Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

type 1 diabetes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was just wondering if anyone else on here suffers from type 1 diabetes? if so, how long have u had it and how do u cope? cos i basically dnt cope and i never follow the diet and i hardly inject and i'm always getting sick. its not that i dnt want to try...i just get fed up.:(

Comments

• Options
    All I can say is more fool you.
    If you have diabetes you can lead a normal, healthy life. So why cant you follow the diet? if you are insulin dependent then you need it to make you feel well.
    I think you will be more fed up when your diabetes gets into a bad way, you can make yourself feel well by following the diet, so just do it :)
  • Options
    Hiya,

I'd just like to point out that a 'diabetes diet sheet' is really only the healthy eating guidelines that we're all recommended to follow. There's nothing special or strange about it!

It's obviously something that comes as a shock when you first find out about it, but over time you learn to accept it and look after yourself better. Science has progressed a lot, and if you take a few simple precautions to look after yourself you can have a full, active, happy, healthy life.

Look at this guy, he's pretty inspirational:
    http://www.thesite.org//magazine/travel/take_the_long_way_home.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by Karla
    It's obviously something that comes as a shock when you first find out about it, but over time you learn to accept it and look after yourself better. Science has progressed a lot, and if you take a few simple precautions to look after yourself you can have a full, active, happy, healthy life.

Yeah i have to agree.

You put it a lot better than I did ;)
  • Options
    its not that i dnt look after myself on purpose...nor that i encourage others to not look after themselves!

but my body is generally pretty messed up and i was talkin to sum1 this mornin...i just dnt respect my body any more.

its not so easy to accept diabetes wen u've lived ur whole life in a completely diff way.
  • Options
    I see where your coming from but if you dont look after your body then you will be seriously ill.
    Its a shock to the system to suddenly go from eating what you want to have to eat what the dieticians tell you. Having said that the diet for a diabetic is not that bad. My Father is insulin dependent and he has to eat a proper diet otherwise he could go into hypo etc.
    Just be careful thats all :)
  • Options
    You really need to follow your diet and take your medication, but I don't think you really need someone to tell you that! I can understand what you mean about not respecting your body anymore. I have suspected rheumatoid arthritis, and a few months ago I went through a phase of not taking my medication....it wasn't a particularly conscious decision, there was no reasoning behind it, I just thought 'what the hell, it can't get any worse'. Only of course it did get worse and I regretted it! But basically I'm just saying I know how you're feeling, and you're not alone. Hugs, Tates xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    All I can say is more fool you.

Please don't make such degrading comments on a thing which you (from what I read) don't know about.

It's just as hard to keep to your diet and insulin taking as it is when people complain about losing weight.

BeckyBoo, 3 minutes here and 3 minutes there, do add up. It requires concentration, and motivation.
    You need to be able to calculate how much you can eat, on a given dose of insulin. How to plan your day so you will be able to eat on time, without getting high or too low bloodsugar.

Naz, I've had Diabetes since I was 9. The first years went really well. But lately I've had other complications, and I understand fully where you're coming from.
    The last thing I want to take care of is blood-measurements, calculating carbohydrates and then comparing to the dose of insulin, when I have school and other things to take care of.
    In the end, I have seen that bad regulations really did affect my health, not only the threats of "you'll become blind when you'll be old, if you don't take care" and other things similar.
    To feel the consequences was the only thing to motivate me. I hope it doesn't require as much of you :)

Tates, I've also got the same type of Arthritis.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Please don't make such degrading comments on a thing which you (from what I read) don't know about.

Sorry but if someone says they are not following the diet for diabetes then it is "more fool them". They surely must have been advised about diet so if they cant help themselves then thats their problem, nobody elses.

I know about the eating regime, my father is insulin dependent as I already stated :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sorry but if someone says they are not following the diet for diabetes then it is "more fool them". They surely must have been advised about diet so if they cant help themselves then thats their problem, nobody elses.

I know about the eating regime, my father is insulin dependent as I already stated :rolleyes:

Yes it is Naz's problem. When has she, opposed to you, putten the burden on somone else?
    She states that it is hard. Which I can entire relate to.
    It's not only about eating. It's about adjusting your total lifestyle to it.
    In general I do believe that elders are under easier circumstances to treat it, as they usually have more stability in their life, than a minor has.

Can I ask how involved you are in your father Diabetes? Do you follow his doctors appointments, do you know how to adjust the doses of insulin to food? Do you know when bloodsugar is concidered high, or too low and exactly how and with which dose to get it back on track?
    Or do you know the 6 meals per day, half plate of greens, quarter plate of potatos, rice or pasta and quarter meat or fish?

Yes, you can now continue to use the :rolleyes: smiley and appear all knowledgable and understanding.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    She states that it is hard. Which I can entire relate to.
    It's not only about eating. It's about adjusting your total lifestyle to it.
    In general I do believe that elders are under easier circumstances to treat it, as they usually have more stability in their life, than a minor has.

I beleive if you look up the page I did say i saw where Naz was coming from, I also stated if Naz didnt follow diets etc then it could be serious.

Id disagree with what you say about the age and how it affects people purely because at any age its a shock. My Father has had it approx 5 years now so in one way I suppose (Im not sure like) but him being older could maybe been harder to change the diet etc, bearing in mind hes eaten what he likes when he likes for 65 odd year. But again almost any age would be a shock to the system.

I know all about his blood sugar level etc, however your correct I do not know dosages of insulin he takes :)
  • Options
    To try and calm this little argument down (!), I don't think you can really understand this type of situation until it's actually happened to you, as much as you try. Which is why support groups are good I guess, cos everyone is going through the same thing. I don't think Naz is being foolish, that would imply there's some sort of conscious decision making going on, she's just going through a really tough time and needs to get her head around what is going on with her body. Anyway, that's my little lecture over!
    By the way Jacqueline, how long have you had r.a for? symptoms etc?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tates
    To try and calm this little argument down

Debating sounds better :)

Nah to be honest my 1st post didnt come out how I should have written it, which if you see above when I quoted Karla I did say she put it so much better. I then also went on to say that I saw where Naz was coming from and that if Naz didnt follow diet then it could be serious.

So apologies to Naz if I came over rather stroppy :)
  • Options
    Yay, happiness restored! :)
  • Options
    Debating sounds better :)

Nah to be honest my 1st post didnt come out how I should have written it, which if you see above when I quoted Karla I did say she put it so much better. I then also went on to say that I saw where Naz was coming from and that if Naz didnt follow diet then it could be serious.

So apologies to Naz if I came over rather stroppy :)

awww...no apology needed. i just started this up cos i thought it wud be interesting to see if anyone else sumtimes got like me. i dnt mean to sound stupid or attention seeking...its just i've reached a point in my life where i'm desperetely tired of constantly monitering my health. cos i suffer from depression and messed up legs too. and now its become a case of 'all my life i've had to deal with these kinda things' and i'm just reali tired of them now.

but i do understand wot u r saying becky...if i dnt look after myself, i only have myself to blame. i do try though!

jacqueline, i so know wot u mean about the constant threats of 'u'll go blind later on in life!' but that is possibly one of the reasons why its so much harder to look after diabetes. it doesn't effect u too badly wen u r yunger, its once u've let the sugar stay in ur blood for too long. i just have to start accepting myself as i am, i guess. and i have to stop letting the damned depression control my life!

thanks everyone, who replied

xxx
  • Options
    hey Naz, thought i'd let you know i am type 1 diabetic and have been for 6 years (i am now 19) if you want to talk and ask questions or just chat about stuff... even have a rant! i'm more than happy to give you my email address. Take care my dear. i'll be chacking in later in the week to see if you reply.

xxxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tates

By the way Jacqueline, how long have you had r.a for? symptoms etc?

Barely half a year.
    It was found out at the same time they found out I had psoriasis.
    Say it's provoked by the Psoriasis.
    Was a slap in the face getting diagnosed with two conditions at once, as I had my diabetes to fight with and some painful troubles with my knee.
  • Options
    My friend who is type one says she'd rather be type on insulin dependent than type two because she has learned to understand her body and can use the insulin to regulate herself....

Guess its not that simple for everyone!?

My type 2 diabetic friend is having a really hard time and says he'd rather be insulin dependent! Ho hum.
  • Options
    hi naz, ive been in the same position as you. im only 24 and been diabetic 15 years. i got depressed and didnt care for myself and now i have retinopathy and receiving laser treatment to save my vision. its really scarey and its been tearing me up since i found out in february. i dont want to be blind. talk to someone and get help b4 u are in my position, please, its a horrible place to be. take care. talk to me if u like.:)