Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Phobias

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a huge phobia of wasps and bees that is ruling my life. I don't go out in the summer, have all my windows and doors shut perminantly, freak out in the street whenever i see one and generally live a nightmare from about now til september.

My question is what can i do about it? Is it something i should see my doctor about as i can't go on like this anymore, its ruining my life. Please help, I don't know where to start.:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe go see your GP and get him to put you in touch with a counselor? Can't do no harm.
    Find a hypnotist
    How many times have you been stung? Are you allergic?
    Go and talk to someone about it...

I don't normally mind them, but on hols last year in crete there were these things we christened killer wasps - they were scary - about 3 cm long with big dangly legs, it made trying it eat me yoghurt, fruit and honey a complete nightmare, but I didn't see any one getting stung. there are some good remedies if you do get stung.
    I've got 2 phobias:

Lifts/Escalators (sp?): Absolutely shit scared of them, I always had the same dream when I was younger, that I was in a falling lift. :nervous:

Spiders: Not as bad as it used to be, I can look at one now and hit one with my hand
    i have 2 also:
    Jellyfish - i just can't go into the sea if i've spied one

Mayonaisse - its not that i just don't like it, but i really can't bear to be near it....the way it looks really freaks me out and makes me wretch
    I trod in a wasps nest when i was little and got stung all up my legs and arms. i went into anaphalactic (sp?) shock and went to hospital. I'm not allergic to them but that experience makes me have really bad reactions when i do get stung. I never really liked wasps or bees before that event but ever since i have been petrified
    Got off the bus in the middle of nowhere yesterday and it took me an hour to walk home, all because there was a wasp on the bus and i freaked
    If you don't fancy talking to someone abouth this you could try flower remedies, Bach ones are good - try mimulus, rock rose and star of bethlehem.

http://www.globalherbalsupplies.com/bfr/information.htm for more information - this might help
    I have quite a few phobias, but I will only list a few:

Spiders: I am absolutely terrified of them. I was bit by one on my leg and it caused me to get cellulitis in my leg. I was scared of them before that happened, but now I am totally and completely terrified of them.

Snakes: I absolutely hate them and am terrifed of them because they are disgusting looking creatures and I am also afraid of being bitten or something by one.

Speaking in front of people: I am really terrified of speaking in front of people for fear that they will make fun of me when I am speaking.

Being in a crowd of people: I fear being around a crowd of people because it just makes me really nervous and anxious and I am afraid that I will screw up or do something stupid in front of everyone.
    my major phobia is of geese
    when i was really little i was at a kinda petting zoo and a goose chased me, and took a chunk out of my ass. Bastard, they don't even have teeth for christs sake
    I have a pathological fear of pigeons!

Has anyone else noticed that they are no longer as scared of us humans as they once were!?!
    Hey there

You have my complete sympathy. I have a few fears and I know how they can take over your life. I don't like insects at all (especially ones that sting/look ugly AND ladybirds!!) which makes summer a complete nightmare. I avoid gong anywhere where I might get trapped with an insect of some sort. I can go outside but I regularly have to move seats and run off inside. To other people this is an amusing sight but to me it's a huge problem. I get all panicky and go hot and cold, sweat and struggle to get my breath. Anyway, the reason for me telling you this is not so that you feel sorry for me but to let you know that there is hope.

Two summers ago I went to work in Spain and spent the whole time living on a campsite. Insects galore. At the beginning of my time there I was constantly trying to get away from all the insects .... after some time though I was able to cope with them much better. I could sit and eat lunch without freaking out when something flew by and I even learnt to put my sandalled feet on the floor at night when anything could be there. This might not seem like a major step but to me it is. My point being that by facing up to my fear, I made steps towards beating it. It still is a pain in the ass but it's slowly getting easier ..... having said that, I did run straight into a door the other day when trying to get away from a wasp.

I think that some kind of therapy would really help you. It took a lot of will power for me to face up to my fear and it's very slow going. Your fear sounds more like a phobia, it's completely taking over your life AND you have what sounds like a pretty valid reason for it. There's not harm in popping along to your docs and asking if there's anything that they can do. Just talking about it may even help you.
    I've got a phobia of quiet rooms or places :rolleyes:
    Mobily fears spiders (I think)
    I fear death
    I have two main phobias- spiders and heights.

But like Loopi said earlier; the best way to cure a phobia is to face up to it. But other than facing up to them physically, there's a way to face your phobia without any possible danger at all.

You might have heard of Lucid Dreaming before, it's when you realise you're dreaming and can control everything that happens in it. Well if you take control of a dream and just stand there while wasps fly around you, you'll teach your subconcious that there's no reason to be afraid of them.

It might sound like a stupid idea and not worth the time, but it's not as if you need to take up any more time doing it, because you can do it while you're asleep. But it does work because I used this method to cure a large part of my vertigo and it worked really well. And even if it doesn't completely cure the phobia, it should at the very least give you a start.
    Darkness + Machines

Darkness: This is more of a "kiddie fear", but I've never liked it since I was little. In a lot of cases, it is to do with the fact that you can't see where you are going, or you are scared of monsters lurking around the corner. In my case though, I am visually impaired but I don't have trouble finding my way around a dark nightclub or street. It is being inside a dark building by myself I don't like. I don't like corners, alcoves, partly-open doors. I was born with a condition called Synaesthesia (see my sig) which makes me see things that are not there. There is also a hallucigenic drug under the same name that can induce a temporary effect. My condition is life-long however. I freak out, even when I'm in bed. I often don't get through a whole night with the bedside light turned off.

Machines: I hate monitors and TVs when they are turned off. When they have a picture, I see them normally. When they are turned off, I see these kaliedescope patterns in them (like the burn-out effect on old TVs) - Again, see my signiture links. When I brought my last computer, I insisted that the monitor had a dust cover with it, so I don't see it when the screen is turned off.

I also freak out to the sound of some telephones, but not as badly as screens or darkness. Mobile ring tones don't bother me - Just telephones.
    thanx everyone. these posts have been really helpful and as the weather has stayed pretty average (not too hot) things seem ok at the moment but i know that it won't stay like this forever!
    i have a huge phobia of spiders!! its not just some silly lil thing, its a huge problem and its controling my life in a way. i cant walk near bush's and if some one i know has fallen into a bush i cant be near them untill theve been all cleared for spids. i have to check every coner of the room before i go bed. and if i see one i have a huge panic attack and cry till i cant breathe propperly.
    me and my rents went on holiday to france we went to a river side resturant and stuck to every window were these giant spiders with huge arses! at first i made every one change seats so i couldnt look at it, when i sat down i saw am even bigger one i just sat there in frount of my family and cried for like 10 mins.
    but my dad says he gonna try and find me a hynotist.
    I hate bananas. I hate having to touch them. The smell, the texture - yuck. Get it away from me!