Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pressure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Undoubtubly this has been done many times before, but how did you overcome pressure (if you had any). The reason i ask is that my grandad has been helping me for sometime now, he says that i should jus try my best and thats all that matters but i know that if i get a B instead of an A he would be dissapointed.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Ya know what? Its all about knowing that you're doin' it for yourself, no one else. As long as you are happy with what you get then it shouldnt matter to anyone else. And more to the point, yes, all that should matter is that you did your best. No one can ask for anything more!
  • Options
    At present I am pressured with deadlines and one exam however i am getting the not so important stuff out the way last and tackling the must do urgent list first. At present I'm shattered cos I didn't sleep well last night due to my hoover like computer! so I'm postponing it all not good but its best to not work when you are tired.
  • Options
    i'm simply not overcoming it. If i don't feel pressured, I know I won't revise.
  • Options
    Re: Pressure
    Originally posted by EmpzB
    Undoubtubly this has been done many times before, but how did you overcome pressure (if you had any). The reason i ask is that my grandad has been helping me for sometime now, he says that i should jus try my best and thats all that matters but i know that if i get a B instead of an A he would be dissapointed.

aah.. that's so sweet that you have a grandparent to help you .. two of mine died before I was born, one of one them lived abroad so really didn't know him and the other lived with us until she died . but she didn't speak any english so barely communicated with her.

Sounds like you have lots of family that love you and actually take the time to teach you things .. I never had any of those things .. take comfort in that .. pressure and stress is something people create in their minds.
  • Options
    My advice, and I have done plenty of exams (being at uni for 4 years), is to look at the wider picture. Would it be so bad if you didn't get excellent grades? Sure you'd be dissapointed at first but you'd soon realise good exams don't equal life. So many people have good, well paid jobs and they have never even considered university or whatever.

I think of education as a helping hand up the ladder of life. Each good grade helps you get up the ladder and further onto better jobs, happiness and so on. Not having qualifications just makes it a little more difficult to climb the ladder, but it's not impossible.
  • Options
    Your grandfather told you to try your best, so that is what you will do.

You say you know he will be disappointed, but I doubt he will be. Are these your GCSEs? If so, then really once you have A-Levels they will be of little consequence. As long as you get Cs you will fly through life being able to get most jobs that don't require degrees.

Tell your grandfather that all you can do is try your very best, and you intend to. I am pretty sure he will know that that is all that matters! :)
  • Options
    I have some of the most important exams of my life over the next few weeks but I don't feel too worried, I never do, I wish I was a bit really because I would probably get more work done but I was sitting at atble with this gut the other day and his mate was teeling him he should get some sleep and he was scribbling loads of notes and talking to himself and shaking and I wouldn't want ot be like that frankly...........
  • Options
    I'm sure Grandad will be pleased as long as you do your best. If you acquire a determined attitude you will get the grades you need, you just have to work damn hard. Success is only achieved by hard work.

I'm the kind of person whose only talent is doing well in exams, so if I don't do well, I have nothing. I am shitting myself because I have two and a half weeks to learn everything - but I know I can do it because my brain just switches into super memory retaining exam mode. I don't need 3 As, but I want them because I have to succeed academically. Exams are just a measure of how much knowledge you can retain though, so by such standards I'm not even intelligent really. :( I hate them.
  • Options
    Posted by Toadborg:
    scribbling loads of notes and talking to himself and shaking

You know someone like that too?