Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Move the EU's headquarters to London...or else.

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Luxembourg's.

Besides, they have to make up for the Saddam account they lost....laundering his money.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    And actually Jacq, Luxembourg does house some of the EU's instutional staff. It is one of the three working centres (Brussels, Luxembourg, Strasbourg).

Zurich would be out of consideration given that Switzerland is not a member of the EU.

Should have typed after I went to sleep, not before :)
    Why i didn't think of Strasbourg I do not know. Some close friends of ours worked there for many years, and will probably go back soon.

pnj, why are you so eager to change it?
    The worlds best/safest banking systems are in the countries of the cities mentioned above.

It's actually pretty logical that the headqaurters are in mainland central Europe.
    And why it should be in the UK, i do not know. The Brits (like the Danes unfortunately) are very skeptical about the EU. It's not as if they're embracing the issue, and get "robbed" from an opportunity, they've looked forward to.
    They haven't.
    So get over it.
    The EU is probably a good idea...taken even further: eliminate all of the extra federal governments in the region. Make the countries like states. It could easily work like the US...with states rights and federal jurisdiction rights.
    LOL. you change your tune as often as Boston weather!
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The EU is probably a good idea...taken even further: eliminate all of the extra federal governments in the region. Make the countries like states. It could easily work like the US...with states rights and federal jurisdiction rights.

Part of Europes charm is the indivduality.
    I like the US' system, and see that it works well.

But Europe will never be as united, and it's ok. We're surviving, and well.
    I agree Jac
    I agree Jac

Despite all your bogus claims to 0% growth for the EU so far this year? (which is patently incorrect btw). :rolleyes:

First 2 quarters 2003 economic growth rates:

US 2.4%
    EU 1.3%
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    LOL. you change your tune as often as Boston weather!
    Change of user more like... :rolleyes:
    i've got a better idea for you surferboy, one i'm sure you'll see the sense in, why not move the headquarters to washington?
    And Monocrat the truth is revealed: Clandestine and company want London to be degraded further as a financial capital.

I like the way you sneak in the word 'further', why has it been degraded at all or did you just say that to try and represent something that isn't true (not like you have to try)
    "Further" in that France, Belgium and Germany are doing their best to make Frankfurt the continent's financial capital. Although, as a front, they'll promote Lux, of Belgium...countries that have historial alliances with the two playas.

Question for you Toadborg. Why wouldn't you want the UK to demand the headquarters of the EU be in London. It would bring good paying jobs and the UK has a much better track record in integrating immigrants of all kinds. My proof? Belgium just had riots from the Arab community that shut down its port.

Question for you Toadborg. Why wouldn't you want the UK to demand the headquarters of the EU be in London. It would bring good paying jobs and the UK has a much better track record in integrating immigrants of all kinds. My proof? Belgium just had riots from the Arab community that shut down its port.

Actually Sweden are one of the best countries to integrate immigrants.

Headquarters in the UK would geographically be unlogical, due to the seperaton of the mainland.
    So far it's working well as it is, so want to move to Europe so your voice actually counts?
    "Further" in that France, Belgium and Germany are doing their best to make Frankfurt the continent's financial capital. Although, as a front, they'll promote Lux, of Belgium...countries that have historial alliances with the two playas.

Well why would France and Belgium want it to be in Frankfurt Pj?

Or do they possibly have a view beyond narrow nationa self-interest (though the benefits would be dubious)

I agree with Jacq.

Also if you study the history of how the Eu was founded you will see why NW continental Europe is the heart of Europe........
    Originally posted by Toadborg

I agree with Jacq.

:eek:

:birthday: and drinking.gif for celebration :D
    Not that amazing is it! :crazyeyes

Cheers for the little party there though, I enjoyed it :)
    Despite all your bogus claims to 0% growth for the EU so far this year?

No it's 0% Clandestine. I just read it yesterday.
    Clan, your figures are they for the EU as a whole or the Eurozone specifically? It would be interesting to contrast Britain, America and the Eurozone as nations.
    Source?

Where were yours form as well Clan?
    The figure was for the whole of the EU, since that was what pnj was spouting about.

Doing a search on google for first quarter economic growth in Europe has turned up some new finds I hadnt seen the first time round...

This article on the UK's first quarter performance:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,943483,00.html

puts it at only 0.2%. The war had a major impact on slowing growth evidenctly.

For the Eurozone, what i believe pnj was referring to was the GDP indicators which reflect only industrial growth as a factor of overall economic performance (not counting forex markets, inflationary countermeasures, and other indicators.)

I refer to Eurostat for data.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/eurostat/Public/datashop/print-catalogue/EN?catalogue=Eurostat

But ill not get deeply embroiled in pn's attempts to slander Europe on the basis of indicators which even i only have a marginal comprehension of. Not being an economist I leave such things to those with heads for numbers and stats.

Care to jump in Kev? This is more your bag than mine.