Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cannabis - can you be dependant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I left a message about my friend on a different thread which sparked up a debate about cannabis. My friend is dependant on smoking dope to be happy otherwise she is always in a bad mood. Can you be dependant or addicted?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you can be addicted to the high but there is no substances that make you addicted to the cannabis. you can depend on it to make you in a good mood.
    In other words:

Physically - no, you cannot become physically dependant on cannabis like on tobacco. When quitting after smoking it a lot, you may experience mild withdrawl though.

Mentally - Yes, although you can become mentally addicted to pretty much anything. As long as it is used in moderation though, the chances of this are not too high.
    My ex smoked pot and he was dependant on it to get through his day. If he couldn't get any (which wasn't often) then he would become extreamly irritable, impatient and slightly agressive, usually attempting to put his fists through walls etc. However lots of other people I know smoke on a far more casual basis and it never becomes a problem for them. In my opinoin its like alcohol something that people use to have fun or relax in a social setting. Only I've seen far more people have a severe problem with alcohol than pot. If everybody went out to the pub on a friday night to smoke pot there would be a lot less fighting.;)
    Yeah i agree i dont think its any more addictive that the fag you smoke it with or however you take it. And shouldnt realy be much of a problem to come off as she casnt have been osmoking that long if ya still at school.Certainly not in the same league as heroin / crack ect. She says she needs it to be happy ive had it a few times but to be honest i dont like it at all it just sends me paranoid and gives me urges to eat loads of chocolate ect then go to sleep ? whats the point in that ? not fun in my eyes but its up to the person i guess they`ll do what they want at the end of the day tell her what you think then let her do what she wants il bet she comes to you in a few years and says do ya know i wish id have listened to you doris (sorry forgot ya name) Id get some differant freinds if i was you cos once you get into the drugs way of life its dam hard to get out of honest no fun iam not going to go on but if i can stop one person going that way then id be happy take care any way x
    Originally posted by wappy
    Yeah i agree i dont think its any more addictive that the fag you smoke it with or however you take it. And shouldnt realy be much of a problem to come off as she casnt have been osmoking that long if ya still at school.Certainly not in the same league as heroin / crack ect. She says she needs it to be happy ive had it a few times but to be honest i dont like it at all it just sends me paranoid and gives me urges to eat loads of chocolate ect then go to sleep ? whats the point in that ? not fun in my eyes but its up to the person i guess they`ll do what they want at the end of the day tell her what you think then let her do what she wants il bet she comes to you in a few years and says do ya know i wish id have listened to you doris (sorry forgot ya name) Id get some differant freinds if i was you cos once you get into the drugs way of life its dam hard to get out of honest no fun iam not going to go on but if i can stop one person going that way then id be happy take care any way x

that was one long ass sentance... :p
    fat free.
    lol i knew there was something id forgot the dam full stops sorry i get abit carried , away at times.Forget all about them :p
    I dont know--everyone says u cant be physically addicted, and i agree-- but my ex quit smoking and got the shakes (he stopped smoking fags AND ganja so it was probably the fags that gave him the shakes...)

But depending on your personality, you can definately be mentally addicted.
    Psychological addiction may occur due to liking the feeling of being stoned, but i'd probably say that its pretty minimal. I reckon gambling is far more addictive, plus in a way more damaging.