Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When 63,000 troops leave your country.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    European withdrawal of capital from the US would damage you more than the US not buying European goods.......

I think it works both ways. But we import more than we export to Europe. I have zero desire to get people or countries back. I just move on...with the knowledge of who your friends are...and aren't.
  • Options
    What specifically have some European nations done that you now count them as not being freinds to the US?
  • Options
    well France, especially, regarding sales of equipment and providing information to Saddam's gang was pretty disgusting...it went on into this year.

I don't believe anyone can appease terrorists. Greenhat had a good post regarding how targets are chosen in the "dirty bomb" thread.
  • Options
    They perhaps cannot be appeased but then again Washington has certainly funnelled enough money to arm and train groups it now calls terrorists over the past few decades. And it continues to fund insurgencies and unstable governments which are as bad as those it selectively pointed out as its axis of evil. So you do the math and hopefully your eyes will finally be opened to where the real duplicity rests.
  • Options
    All countries have some level of Coruption, it just so happens that the US is the worst @ the mo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    it just so happens that the US is the worst @ the mo.

No, it's just that they are getting greater focus...
  • Options
    Perhaps given the capacity for greater global underhandedness, greed and long term damage being the sole super power with the greatest number of commercial interests pulling the strings.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    No, it's just that they are getting greater focus...

Well, I haven't noticed any other Nations openly being run by Oil men, ignoring Global opinion, invading random countries etc etc on such a scale as the US is currently doing...
  • Options
    No, but have you looked at Zimbabwe recently, for example.

Or perhaps you could look at Burma, Thailand etc

There are so many countries where corruption is par for the course and at a greater level than even the US can imagine...
  • Options
    real duplicity rests.

The over-all goal was the same: to promote more democracies in the world. In 1910 before WWI there were only 11.
    We've done a lot of good. Especially when compared to countries like Belguim.

I don't see the US as being the worst Sim. We're the worst regarding Muslim extremists right now. But they're horrible, twisted, people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    No, but have you looked at Zimbabwe recently, for example.

Or perhaps you could look at Burma, Thailand etc

There are so many countries where corruption is par for the course and at a greater level than even the US can imagine...

I have looked at Zimbabwe and its apalling. But nowhere near the sheer scale of the US. Robert Mugabe can't invade any country in the world at will, nor can he fry everyone on the planet at the touch of a few buttons.
  • Options
    Had to get that one in Aladdin.;)
  • Options
    MoK, those coutnries you emtnioned do not have troops stationed in more countries in the world than any empire in the history of man, nor have they invaded other nations setting up their own puppet regimes for the sake of exerting corproate control over the markets and resources found there.

pnj: Democracies are not imposed, they evolve out of the will of the people. If not they are mere charades and highly unstable or require severe repression to maintain their power base. The US however much Greeny may wish to revise history, did not "create" democracies even in Japan or Germany. Those countries had either prior democratic institutional tradition as in the case of Germany, or previous nascent democratic movements such as the fledgling union movement in Japan.
  • Options
    Hey pnj,

Look at the success of the US government in giving democracy to the world

What makes you think anything will be different this time?
  • Options
    What's the alternative?

O.K. What if Saddam had nothing to do with global terrorism. The UK and US decided to stop the no fly zones. France, Germany and Russia made tons of money. They then bought more US and UK crap with some of that money. More oil was on the world's whatever which I assume would drive prices down as well as OPEC's power. Fine right?

The world would still be standing by while Saddam kills people to keep in power. Or as seems to be the case with his son...as some kind of hobby.

Oh and true link but: what about these democracies we saved/or created...you know the drill.
  • Options
    You seem to believe, just in tune with what your government tells you, that Saddam Hussein was the only murdering head of state or that Al Qaida are the only terrorists on earth. Son, there have been and still are many a Saddam Hussein around the world, and in a lot of cases your government was/is selling them weapons and using them as regional puppets for its own convenience, and basically not giving a toss how many thousands of innocents were killed in the process.

So instead of screaming about "something had to be done", how much better the world is now that the US has graciously removed this evil man from power and what a great thing your caring, humanitarian rulers have done, I'd suggest you take a closer look at your government actions, past and present.
  • Options
    Im beginning to think we are facing either some form of mental deficiency or willful ignorance that requires we remind pnj ad infinitum that what he is being shown by Fox News is but a selective window on the international stage which conveniently shelters him from also seing the many other equally heinous regimes currently enjoying Washington's financial, military, and diplomatic support.

Otherwise he truly only wants to live his life with rose coloured glasses on and always believe that Washington is a bastion of puity and moral fortitude and that Bush and co are due for sainthood. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The over-all goal was the same: to promote more democracies in the world. In 1910 before WWI there were only 11.

I didn't realise the US was responsible for the global spread of democracy!

Considering in 1910 you would be stretching it to call the US or Britain democracies for a start.

There are still many nations that are not democracies, do you intend to invade or otherwise pressure China to become a democracy?
  • Options
    Considering also that in 1910 the US was an isolationist country and therefore not actively seeking interfere to far afield of our home turf. Even in WWI men who wished to fight in the Great War had to join up with either the French or British forces since we werent involved as a nation.

An nice easy survey of the lead up to and the conduct of WW I (note the American position)...

http://www2.nobleps.com/eboren/17%20-%20Road%20to%20WWI.doc
  • Options
    Where was the USA when Hitler invaded Belgium hey? Didn't see you sticking up for democracy then...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Hey pnj,

Look at the success of the US government in giving democracy to the world

What makes you think anything will be different this time?

What makes you think it will be different from Germany, Japan, or the Philippines?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Those countries had either prior democratic institutional tradition as in the case of Germany, or previous nascent democratic movements such as the fledgling union movement in Japan.

LMAO

Clandestine,

You really need to spend some time learning more than a smattering of history before making ridiculous claims.

Sure, Germany had a democratic tradition...one of failure, and not one that could be called institutional in any way, shape or form.

As for the "fledging" union movement..the efforts of a couple dozen individuals does not indicate much in terms of the people, at least not in a nation of millions.

Funny how you don't bother to address the Philippines...
  • Options
    Clandestine,

You really need to spend some time learning more than a smattering of history before making ridiculous claims.

Greenhat, when he makes those kinds of remarks, it makes me think he's from Europe.

Meantime, I think the new bases will mainly be in Poland. The German one, which I can't spell, that has the hospital will stay. Everything else goes to Poland and some to Bulgaria.

I think this is a good thing even if it costs Germany jobs and money. Germany has the right to mirror Switzerland and, depending upon your point of view, totally reject the notion of war in favor of diplomacy or position themselves as a haven for radical Muslims who will use their country to strike at other countries and perhaps launder their money through German banks as was done in Switzerland and Paris.

Clandestine, took your advice and read a very informative article about the history of the US and UK's involvement in Iran and Iraq. My opinion: many of the motives were to ensure cheap oil AND the CIA gave the US wrong information regarding Russia's oil stocks. It gave people in the US government the idea that Russia was running out of oil and would invade or gain control over the Middle East starting with Iran....and all the way up to Afghanistan.

If anyone is interested, go to MSNBC.COM and look for the link to Time's article Oily Americans. The article also talked about how BP was started by bullying Iran out of much of its oil production capabilites at the time.
  • Options
    Germany has the right to mirror Switzerland and, depending upon your point of view, totally reject the notion of war in favor of diplomacy or position themselves as a haven for radical Muslims who will use their country to strike at other countries and perhaps launder their money through German banks as was done in Switzerland and Paris.
    You really don't have a clue do you?
  • Options
    I'm dead on. Besides, I said depending upon your point of view. My impression from the site is that European leftist are very closed minded when it comes to seeing different points of view.
  • Options
    You mean as close-minded as the flag-waving American "patriots" who take their government's words as the absolute and final truth, and who actually believe the war on Iraq was about preserving America's freedom?

:lol:
  • Options
    Romanian just broke up an Iraqi cell that was organizing other terrorists to hit western targets. Check out Sky News.

And with closed-mindedness I expect from the right. Like, having never met Rumsfield...I just can't see myself convincing him that surfing can be spiritual because you are really one with nature when you're on a wave.

Yet with the left, I just pictured them open to things. But not really. It's a fixed perspective too.
  • Options

Meantime, I think the new bases will mainly be in Poland.

Poland? Maybe a few. Most will probably be south and southeast from Poland.
  • Options
    You're right. Yesterday they mentioned Poland, Bulgaria and Romania. I thought mainly Poland because we gave them the northern zone in Iraq to patrol.