Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Third World

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :D
    Actually my family name is apparently descended from the Normans who themselves were descended from Scandinavia!
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    For subjects as Hirstory and languages of course you get a statement along with the grade.
    But on a subject like maths, chemistry, and physichs you can get a right or wrong, and a grade to tell you how right or wrong you were.

Passing or non passing grades can make hell of an improvement.

I see your point, but "out here in the fields" (quote The Who song - Wont get fooled again:D)

You know an engineer can be a genious with a hundred top grades, but whats matters when he has to get a job is his ability to cooporate and work as a part of a group... these things are very improtant later in life...
    But surely assessing a child on their teamwork skills and then having an official assessment for all time is unfair (is that what you are suggesting?)
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    But surely assessing a child on their teamwork skills and then having an official assessment for all time is unfair (is that what you are suggesting?)

No... i just think it's old fashioned the way it is marked with only one single number

Today you arent marked with your grades for life!? when you finished your education and starts to work it doesn't matter anymore...

If you look at how the world look today, how the company's train their staff in teamwork project training and such i just dont think it matches the grade system...

we should have a more flexible way of evaluating the students...

it shouldnt all come down to one achievement one exam one grade....

whats says the most about a person works and how good he is, 50 words og a two digit grade?
    I agree. I think grades can be helpful but that they are not everything and too much emphasis is put on them.

As you say though in the real world they are not the msot important thing.........
    I agree. I think grades can be helpful but that they are not everything and too much emphasis is put on them.

As you say though in the real world they are not the msot important thing.........

Actually my old teacher at my school who teaches "company teachings" (how a firm is put together and such) he's an architacht and used to employ people and he said in some cases too good grades are bad for you, because people tend to combine high grades with low social life if you know what i mean?

not saying you that you shouldnt try your best, but its a fact he said...
    Mmmmm possibly but if I was hiring someone i wouldn't think that way...
    Mmmmm possibly but if I was hiring someone i wouldn't think that way...

I know, :)

But what leaders do think about is how that person fits in the group he has to work with, how good he cooporates, his work morale and if he can solve the assignments he is presented with...
    Indeed.

Its difficult to assess such things though, I suppose it is natural for us to want to quantify things, even when it is not entirely appropriate......
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Many of the third's world problems are self-inflicted.

Take Africa. It's not the West's fault that there has been a lot of political instabilty and war. The West does not also inspire African nations to possess corrupt governments.

The third world needs to help itself in addition to receiving aid from the West.

Corrupt governments always come out in hard times. Take European history: During the 1930's depression some countries, Germany and Italy, because facists countries.

Its the same today. Until the economy is stable, a stable government can't be reached. Its a vicious cycle though...
    if you read through this entire thread you will see that deep down i'm right. no one realy gives a flying fuck! lip service. move your lips and voice your concerns and move on.
    blaming your governments is a fucking cop out. you do something if they won't.
    george harrison and bob dylan did it for bangladesh in the early seventies. then theres bob geldof and his crew. if hard drinking drug taking pop song singers are good at saving millions for a short while ...just think what you educated, inteligent, clean living folks could do ...it's called charity, it's called money, it's called being actualy bothered enough to ..............give.
    you got a wallet? you got some time ...no i thought not.
    I just worked out that I have had formal exams (mock or otherwise) for the last 6 summers of my life and if i don't take a gap year, for another four more. Thats TEN YEARS of being tested every summer!!!
    True mr roll,nobody does really give a fuck except for the hard drinking drug taking musicians that are trying to do something but how many people on here can honestly say that they would give money to charity and actually give a fuck about the nobodies on this planet.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if you read through this entire thread you will see that deep down i'm right. no one realy gives a flying fuck! lip service. move your lips and voice your concerns and move on.
    blaming your governments is a fucking cop out. you do something if they won't.
    george harrison and bob dylan did it for bangladesh in the early seventies. then theres bob geldof and his crew. if hard drinking drug taking pop song singers are good at saving millions for a short while ...just think what you educated, inteligent, clean living folks could do ...it's called charity, it's called money, it's called being actualy bothered enough to ..............give.
    you got a wallet? you got some time ...no i thought not.

My family gives around £2000 a year to charity. I give to beggars and buy Big issue.
    Some people do care
    I do care for the injustices in the world and try to do what i can about them
    I give to a variety of charities, do voluntry work, community work donating time, money and resources. My mum since the death of my dad has committed her life to voluntry work - working with refugees and people facing massive human rights abuse, putting her own life on the life at times. Many of my friends give both time and money
    I give to save the children.

But giving to charity does not solve the problem, that can only come about with time and by changing both the economic sytem and the political systems of many of the nations involved.

And M.Roll, only those with power can do that.

As has been shown recently, the popstarts may have helped in the 80's, all that charity money given but Ethiopia is very little better off now....
    dying of starvation,

not to mention what's going on in the Congo.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    not to mention what's going on in the Congo.

and guess whos funding/fuelling that!
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    and guess whos funding/fuelling that!

Rwanda and Uganda at the moment I believe...
    As well as the international arms trade - Which is mostly supported by the US/UK.
    I very much doubt that the militants in the Congo are equipped primarily with US or UK weaponry, they may have indirectly acquired some but I doubt it was directly form companies based in the UK/US.

it is also a big leap to say the international arms trade is primarily basedin these two conutries can you back that up?

THe US/Uk aren't to blame fro everything.............
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    your just a rightwing american flag waving anti european ...you know nothing.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Pro UK....all the way!
    Exactly.
    Yes well private schools do better because not everyone can afford to get in and those that can tebd to be the children of successful people i.e in todays economy: intelligent people.
    I think a bigger reason for private schools to do better is that they can afford to have a better teacher:pupil ratio, they can get better teachers since they can afford higher salaries, and they can pick and choose much more about who they allow in, and offer scholorships to more intelligent people.
    Banning grades is so stupid.
    Yes, but...
    Already we start too late with the grades, completely dismissing them is a total joke.
    We have SATs from Year 2. 7 year olds are getting exam stress. Schools are under pressure to do well so that they can get extra funding. And you say we start grading too late? How can you grade someone on how well they work and how intelligent they are when they haven't even passed puberty?
    Originally posted by TellMeWhoAreYou
    Seriously i was a lazy fuck in school never did my homework but was good at the exams, wich resultet in good grades. Isn't it misleading?
    This is why a lot of courses have large coursework components
    I very much doubt that the militants in the Congo are equipped primarily with US or UK weaponry, they may have indirectly acquired some but I doubt it was directly form companies based in the UK/US.

it is also a big leap to say the international arms trade is primarily basedin these two conutries can you back that up?

THe US/Uk aren't to blame fro everything.............

I read in the Guardian (it was quite a small article so I haven't been able to find it on their website) that a weapons company from the UK has been selling automatic rifle ammo magazines to factions fighting in the Congo. Maybe not the US/UK directly, but the weapons companies that they support with taxpayers money are.
    Me_and, TellMeWhoAreYou and I (and Toadborg, the new telepathic Dane :p) were talking about the grading system in Denmark, as that's where we're from :)
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    I read in the Guardian (it was quite a small article so I haven't been able to find it on their website) that a weapons company from the UK has been selling automatic rifle ammo magazines to factions fighting in the Congo. Maybe not the US/UK directly, but the weapons companies that they support with taxpayers money are.

Yes I can believe that but as I said I doubt that most of their weapons come form the UK/US and I doubt it is the root of the problem.........

Me and: Exactly private schools aren't better for some magic special reason, it is because they get more money and can turn away less intelligent pupils, if state schools had the same admission policies and the same amount of money they would do as well.......

Jacq: I don't look very Danish, I am quite dark and I imagine Danes as being normally blonde (apart form you)
    Me_and, TellMeWhoAreYou and I (and Toadborg, the new telepathic Dane :p) were talking about the grading system in Denmark, as that's where we're from :)
    I'm not from Denmark :confused:
    I'm just posting for the sake of argument :p

Jacq: I don't look very Danish, I am quite dark and I imagine Danes as being normally blonde (apart form you)
    We'll be in the minority together.