Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A career in the police force?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey!

Is anyone here in the police force? Cos I am interested in joining, and I have looked up all the requirements etc but I was just wondering if you are in the force do you enjoy it? Are you glad you chose that career? Etc.

I would be really grateful if someone could me here lol thanks :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i've been thinking about joining the police force too. i have a family member who is copper and they love it. my friends dad was in the police too and he was earning a packet until he retired 36,000 a yr!they've told me its extremely hard work and you have to be very dedicated, but i think it would be really rewarding.
    Id love to join the police force, if only they paid a little better!

The most a copper can make is about 70K/year im guessing...
    and 70k a years not a lot of money?:eek2:
    Originally posted by Sprouts
    and 70k a years not a lot of money?:eek2:

Obviously not! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say no to 70k a year - that's for sure!
    No neither would I!

What I meant was that its the absoloute maximum you can earn as a policeman...

Only the top 16 policeman in the country earn that, and there are 100 000 police officers!

But say if you were to go for a career in banking, or insurance or something in the private sector your salary isnt limited in the same way, you can earn up to £3 million a year...Although obviously not all of them do.
    My friend applied to be a cop, but they told him you need to be in the country for at least 3 years, he's Asian and they are really keen to get people from different ethic groups in the police now.

My friend left India because he was fed up with corruption - there everyone was after a bribe for anything.

Think he's done 3 years now - so he might reapply.
    I wouldn't be sure about joining the police force here in N.Ireland,would get criticism for being a Catholic maybe,but joining the police force in America like New York would be good.:yes:
    A good friend of mine is in the police force and he seems to like it very much. You do have to be prepared to work alot though, I am told it can be very demanding.
    Yea im sure it would be demanding to work in the police force,trying to capture criminals and also a dangerous job.
    One of my cousans is in CID. He started out as uniform and worked his way up. Think he joined is his early 20s and his about 30 now. 10 years or so in the police...Gotta be quite good.