Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Terrorism.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is not the idea of terrorism to create widespread panic and terror ?

If so, then does it not follow that a policy of mass hysteria and huge changes to daily life in places such as the US is giving into the terrorists?

Is my logic flawed?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're dead on logically. But here's where I think the "levels" make sense. My aunt lives in upstate ny. The Hudson river cuts through mountains and farms. Well, they caught two men from Pakistan, who said they were tourists, taking pictures of a nuclear powerplant. They were tipped off to them because a local saw them and there was a terrorism alert. So to me that was an example of where it worked.

The threat levels also tell all of the thousands of local and state law enforcement people certain tasks to perform and coordinate with. NYC has been at a high level of alert since they were attacked...same with D.C.
    Well you would define an attack as terrorist if it induced terror but that is not necessarily the aim of the terrorists per se, so it is not necessarily 'giving in' as this would suggest allowing the terrorists to complete their objectives..........
    There is a fine line between panic and precautions.
    The royal family of Saudi Arabia announced something today that only they can do: they aren't going to allow hateful Muslim teachings anymore in the mosques. Whabbism is dead. They want the Kingdom to follow a moderate form of the Muslim religion. This hits at the cause of global terrorism today.
    Just because they won't allow it, doesn't mean it will cease to exists.

But yes, good for them.
    The of our homeland security said that the alerts, according to terrorists we've captured, help to discourage attacks. I don't know if that's true but that's what he's saying.
    dubya and his cronies are the ones putting fear and terror into the hearts of the american ignorants for their own fascist agendas.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    dubya and his cronies are the ones putting fear and terror into the hearts of the american ignorants for their own fascist agendas.

*agrees*

America seems to be using a lot of propaganda, i was there afew months ago before the war. In between the ads for huge enviroment damaging juggernaughts there were ads for the US services specifically directed to the Iraq war.
    Also in America they made it out the USA was following the UKs lead:rolleyes: