Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone ever done a research project before?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has ever done a research project before? You know with analysis of dta and a review of literature and stuff? Thing is my analysis of data is only like 200 hundred words or so, and I'm thinking it should be more than that. My questionnaire only had about 10 questions and I only managed to ask about 48 responses. So what else could I do to interpret the data? I know its a bit daft asking this since you would need the questionnaire, but what else can I do? I'm looking at whether Scottish Music should be included in the Scottish school curriculum. Many thanks for any help at all :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    is this first degree, masters, MPHil, PhD???
    Why don't you do a couple of focus groups with the concerned parties. Get some qualitative data together p'raps and then you can analyse that?

I knew my marketing degree would come in useful one day...
    Oh my god I feel your pain! Stupid sociology lecturer in FIRST year journalism thought it would be nice to give us something different for a change. It was so not fun and I so didn't do well. . .good luck!
    waffle!! i know exactly how you feel (and i know there's almost an identical answer to mine being typed beside me but....). just analyse the literature/ text that you're proposing the study on, then whip up a few questions. you can propose mental things since you don't really have to do them (if you do, that's a whole 'nother kettle o fish). so...propose going abroad and doing focus groups then moan about the expense. hey, it brought my word count to 2,881.

i will have better advice when i find my one....
    Assuming it's a dissertation or similar and you're at uni, then 10000 words total is what you normally aim for.

I did a dissertation for my MPhys project (physics) and it turned out to be nearly 10000 words with the intro and theory being about six pages (I guess about 800 words or something) and the actual analysis of the data was the bulk of it.

Remember, you're data is the justification for your argument so it must be fairly lengthy in comparison to the rest of the report. Are there any statistical analyses you can do on it?