Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can you be honest and win student council president.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We had an assembly, and all of the playas we're running for student office. (They run trips and organize dances in the gym.) And meet with teachers regarding policies that impact on students.

They seemed to be so full of it. There are things that are just plain wrong with the school...including how at the edge of school property those of us who don't want to smoke are made to run the gauntlet of the cool types who smoke and do whatever else you have to do to be cool. And not one person running said anything about it.

Anyways. Can you be honest, stand for something and win an election?

Comments

• Options
    of course, but its probably down hill from then on :)
  • Options
    You're probably right. All the groups have to be played up to or you wouldn't get elected. I don't get the kissing up to the teacher's and principal part though.
  • Options
    Re: Can you be honest and win student council president.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    We had an assembly, and all of the playas we're running for student office. (They run trips and organize dances in the gym.) And meet with teachers regarding policies that impact on students.

They seemed to be so full of it. There are things that are just plain wrong with the school...including how at the edge of school property those of us who don't want to smoke are made to run the gauntlet of the cool types who smoke and do whatever else you have to do to be cool. And not one person running said anything about it.

Anyways. Can you be honest, stand for something and win an election?

Recently there has been a backlash against 'popular ppl' as they are called round here. The barbie dolls with 4 inches of make up and the cool guys with a bad attitude suddenly became less popular than the rest when all the peoplke they'd bullied joined together. What happened was that we found another place to go (the music area/the stage) and just didn't bother with them.
  • Options
    That's funny. It might explain what happened with our American Idol show. A 300+ lbs African American with a great voice won.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    You're probably right. All the groups have to be played up to or you wouldn't get elected. I don't get the kissing up to the teacher's and principal part though.

PNJ you need the teachers and headmaster's support in order to be able to get things passed surely? Therefore, you kiss up to them so they think you're a good guy and will back you when you suggest something. Are you running? Tell us more about it..
  • Options
    I can't see myself getting elected. I'm sooo honest. And then later if someone changes my mind...I do change my mind. But people know exactly what I think at the moment.

I don't sound very electable do I?:rolleyes:

But I seem to attract honest friends too...so that's a plus.:thumb:
  • Options
    You did need to stick fairly firmly to a policy, if you are elceted you will be on your polices so it will be no good if you change them as soon as your in........
  • Options
    It all just seemed dishonest to me. Like they were playing up to people instead of just talking about things that could be improved. For instance, we used to have burgers in the lunch room 'til some fat kid's parents said the school was setting a bad example. Well, I think the parents are setting a bad example and I think if the guy would surf etc. like me or run or walk or anything, he could totally pig out and still be thin. He's a gamer when he's home. (So I suppose his wrists are thin.)
  • Options
    Don't see that there is anything wrong with healthy food, you are only not putting on weight because you are young and probably have a good metabolism, you will do in a few years time if you scoff a lot of burgers..........
  • Options
    But I guess my point is, as a student president, I would fight against that action. The whole school had to suffer because of one heavy kid. My dad said they might have been trying to avoid silly lawsuits like McDonald's is enduring from people who claim eating at McDonald's made them fat.