a childhood AND teenage years, and now - with any luck! - I'm growing up.

What worries me most is what will these kids do when they're 15, 16? They've already been through teenage things, probably had sex, got into alcohol, smoking, drugs etc... there's nothing left for them because they missed their childhood and grew up too fast.

:(
    Ok, people are seriously overreacting here. Can anyone honestly tell me that they would have even thought of becoming a drug user at 8? a smoker? using alcohol recreationally? Its kind of like the chaos theory.
    Its all very well saying no one should care what other people think, but i care if its influencing another persons actions.

Curious to know what these actions might be...
    they are designed to be sexy. Whether they're pink with little fluffy hearts on, or black leather... people have different perceptions of what sexy is.

You seem to be forgetting you can get normal underwear in those styles as well. Should we stop children from wearing skirts as well? because we see them as sexy?
    And a padded bra for an 8 year old? Would you let your 8 year old daughter wear a padded bra every day to school?

If they wanted to, yes. Its going to do no harm whatsoever. If i walked up to you with a padded bra on [yes i am male!!!], do you think you would find this disgusting? kids of that age usually dont have any breasts to cover with a padded bra. You could use the same argument for "crop tops"
    What worries me most is what will these kids do when they're 15, 16? They've already been through teenage things, probably had sex, got into alcohol, smoking, drugs etc... there's nothing left for them because they missed their childhood and grew up too fast.

Theres more to life than sex and drugs you know...