Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleeping

I've got a bloody awful sleeping pattern.

Usually it involves going to bed at 3am and getting up at about 1pm.

Last night I went to sleep at 9pm and woke at 1am, only to stay awake for ages, and then sleep sometime before waking up at somewhere between 11am-1pm.

Any ideas of how to combat this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    loads of ideas but need more info
    what do you do all day?
    what do you eat?
    Drugs? Alcohol?
    Stresses...
    PM if you want
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    loads of ideas but need more info
    what do you do all day?
    what do you eat?
    Drugs? Alcohol?
    Stresses...
    PM if you want

I study most of the time.
    Food...umm a pretty balanced diet.
    No drugs, alcohol now and then (not *that* often)
    Stresses...I'm in a permanently bad mood for some reason or another, not sure if that helps...

Did think of caffeine, but don't drink that much caffinated coffee any more.

cheers :)
  • Options
    you could try the doctors. they probably wont give you sleeping pills as it seems like you dont need them but will probably help you get into some sort of healthy routine
  • Options
    Try getting up earlier. I know for the first week it will probably bugger you up but generally i'd imagine you'd get into the pattern of sleeping properly. I used to be the same when at college but then started work and sorted itself out.
  • Options
    http://www.thesite.org//info/health/sleep/insomnia.html

Set a more regular sleeping pattern by going to bed at a set time for a few nights, and see how you get on. Sweet dreams. :)
  • Options
    and in addition to all that and the link from the mods. A snack carb and protein - like cottage cheese and a ryevita about 10-11pm and into bed at about midnight.
    Get/drag yourself out of bed by 8am, but try not to use caffine to kick start yourself
    bad mood - well probably part of messed up sleep patterns and will hoefully resolve itself.
    Try the atkins diet or the zone diet. you could have high cortisol which you can bring down with diet. breathing exercises rock are really worth trying.
    hope this helps
  • Options
    force yourself to stay awake for 36 hours, then go to bed at 9pm on the 2nd day. set your alarm for 8am. then go to bed at 11pm, and set your alarm for 8 again. force yourself to get up at a reasonable hour regardless of the amount of sleep you've had and you should fall back into a reasonable pattern.

being a bad sleeper sucks - lots of nights i've been tired yet unable to sleep til 5am, then up at 7 for college. tis not nice :( but mine is caused by stress from college.
  • Options
    The reason this happened is probably cos you got yourself into a regular sleeping pattern so your body gets used to it. Try going to bed half hour or hour earlier each night after the previous night and same for the next day - set your alarm half hour/hour earlier til you get yourself into a proper sleeping pattern. Might take a short while to get used to, but it'll become more natural. Plus, dont have any carbohydrate or stuff with caffiene in before you goto bed and do something relaxing beforehand and not something that'll keep you awake for hours thinking Eg - have a bath/shower.

Hope it helps.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    . A snack carb and protein - like cottage cheese and a ryevita about 10-11pm and into bed at about midnight.

I thought you werent supposed to eat late :confused:

Do you ever sit here yawning Seed? if you do as soon as you start yawning unplug and get straight off to bed. sometimes I can be sat yawning my head off but still sit here and then you kind of get passed that tired stage and you wake up again.

I hate it when I cant sleep which isnt that often. Soon as my head hits the pillow im out like a light :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    a few drops of lavender oil on ur pillow sometimes works. or an evening walk to help you wind down after you finish studying for the night. i can sympathise cos im not sleeping well at the moment. hope it gets better.
  • Options
    Cheers for replies people :)

A contributing factor is probably the fact that I don't *have* to get up in the morning...so I don't. I'll sort it :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I thought you werent supposed to eat late :confused:

true, but were not talking about a massive meal here, but something like 1/2 doz grapes and 1/2 doz almonds.
    just enough to stop blood sugar level crashing overnight and to prevent either waking up at 3 am and being wide awake or feeling like you have been driven over by bus during the night.
    also magnesium at bed time works really well (it is a deep tissue relaxer)
  • Options
    Re: Sleeping
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I've got a bloody awful sleeping pattern.

Usually it involves going to bed at 3am and getting up at about 1pm.

Last night I went to sleep at 9pm and woke at 1am, only to stay awake for ages, and then sleep sometime before waking up at somewhere between 11am-1pm.

Any ideas of how to combat this?

You probably just think too much, that's my problem I'm always thinking all the time and it keeps me up - A friend of mine says I'm always inventing things and I should write them down, so I did - I expected a list of about 15 things - it came to 35 - worse still whilst writing the list I thought up another 20 - now I have a list with nearly 90 inventions and ways to improve products... Once I went to work for a company and I didn't like the way they were doing things, so I kept on thinking about ways to improve their operations anyway two weeks later the solution hit me .. I told them what I thought and they loved the idea (although I think the boss was a little pissed he didn't think of it himself) .. we carried it out and it saved them like £200,000 and tripled the number of new customer that signed up to the service.

Anyway I'm gonna enter the inventing competiton the BBC are running and hopelly all those nights of no sleep will pay off!!
  • Options
    Seed, I was the same as you. I used to go to bed between 2 and 6 am and then get up about 2pm. The only way I could get proper sleep was if I moved to an upstairs bedroom which I now have and go a kip at better times.

If I tried to go alseep at like 11 it would take me hours to get off to sleep. Have to tried Nightol?

Before you got to bed don't do these:

Smoke.
    Drink Coffie/Coke/Red Bull or anything with caffine.
    Eat large amounts

Clear your mind of anything that's worring you.
    Try having a work out or do somthing that's gonna knacker you out abit
  • Options
    I tried Nitol a few times - would be groggy for the whole of the following day.

St John's Wort might help make you more relaxed or supplements based on yeast - I think the idea is it makes you feel full and content - something like that.

I think a little nightcap can help some people get to sleep.

Alternatively move to spain or one of those countries that have siesta's!!
  • Options
    dont bother with nytol or natrasleep. I had natrasleep once and i felt so awful the next day, i felt like i was on a massive comedown and couldnt shake it no matter how much caffeine i drank.
    Id suggest going to bed half an hour or an hour earlier, for a week, then half an hour or an hour earlier again etc etc. within a few months you should be going to bed at a reasonable time and you would have hardly noticed the transition.
  • Options
    My friend had this audio tape I think by paul McKenna the hypnotist to help go to sleep - you can download stuff like that off the net.

The best advice on the tape was to make sure you get up early and set an alarm clock to wake you up at 8am or whatever.

If you sleep in late then of course you'll go to bed late, so force yourself to get up at an earlier time and you'll be sleepier earlier as well.
  • Options
    I would point out if you havent really got anything to get up for in the morning then whats the problem?
    If you want to stay up late and sleep in then as long as you can whats the problem.
    However if its causing you problems then try and get into a routine, exercise during the day, not only will that generaly help with your mood but help you sleep better too. Caffine does last a very long time in some people, I cant have any after about 4pm if I want to even attempt to sleep before 12. But then I dont sleep well what ever.
    Nytol does work, well sort off, but its only a temp thing, dont bother using it all the time.
    A little drink can help, I find that some good quality congac can help me sleep, but drink too much, otherwise it wont help.

People are right, the doctor wont give you any pills, and even if he/she does you do NOT want to use them on a long term basis.