Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoking - I'm giving up (Again)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right...I just had a vision of me in the throws of a heart attack.

I've never seen anyone having a heart attack but my dad died of one suddenly and I 've realised I don't want it to happen to me.

So...I'm giving up NOW. Obviously I have given up before and I know, therefore, that its difficult but I didn't start til I was 26 and I am really scared of the effect it has on your health.

I need help - so please keep giving me support....i think I'm going to need it (specially over Glastonbury Weekend!!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Smoking - I'm giving up (Again)
    Originally posted by byny
    I need help - so please keep giving me support....i think I'm going to need it (specially over Glastonbury Weekend!!)

Ok if YOU have decided its the right time then good luck, im sure you will quit. You know how hard its going to be so just try not to put yourself in the situation where you may fancy a ciggy.

Drink water, try to kep yourself busy because if youe bored thats when you fancy a fag. I remember when I quit I was doing chores all the time just to keep my mind off having that fag. Try eating fruit, you may feel hungry so you might start eating the wrong foods then come back later saying ive put on too much weight ;)
    Seriously just be careful what you pick at if you do feel hungry.

In the morning if thats when you fancy a fag change your routine, if your anything like me it will be a cup of tea and a fag, so instead have a glass of water then breakfast straight away. I think changing your routine is the most important thing because if you dont you could find that you might be tempted to light up.

Some people say move all ashtrays, I think thats a personal choice. I didnt and it did not affect me.

I cant really think of much else at this moment, but if I have any tips I will be back.

Good luck, I hope you do quit......for good :)

Edited to add..... I am back on fags as I think people know, but you never know soon as I want to pack in for ME it might be me here asking you for advice and tips when im ready to quit :)
    Ok...

Come on byny! You can do it! Beat those fags! Beat them!
    yay you!

i gave up on sunday night...can't believe how ok i'm being aswell...its weird!

My tip is not to carry cash around with you so you can't just nip into the shop and buy some. Also lots of chewing gum. :D
    I used to smoke in my breaks at school a lot and it when I gave up (although I wasn't a heavy smoker) I found it hard to get out of the habit of going for a fag with my fellow smokers. So a good tip is to try to avoid hanging around with people who smoke eg when you're on your breaks at work.
    I've stopped since the 17th May (Had a little slip up last weekend but the footie was very nerve-raking!) and was finding it hard and easy.

I've found the best thing is as others have said, to break out of your habits. The guys here still disappear for ciggie breaks and I've had to actually stop myself a couple of times from automatically standing up and joining them.

But It's now been about a week and half and I feel great. Stick with it cause it is worth it. You can actually taste food after a while and the coughing stops :D
    I hear taking a nice clean glass of water and getting you smoker friends to put their old stubbs in it helps.

Looks arwful when you look at it and really sickening!! Try smoking after looking at the glass - also get a jar and put money in it to the same value of the amount you'd spend on ciggies and what how fast it grows!!
    OK - honesty time...About half an hour after I wrote my original post I lit up another fag and merrily carried on smoking. (Oh how I hated myself) ..

However, On Monday (This week) I felt so bad that I just stopped so its been 4 days and no fags. I keep telling myself 'I am a non smoker' and it seems to have worked! HURRAH!!
    Originally posted by byny
    However, On Monday (This week) I felt so bad that I just stopped so its been 4 days and no fags. I keep telling myself 'I am a non smoker' and it seems to have worked! HURRAH!!

Wheyyyyy WELL DONE !!!!!!!!!

Im really pleased for you :D

Not wanting to put a dampner on it by no means but if you at all feel tempted please try and resist. You have gone this length of time without so you can do it. Dont do what I did and light up after a long time thinking "oh im only going to have one" because that one will turn to 3 - 4 - 5 and then you will be back on them.

Good on ya :thumb:
    Yeah - you're right - I've been there before. I did have some 'Ah just one' feelings on Tuesday but I resisted. Had to go through the whole conversation in my head but it worked.

Anyway - I went on this course for work on Wednesday and there was a really cool man there doing a bit called 'the art of not doing' and it was all about not butting up walls etc..I knew what he was getting at from the start because I am a bit zen like, but one thing he said really meant a lot to me.

He basically said that when you give up smoking there is usually a little voice saying things like 'well, one wont harm me and anyway my aunty mabel smoked til she was 90 and it never did her any harm....' etc etc ...but all you have to do is say 'I AM A NON SMOKER' and believe it and it will stop you...Its working for me!!