Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scars

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did a search and did find some interesting stuff most of which im already trying but as some people will know i self-harmed for 16 months and its almost 2 months since i last cut so i'm trying to get over it but the scarring on my body is so bad. i used antiseptic creams plasters everything at the time but they still got infected and they are so clear. i use vitamin e cream in an attempt to help repair the skin but nothing seems to work if anything they seem worse. its making me want to cut more because people can see i've done it from the scars so i might as well continue i still feel as down as i did when i cut. Any advice on scars would be really appreciated and sorry for bringing up this issue again, i know its been done before but i wondered if there was any new advice anyone could give. Thanks:)
xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    there's not much you can do with scars that are really deep. I know a girl who has slut carved in to her arm, she didnt even do it that deep, its years old now but its still there. Her scars are all over her, and you're right, its not nice and it makes you feel down as it just reminds you of what used to be.

Possibly go to your chemist, they may be able to give you some sort of herbal things, something that makes the skin more subtle in order for it to re-shape itself or something. I dont know, but its worth a try. To be honest though, I think they only way you can well and truly get rid of scars, is laser surgery. And that's expensive.
    It might be possible to get laser treatment on the NHS - if you have a recommendation from a doctor or something - if seeing the scars wants you to harm yourself even more then a doctor might be willing to help.

Years Ago I watched Tomorrows world and they had a doctor that realised that babies operated whilst still int he womb don't have any scars when they are born from the operation.

He discovered that from the caveman days humans needed to heal fast in order to protect from infections ,etc when they got cut - so the body heals quickly but it leaves a scar, inside a woman's womb however the baby is protected from the outside world so it can heal slowly and thus no scar.

The doctor found the substance that slow down healing so there is no scar and cut his arm twice to prove it works, on one site he left untreated and the other he injected himself with the drug and when they both healed you could only see the one scar - this was years ago so no idea why there isn't a cream or something on the market by now to prevent scars - search the net you might find something.
    thanks for your advice...i would see my doctor about it but he doesn't know i self-harmed in the first place, haven't seen him for a few years.
    xxx
    Try taking vitamin E pills or cream. I've never used them myself but I know several people who have and say they work well. Hope that helps :)
    some interesting news - there is now a patch that you can buy which reduces the amount a scar stands out....

have a lil search for it....

would be good for ya cause you self harmed - most of your scars wouldnt be that deep (mine arent anyways)

saw the patches done for someone with a large scar - worked dramatically

yah ive yattered for a bit now...

gd luck xx
    Originally posted by pie

would be good for ya cause you self harmed - most of your scars wouldnt be that deep (mine arent anyways)

Thanks most of my arent too deep, only a few are..ill have a look around for that.
    xxx
    YEAH there are plasters you can get to reduce scars that have been there up to 15 years i think. i think they are made by savlon and not too dear. give them a bash pal. good luck :)
    hi back again, its not savlon who do them its elastoplast and they are called elastoplast scar reduction patches for red or raised scars. they can be used on scars as long as the wound ha healed. they have a site, look at

www.elastoplast.co.uk/scar_customer.html

hope it helps :)
    Thank you so mush i'm gonna go to boots and hunt them down!
    xxx
    I just saw on "This Morning" their doctor taught about a creme called Dermatix - you can buy it over the counter and it reduces scars. He said they've known for many years Silicon reduces scars.

He said you apply it twice a day for 2 months to a scare that is red and raised and 86% of scars flatten out.

I was taping the programme at the time so have a picture from a before and after.

Hope this helps.