Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Revision Avoidance Tactics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hmm, I'm trying to work but it's just not happening!

I find the silliest things to do to avoid working, like getting up to get a glass of water every 5mins, working outside and then just sunbathing, posting silly threads like this on TheSite, eating, calling someone, tidying something, moving books from one side of my desk to the other, spending AAAAAAGES making pretty and colourful flashcards with facts and dates on and then not using them....

Argh!! :crazyeyes not working!!!

so... anyone else do the same thing? Anyone have even better ways of avoiding work? :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Revision Avoidance Tactics
    Originally posted by perfect***day

so... anyone else do the same thing? Anyone have even better ways of avoiding work? :)

reading silly messages like this on the site:p

how about counting how many days til the exams then thinkning 'hmm, i should do some work' then staring at the wall for 10 minutes!
    I've tidied, dusted, polished and vacuumed my room. I've exercised. I've convinced myself after sitting out in the sun for 15 minutes I have sunstroke so I must go and lie down inside. I've watched tv. I've been on the site reading posts. I've been dreaming about failing my exams. I've organised my notes.

So far I've done bout 2 hours. And I realised I've got essays to write and shit loads of psychology to read through.

Hohum..........what is reality anyway? :eek:
    My common tactics involve watching old sitcoms on satellite, cooking myself a big breakfast, doing the washing up, going round tidying up, then it's about lunch time so I have my lunch while watching the lunchtime news, then I'll spend a few hours here because you know how you fall behind on forums if you don't keep up, then my mum will come home with the paper which I'll read and then have a nap, and then I'll have dinner, then a bath and then it's too late to start any revision so I'll have an early night for tomorrow.

I've got a haircut, shown some friends round London, made several to do lists convincing myself I have enough time to do it all and found the need for a drink every 5 minutes!

Still it'll all get done in the end :lol: after I go the travel agent's tomorrow to get some brochures to sort out my holiday :D
    I've managed to do work :D

But the biggest procrastination is forums and msn
    Sleeping to "get mroe revision energy" is an old favourite of mine, so is the ancient procrastination trick of needing RIGHT NOW to organsie my CD collection in alphabetical order.

Mind, now Im at uni I dont even pretend to revise:D
    im finding that ive actually become quite motivated, now not at school for 2 weeks, to do some revision!

the prospect of not getting into uni and having to stay here for another year gives me enough motivation to work!:D
    Hehe, so far I have managed to:-

1.sort out all the old games we have in drawers downstairs..check all the playing cards (about 10 sets) are complete etc.

2.annoy mum by finishing jigsaws she was doing.

3.hoover the whole house (i have never been known to do housework withoiut being asked before)

4. watch hours on end of music tv

5. watch old episodes of casualty on uk gold!!

6. sort out everything in my own room.

7. found masses of things i don't want anymore and have listed books, cds etc on amazon marketplace

8. go for random walks. most of them actually to the post office to post parcels from selling things on amazon marketplace.

9. writing endless lists of what i have to do...then ignoring them.

10.counting the days till exams over and over.and still ignoring the fact that my first one is in 2 weeks and i have still done nothing!

There's more too....in short, i have done all number of things i would never normally do. i have spent hours on end procrastinating....I have got nothing done...except I do now have a tidy room I suppose!!!

It's useless...I think i'm just gonna have to forget trying to get anything done now and just do really last minute revision and hope it works!
    I tidy my room, arrange my CDs in alphabetical &/or chronological order, rearrange my posters, talk on MSN, read the forums, stare at the page, find multicoloured pens, tidy my bed every two minutes, get food & drink, arrange my books and draw timetables.
    My favourite is to complain about the fact i have so much work to do & so little time. Doh!
    I too have arranged my CDs in alphabetical order, and then improved on it by putting singles and soundtracks in different sections, and CDs by the same artist in chronological order (is that what everyone else did?)

I'm also currently drinkin waaaaay too much coffee :crazyeyes I've had to start drinkin orange juice before my heart gives out!
    hmm yeh ive decided that it doesnt matter how many hours i do more about what i actually learn. still brickin myself tho cos i have lofty ambitions that seem too high for me.! :banghead:
    I have decided that I really must get some revision done tonight. Which is why I'm.... sitting here..... reading forums.... Does anyone else spot the flaw in my plan?
  • White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    bah, wish i had time to revise. this easter break i've spent working so i can afford to pay for me rent back at uni. when i go back i'll have a week to revise, woo hoo! :hyper:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    last year when i tried to avoid revising i learnt to juggle!!! there are lots of things that i do to avoid revising ... looking at random websites, tidying my room and the flat, writing letters ... anything!!!!
    It is truly amazing how appealing cleaning becomes when revision is on the cards!!!

I've not started revising yet - don't finish school til Thurs. Even so I'm still worried. Not done any work for weeks - what a bad time to change the habit of a lifetime!

:crazyeyes

Still...if anyone has any hints on good ways to revise, let me know. Also, anyone know anything about the Euro (particuarly against it) in France. (Subtle hint to suggest that my French oral is barely started :( )

TIM
    Wow. I'm actually revising voluntarily. These are the first exams I've ever been scared about, and I'm so damn terrified I'm revising constantly.

PostIts.jpg

See! (They're DIY post-it notes all round my monitor, about part of the history course).
    The best way i found to not do my studying, and not feel bad about it - at the time - was to call this one mate of mine. He always said he'd come over and help me study:rolleyes:
    But of course we'd just muck around and almost always ended up playing pool at the pub.:D
    It was fun. But looking back now it doesn't matter cos i always got good grades whether i did the work or not!:naughty:
    i was so bad at revising when i did my a levels. Once i had done all the obvious things like cleaning, eating, sleeping etc i'd have about 8 showers a day (need to keep that mind clear!). then i would walk my dog, then all the neighbours dogs. Cook dinner....from scratch taking desperate care of the little details.

Mind u its the same now i'm at uni. Infact exam week is practically the only time each term that u can see the bottom of the sink!!
    we are all guilty of postponing stuff and one of the things we put highest on our postpone list :) is revision. This is not good though. I at present should be revising for my hamlet exam I was spurred on an hour ago to read the book but was interested in what people had to say about their revision tactics on here but so far haven't found any thing to help me. I am basically working on a do work, treat, do work, treat routine only the treats taken over at present oops oh well back to Hamlet I go now :)