Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ah .... shit ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Quite a problem here guys, could use some input.

I'm a student and have been with my girlfriend for 6 months. Shes amazing and we have this great connection. Anyway last month whilst having sex (I ALWAYS use protection, i'm incredibly safe when it comes to sex) the condom split. Anyway my GF took the morning after pill and we thought enough of it.

Anway this month she told me her period was late, so I went straight out and got a pregnancy test - which was positive.

There wasn't any tears just this weird feeling that both made us laugh! I know that sounds stupid but it was the only thing I could think to do i was so shocked.

Anyway, her friend went through a messy abortion a couple of years back that totally screwed her head up. I'm studying, shes a student nurse and this is a problem :/ I'm not going to pressure her to do anything at the minute, i'm responsible and accept that accidents DO happen - however its not liike this has happened to me before and i'm at a total loss. We've made an appointment to see the doctor next week so i'll see what he has to say, but any other advice/experiences would be appreciated.

Regards,

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, not pressurising your partner is best thing to do, it will only end in tears or resentment at a later date if you do....

I thought there were potential problems if the morning after pill had been taken but the pregnancy continued?

Deff a question worth asking when you go and see the DR next week....

Good luck....
  • Options
    Originally posted by little_uk_bro
    I thought there were potential problems if the morning after pill had been taken but the pregnancy continued?

As far as I know (from my school nurse), the MAP won't have hurt the baby if the pregancy continues. There could be a problem if a woman carried on taking a daily contraceptive pill, though.

That's just what I think :confused:

Ersy it sounds like you're thinking about this maturely and doing the right thing. Be there for her and talk over the options when she wants to. She will be feeling very confused and so will need support (as you're obviously aware).

As I said on another thread here, I would keep the baby if I got pregnant but I'm not anti-abortion in other cases - I just feel that I wouldn't be able to do it. Your girlfriend will have a lot of thinking to do, but I'm sure you'll come to the right decision.

It's really good that you're both going to see a doctor, his/her advice will help you a lot. And well done for being such a supportive, responsible boyfriend.
  • Options
    No the MAP wont effect the baby in anyway you sound very mature and its good your not pressuring your gf, the best thing to do is talk about it see how your gf feels about it and tell her how you feel about. You should be able to sort somthing out but support your gf in whatever you choose abortions can be just as hard as having a child for some people they never forgive them selves.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone

Ersy it sounds like you're thinking about this maturely and doing the right thing. Be there for her and talk over the options when she wants to. She will be feeling very confused and so will need support (as you're obviously aware).

It's really good that you're both going to see a doctor, his/her advice will help you a lot. And well done for being such a supportive, responsible boyfriend.
    :yes: I agree with LSS.

Just an additional thought - you said you bought a pregnancy test which she's taken? Don't rely on this, but they have been known to be wrong - she should maybe ask her doctor to do one so that you're both absolutely sure.

Good luck to you both with it, I have never been in a situation like this so I can't offer you personal experience or advice, but I hope you manage to come through it well :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Just an additional thought - you said you bought a pregnancy test which she's taken? Don't rely on this, but they have been known to be wrong - she should maybe ask her doctor to do one so that you're both absolutely sure.

That's what I thought too. I said this a while ago in another thread though, and I was told that the ones you buy at the chemist are just as effective as the ones the doctor does.

I personally would do another one just to make sure - can you afford to buy another one?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I personally would do another one just to make sure - can you afford to buy another one?
    If you're going to see the doctor, he can give you another one for free.
    :yes: to all the other posters. Good on the maturity thing and everything. Whatever happens, good luck.
  • Options
    I actually talked to the chemist about the pregnancy test I bought (a clear blue hometest I believe) and he told me it was the one the doctors actually use now :/ (quite a surreal experience standing in the doctors talking about pregnancy to a complete stranger)

Thanks for the feedback so far, any other experiences would be appreciated. I'm off to finish my vodka now :crazyeyes