Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Low Cost Airlines...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone used any of the low cost airlines to fly anywhere sunny in Europe?

If so what places can you recommend?

I've only used one once.. that was Ryan Air to fly to Turin for £4.50p + TAX. I'd certainly recommend Turin for a weekend break, but reckon it would be pretty boring during the week if you didn't know anyone there or speak Italian.

Was considering easyjet or Ryan Air to places like Malaga, Ibiza, etc although I've been told sometime they are a bit loose with the description of the airports and they can be miles away .. Anyone have any experience of these places or airlines?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    bmi baby fly from east midlands airport to quite a few places...i got a return to munich for £48 including tax
  • Options
    have been to a few places on easyjet (from Luton) and never have had any problems
    Athens in particular was fantastic
    Barcelona was really good too
    I think a lot of the airports might be out of town but they do have reasonable transport links.

Although in athens we got the bus to the airport, against all warnings. we had to stand in the middle of this square at 4 am and flag it down.:lol: the we proceeded to the airport at what felt like 100 mph, came to a bus stop, someone else stuck out their hand. the driver started to break, probably thought I'm not going to stop anywhere near the bus stop so just put his foot down!
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    have been to a few places on easyjet (from Luton) and never have had any problems
    Athens in particular was fantastic
    Barcelona was really good too
    I think a lot of the airports might be out of town but they do have reasonable transport links.

Although in athens we got the bus to the airport, against all warnings. we had to stand in the middle of this square at 4 am and flag it down.:lol: the we proceeded to the airport at what felt like 100 mph, came to a bus stop, someone else stuck out their hand. the driver started to break, probably thought I'm not going to stop anywhere near the bus stop so just put his foot down!

So what was so good about Athens? I always imagine it as a set of ruins? .. obviously there's much more to it then that.
  • Options
    Yes it is ruins, but loads of culture and other stuff too :D
    we went in early Jan one year it was about 17-18 degrees, so it was warm without being poluted or oppressive. All the orange trees were in full fruit. all the sites had hardly any tourists. Teh musems empty. Some of the more modern buidings are interesting. I'll find some pics and post them... the glam part of town was like any other capital city's. From the top of lakyvitos Hill the views of the city are amazing
    We just had such a chilled long weekend that it sticks in my mind.
    I have a bit of a thing about greece anyway, (philosophy, Homer, etc)
  • Options
    MykeMyke Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Ryanair

Just be aware that some airports that Ryanair fly to are usually smaller airports a fair treck away from the actually city or town.

Another thing with Ryanair (When I flew, not 100% sure now) is that the seats are unreserved, wich can result in couples and families making a mad dash onto the plane to make sure they get seats together.

But on the other hand, they do have some great bargains on their website and at the end of the day you get what you pay for.