Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dirty Spongers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    So? Still doesn't make taxation 'stealing' or even wrong.

It does make it theft and it makes it wrong.
    Respect for the law can also be involuntary. But under your 'total freedom' ideal no one should stop me from murdering a rich person and stealing their money. Which would be of much worse consequences for the rich person than paying tax.

When have I advocated total freedom?
  • Options
    I think the New Deal was a great idea, making sure those on unemployment benefit are actively looking for work and not just sponging. Hopefully, the national minimum wage should mean that peole in jobs are not living in poverty.

As for executive salaries,
    Yes a line worker is reponsible if one or two cars leave the factory with a defect, but if the whole company goes bust it is the management's fault. They are responsible for the whole company so are under a lot of stress. I believe bosses do need to be compensated for their responsibility with high pay, but some of the high pay packets reported in the media are far too excessive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    I think the New Deal was a great idea, making sure those on unemployment benefit are actively looking for work and not just sponging.

I sympathise with people who sponge. Why the hell should they work in degradation for nearly nothing because of their circumstances?

A true capitalist would say because otherwise society doesn't work. But if I was in that position then I wouldn't want society to work, I'd wish it every harm I could.

Its easy for us to go on about spongers and the like till our faces go blue, saying we've paid our dues because we had to work in Sainsbury's for a few months when we were a student and so we know its possible to work like that.

But maybe if you spent a day living on the poverty line, working for other's profits with no real prospects for yourself you'd harbour contempt and hatred enough to be comfortable with "sponging" instead of working for faceless bastards who pay you shit.

Pay everyone the same and call them equal, then I'll have some contempt for "spongers"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Hopefully, the national minimum wage should mean that peole in jobs are not living in poverty.

What happens is if someone is working lets say 35 hrs with a minimum wage and they happen to be only £1.00 over the amount the government say they need to live on. So by the time they pay all their bills they are working for nothing, but someone who is signing on will still get rent rebates, council tax rebates etc.
    So what would you do in the same shoes?

Some people would say "I want to work" and continue working even if they would be worse off, but on the other hand you would have a large amount of people who would say "stuff it im not working when im better off on the dole"

It depends on circumstances of different people as to wether they would still be living in poverty even getting the national minimum wage. I.E how many dependant people in the house, amount they pay mortgage etc.

Im not so sure wether more people are better off even though they are working.
  • Options
    My mum was a janitoress, a cleaner for two houses and worked in a takeaway and she kept her 4 jobs down for 15 years until she got an ulcer and it burst. she now has arthritis and suffers pain in her stomach and legs and her hands. She contributed to the government during that and before that when she worked in a factory since she was 16. Now she is on benefit because she cant work. she wants to but is under strict medical guidance from her doctor not to so is shea sponger?

I THINK NOT!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    It does make it theft and it makes it wrong.

But people vote for the government, you could vote for a party (or form one) that wouldn't tax you, you are free to do that but it would appear people don't agree with you.....:p