Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Condoms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had to have sex with a condom last night for the first time in 9 months! It was like shagging a plastic bag, i suddenly realised mid-session how much i actually detest using them, and if i want any, im gonna have to continue using them until tuesday, which was the first appointment the doc could see harriet to give her her depo-provera shot! arrrrrrrghhh damn it to hell!!!

What do "thesiters" prefer then? pill, injection, condoms, femidoms, rythmn method?

Has anyone tried that new patch that is out, same as the pill but you wear 1 patch per week, for 3 weeks, then have a week off, same system as the pill i think.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's the rhythm method? :confused:
    Originally posted by perfect***day

or was it the calendar method? no its both, just checked here
    RHYTHM METHOD

Also known as Calendar Method. Based on Orgino-knaus theory that ovulation, release of mature female egg takes place about 14 + 2 days before the next menstrual period.The calendar method attempts to predict ovulation using a woman’s menstrual history.

A written record should be kept.
    The day on which bleeding starts, should be marked as day 1.
    This should be done for at least 6 months.
    Then count the days in each cycle.
    Of course, you have no assurance that your cycle variations will remain the same. So you must continue to mark each Day 1 and list the length of your last cycle. Note the length of shortest and longest cycle.
    Rhythm Method - really unreliable as far as I know.

I used to use condoms, both me and my bf are clean, so I've started the pill and we use that for contraception.
    I use the pill although I quite like the sound of that patch thing, I'd hate to have to go back to using condoms again :yuck:
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    Rhythm Method - really unreliable as far as I know.

Very true, however, if you are roman catholic, its the only method the church will allow you to use.
    Which is one of the reasons why religion really pisses me off.

Sorry...
    Originally posted by perfect***day

It's where you have sex with no contraception, relying on the woman's monthly cycle to determine when she will or won't get pregnant.

Very very unreliable.
    i was on the pill for a while but i couldnt handle the mood swings so now we just use condoms instead...:(

can get pretty expensive because i dont like the ones they give away free, i dont care what anyones says, theyre just not as comforable as good ol' durex:D
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    Very true, however, if you are roman catholic, its the only method the church will allow you to use.

i'm a roman catholic and i'm on the pill

hey ho i'll just have to burn in hell for all eternity or what have yer
    yeah exactly, religion... bah, who needs it
    I'm on the pill but use condoms too as I'm not in a long term relationship.
    yeah exactly, religion... bah, who needs it

:yes:
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams

glad someone agrees :)
    me and my girlfriend hate condoms too, they are nasty things.

my girlfriend did try the pill but she had a nasty reaction to them. shes now been put on some other medcine so she cant use the pill so we're back to condoms! great! another 6 months of condoms!
    You need to wait a week as well for the injection to work as well, dearest. And..her second jag will cease her blushing knickers..therefore, no rainbow smoochin, 'til she decides to come off of it. :)
    I'm on depo, and I really like it. Apart from the fact that it's seriously fucked my periods up - you're not supposed to get any, yet I still do, and have heavy spotting for about 4 weeks afterwards :/

Anyway, the pill was just too much hassle for me, i couldn't remember to take it, and it made my periods about 100times heavier, which is unusual, but it seems that with contraceptives i'm pretty strange :/

The implant sounds like quite a good idea, I'm not sure why it's not more common - possibly because family planning places are not terribly eager to give it out, and fewer people go to their doctor.

If you have medical conditions or whatever, you're probably better to be on the mini-pill to begin with, because if you have migraines or such like, the pill can cause premature strokes and evil things like that.

Personally, I don't like condoms much, however I'm rarely in 'one night stand' situations. In a situation where I didn't know the guy, diseases worry me, so I would always use a condom. But in a long term relationship, I know that I should use condoms until we've both been tested, but it never quite works out like that.

I trust depo, and I trusted the pill, and my main worry is pregnancy, so I feel depo is sufficient. The fact that I'm still getting periods seems to prove that I can't be pregnant, although I probably should take a pregnancy test every so often, just in case. Nothing is 100% effective in preventing against pregnancy, except not having sex.
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy
    Nothing is 100% effective in preventing against pregnancy, except not having sex.

I'm on the pill, I have been on and off since I was 18.

It's probably not the best thing for me, as I am very forgetful and I'm sick quite a lot (I'm not bulimic or anything, I just get sick very easily) which stops it working.

I'm scared to have injections though, not scared, but wary.

I should use condoms, but er, I don't. I hate them, I don't know if I am allergic to them but I find them painful and irritating.

I like the pill though as it controls my skin (I'm on dianette), and regulates my periods, which are normally very painful.
    I'm on the new patch, i started using it yesterday as i SUCK at taking my pill. So far, no complaints, though it does seem to have made me really horny (which would be no bad thing... if i had a boyfriend). One word of advice though, wear it on your arm, shoulder or upper back, NOT your arse cheek as it moves around as you sit down, shifts slightly, so you have stickyness round the edges which goes black like a plaster. Ho hum!

Does anyone know if you can run these patches back to back like you can with the pill? Ie, use 9 weeks worth together, then get a period?
    Originally posted by 1983
    You need to wait a week as well for the injection to work

I dont think thats true, once my harriet has had her injection, she is covered for 3 months
    I dont think thats true, once my harriet has had her injection, she is covered for 3 months

"You will usually be given an injection on the first day of your period or during the first five days of your period. If you have an injection on days one to five, you will be immediately protected against becoming pregnant.

If you have the injection on any other day you will not be protected for the first seven days. So use another method of contraception, such as condoms, for seven days."

:)
    hate em.. but, unless i know that me and my man are both clear from STIs i use em...

saying that, just because we were clear on tests, doesnt mean we are going to stay clear-- im paranoid, and what if he cheats on me again and (just to make it worse) shags a girl and catches one off her?

condoms are shit.... which is why we have more fun with foreplay than anything else...
    i think condoms are better than STD's tho
    My cousin was on Injections, she'd been using it for a while and still got pregnant! just shows you nothing is 100% safe

oh yeah and condoms suck