Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

fasting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just seen John Malcovic on Grayham Norton then flicked over to channel five where Kim Wilde and some other celebs went on a detox holiday..

Was wondering if anyone has ever fasted?

Is it worth it? I'm thinking of trying to eat fruit and veg for a week or so and seeing what a difference it makes (and hopefully not smoking) but perhaps it will just mean that afterwards I'll go back to eating pies and chips and put weight on, get spotty etc.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well I have trouble with my weight as some people on here know, and im a vegetarian as it is, and i lost a hell of a lot of weight when i started that 5 years ago. I've starved myself, which i would say is pretty much the same as 'fasting', and i wouldnt say its a particularly wonderful experience, Im still ill form it all now.

But the fruit and vegetable thing, thats basically being a veggie for a week, and its dead easy. I could certainly feel the difference after a month of not eating meat, but then i started microwave meals and now i dont eat much at all, so it can go either way really. depends on yourself i think.

I've never fasted for religious reasons or anything thouhg. Probably because Im an aethiest!
    I have tried going on a diet of fruit and vegetables, drinking only water herb tea or pure friut juice and found it hard to stick to for a long time, but for a week it was ok (it was supposed to be a 2 week clensing diet). It did me some good, I was very careful to start bringing other foods back into my diet slowly. I think in the long run its better to find a diet that is not that extreme, something that you can fit into your everyday life. (that includes eating ICE CREAM ;) )
    i agree angelic girl. i have to fast next month as i have to get tests done at the hospital and im dreading it and thats only for a day!!!!:lol:
    fasting can be dangerous. it should not be done without the support of a professional (nutritionalist/naturopath (and I am both)). for cleansing purposes fasts under 3 days are a waste of time. 3-7 days is better.
    a fast is a fast - and should be water only if done at all. there are lots of alternatives, one being, making sure you don't get in a state in the first place.
    As to one day fasts, most of us eat way too much anyway and missing a couple of meals should be okay. Try to do something else constructive at meal times. in religion fasting is never just fasting but prayer and fasting: ie you doing something with the time.