Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Taxes.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im just wondering, who came up with the idea of paying taxes at 16 when you cant vote until 18? People could be paying taxes to a government that they do not support, but cannot even vote out of office.

Should voting be reducded to 16? To give the few that would bother to vote :rolleyes: a chance to have there say?

Should it left as it is?

Or should people start paying taxes at 18?

(Now ive started thinking about it i can think of lots of odd age things....theyll be later;) )

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you pay full tax from the age of 16 in the UK? :eek2:
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Do you pay full tax from the age of 16 in the UK? :eek2:

i think so, if your in employment though you can get some thing to get off it for part time work.

Cant get unemployment benifit til 18 either though?
    It does seem unfair but really 10 year olds pay VAT when they buy things but I wouldn't give them the vote. I think 18 is a reasonable age for voting and like you say i doubt many 16 year olds would exercise the right (not that many others do either :rolleyes: :( )
    So make Tax 18!
    If you're in full-time education, you don't have to pay tax whether you're 18 or not....I don't pay any now. But the gap between my A-Levels and going to uni, will I have to pay tax? I agree with taxation (if over 18, tis silly taxing those who can't vote), but not when people earn pittance, like I will be doing.
    Yes you would have to pay tax if you work between A-levels and uni.
    Do you pay full tax from the age of 16 in the UK?

If you work and are not in full time education, then yes.
    No, youre all wrong.

You have to pay tax regardless of if you are in full time education or not, if you earn over the threshold for income tax, which currently stands at about £78 a week. If you only work three hours after school for one day a week, but earn £30/hour, you are still liable for income tax- the threshold is £4600 gross.

As for the voiting issue, I think that if you earn over £4600 in a year then you should be entitled to the vote, regardless of age. The Americans were right (even if the quote was never uttered): taxation without representation is tyrrany. If it happened in Iraq itd be an abuse of human rights :rolleyes: