Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Way to go about.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, heres what i was thinking of doing.

Around my area there is absouloutly nothing for teens etc to do. I was thinking about writing to the local MP asking for them to build a skatepark or something near by (it was going to happen but somehow didnt a while back:( ). Anyway I was wondering if i would need to get as many signatures as i can on a particion (*sp) and whether to include about us getting our details taken by the police twice for doing nothing (could make us sound naughty lol).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    There's a skatepark in a section of the park next to me.
    It attracts people from all over town, but in the winters those same people resort to go to sweden in order to skate. After having the skating associations head making awareness of the case, they have finally opened an indoor skatetrack for winters.

If you do enough about it, gather enough people, and present it in a mature manner then you're a lot more likely to be heard.
    It could take years, but you could be creating a foundations for kids a bit younger than you. That's always something.
  • Options
    Were you blading or boarding when you got in trouble? Either way, being annoyance on the streets, making your own ramps etc. is a good way to get them to build a skating park...just to get all the skaters off the street.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Were you blading or boarding when you got in trouble? Either way, being annoyance on the streets, making your own ramps etc. is a good way to get them to build a skating park...just to get all the skaters off the street.

No, that's moronic.
  • Options
    We wernt skating, we were on our BMX's the first time just sat on a wall talking and joking, the second time we were in this abandond house because it was absoultly tippin down and we didnt want to get i'll for our GCSE's (see how sensible we are:D )
  • Options
    A good move would be to get parents involved, try and get the parents involved and you could possibly make it happen.

In our area they basically set up a fund raising comittee. Lots of teenagers got involved and they contacted the local newspaper telling them that there was nothing for teenagers to do, they got local people backing and fighting for them. They contacted the local council who gave them money. I beleive they got a lottery grant (although not 100% sure). The teenagers did like a packing day at the supermarket and helped shoppers pack their bags,they had tubs on the counter and people put money in the buckets. The teenagers got really into trying to raise money and with the help of different sponsorships, grants and the fundraising they made enough money to have a skateboard park.

It can happen but the people involved need to be committed, its hard work but at the end of the day the teenagers got what they wanted which was somewhere to actually go on an evening :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    No, that's moronic.
    :lol:

Good advice Becks.........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg

Good advice Becks.........

Cheers :)
  • Options
    Agree with Becks.

If you go for the "money for nothing" route then people won't support you. If - as Becks suggests - you work for the money and raise funds towards the overall cost then people will support you and the council will find it hard not to help...