Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hardening Feet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know what that stuff is that you're meant to rub into your feet to make the skin harder? I think it's somethin really weird like parafin but i can't remember!

Anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not too sure, but isn't part of the point in putting surgical spirit on new piercings (ears and the alike) to harden the skin slightly? :confused: Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?
    yes... surgical spirit would do it, parafin wax would make them softer (i think) and as for parafin - well that stuff is for putting in your camping stove (and it stinks)
    Why do you want hard feet?
    When I used to walk alot (mountain walking that is) your feet just get hard in the right places from the boots/shoes you wear
    I was just about to ask why you would like hard feet :D Untill I read Hobb's post :rolleyes: It is quite a bizzarre thing to want!
    yeah, talk about scratchy and not to mention what they might look like with flipflops / sandles on
    Ooooo...i know this one.

The paratroopers, who are some well hard sonovabitches, they use white spirit to toughen their feet up. Som they can run and take the pain etc...

I'm not sure how they do it, but they use white spirit on their feet.
    Well I jog quite a lot and get blisters from that and wearing school shoes so i thought hard feet would put an end to it. I'd also quite enjoy being able to walk around barefoot without getting sore feet! :eek2:

But do you think it's worth it if they're just scrathy and so on?

Thanks for the advice on surgical spirit by the way :)
    Heard about this the other day, apparently you can actually use vasceline to harden the skin.
    as you run, make sure you wear the best shoes you can afford, and a good pair of sock - something like 100 or 1000 mile sock, these are really good. As with the school shoes, wear them as little as possible, wear different shoes if you walk to school, or put a plaster on. Shoes that give you blisters should only do so for a while, your feet should toughen up naturally, the same with bare feet, you get used to it, you just have to do it a lot.
    If you don't share your feet with anyone then being scratchy is not somethig you need to worry about!
    surgical spirit is what you need. I used to use it when I did pointe work in ballet. It really works as well, but it stinks!
    Re: Hardening Feet
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Does anyone know what that stuff is that you're meant to rub into your feet to make the skin harder? I think it's somethin really weird like parafin but i can't remember!

Anyone shed any light on this?

I shall ask my bro in a minute for you cos he does a lot of athletics and long distance running and puts something weird on his feet. Not sure what is is though, think it may be white spirit as someone suggested......I shall get back to you....
    Originally posted by hobbs
    as you run, make sure you wear the best shoes you can afford, and a good pair of sock - something like 100 or 1000 mile sock, these are really good.

Yeh, I've got a pretty decent pair of running shoes but as for socks i just wear old rugby ones that are kinda thick, are these 1000 mile socks those socks you see in camping/hiking shops and so on?
    Surgical Spirit is what you need, I think.

I used to have to toughen up the skin on my feet because I do karate (well, I'm taking a break at the moment, but I hope to start up again) and it involves a lot of tough work in bare feet. Walk around barefoot lots, that'll help too!

LSS
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Yeh, I've got a pretty decent pair of running shoes but as for socks i just wear old rugby ones that are kinda thick, are these 1000 mile socks those socks you see in camping/hiking shops and so on?

runing shops/independent sports shops would be the best bet or online somewhere...
    http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/page22.htm