Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Acne and Chocolate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've read time and time again and seen many so called experts on TV say chocolate does NOT cause spots, but I reckon they are talking rubbish.

My cousin just got back from the USA and asked if I wanted anything .. I said some American chocolate (Hershey's) anyway been munching on them for most of the week when I usually hardly ever eat choclate and last two days I've got tonnes of spots .. I reckon like most of these old wives tales this one is true.

What do you guys think from your own experiences?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't eat chocolate, or any other rubbish wrapped in a colourful wrapper disguised as 'food'.
    Anyway, because you said you don't usually eat chocolate, I think it was just a reaction because you did something different.
    I don't think that regular chocolate eating causes spots, but I think changing habits does. For example, if you suddenly start to use a different soap from the one that you use now, you'll probably get spots.
    I used to get spots when i smoked even if it was jus half a fag, nt like millions but like 2, its not alot but still 2 more than normal.
    What's making me wonder is these are American chocolates as well and they have such a rich taste to them - wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Usually if I eat UK chocolate it's like a Kit Kat or something.
    I am not an expert but there is a difference between spots and acne. Most people get a few spots now and again, for girls beofre their period or maybe if run down or eating lots of junk.

Acne is sustained spots, lots of them, over a long period of time.

There is no proof, but eating healthily can only help your body create a good balance.
    on my hobby horse again

high insulin can casue both spots and acne - it increases the secreation and consistancy of sebum
    chocolate will probably cause high levels of insulin,
    therefor a possible connection