Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cambridge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Does anyone actually goto cambridge University because I am considering applying but am wondering if all the talk of loads of stuck up posh people and excessive pressure to have loadsa cash and people from public schools being shunned is true?

Also whats it actually like there?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Cambridge
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    Does anyone actually goto cambridge University because I am considering applying but am wondering if all the talk of loads of stuck up posh people and excessive pressure to have loadsa cash and people from public schools being shunned is true?

Also whats it actually like there?
    I think they like people who can spell and use grammar correctly. And yes, I would say that there are probably a lot of "posh stuck up people".
    Washington UK?!

I can spell and use grammer correctly! I just don't choose to normally :p . Have you actually been there?
    Washington UK?!
    :rolleyes:
    Have you actually been there?
    No but I went to Durham Uni and it was much the same, maybe not as bad. My cousin went to Cmabridge and he's stuck up and a snob. He left after a few weeks to go to Bristol as he said the people at Cambridge were too snobby, lol. :lol:
    What?!

To my knowledge washington isnt in the uk

Dont u look at me in that tone of voice :p
    What?!

To my knowledge washington isnt in the uk

Dont u look at me in that tone of voice :p
    Then you really shouldn't be contemplating Cambridge. I think I know where I live. :rolleyes:
    What?

Ive checked and its in tyne and wear FFS. I don't live anywhere near there! Do you know where Northwich is? Probably not so dont be stupid. Plus why do I need geographical knowledge. I didn't ask for an oppinion of if I got the intelligence to go. I can get the grades for the subject I want to study.

<Got home from huge shift at work and not in the mood>
    *joins girl with sharp teeth in laughing*
    I didn't ask for an oppinion of if I got the intelligence to go.
    :lol:
    And yeah, I do know where Northwich is. 'Tis in Cheshire. Northwich Victoria is the local football team if I am not mistaken?
    Not the only local team theres another one too. Also I will point out again that I do not live in Tyne and Wear I have no wish to go there and I do not need to know what the hell is there. As such I cannot see how not knowing where a pointless town name and where it is, is going to affect me getting the degree I want to as humanities has no relavance to anything I have studied past GCSE.
    I might apply to Cambridge to do my MPhil, but I will probably remain at Bangor or go to Leeds instead, for they offer the precise course that I wish to do.

I don't know enough about Cambridge to say what it is really like, although you should definitely visit on an open day in order to meet current students, lecturers and to tour the campus. In addition, you can grasp what it is like via university guides, such as those produced by Push, Virgin and the Times.
    id have said i dont know

the questions are not general knowledge they are on problem solving skills and the way you approach problems.
    what subject are you thinking of applying for bomberman?

I stayed at Cambridge for a week of study and fact finding to see if i would want to apply. From experience I would say that if you have a problem with being surrounded with people who are ridiculously richer than you then it's probably not the place for you! While I was there, I noticed that those from different social classes did tend to stick together (however this is not true of all colleges). Also I did see a few guys there in the stereotypical uniform of pink raplh lauren shirt and chino trousers!
    I didn't apply to Cam because I wanted to have a life outside of uni and because they have shorter terms than anywhere else, making it very intensive. Instead I went for oxford (as there was more going on aside from work there) but decided not to go there!
    The city itself is quite pricey as well and when I went, there wasn't much in the way of nightlife...just one dingy club in between some shops (but that may have changed).
    The rooms in many of the colleges are HUGE (mine had 2 sofas, leather bound chairs etc...)

Hope that helps
    Awww poor Bomberman! No need to be so harsh Bumblebee and girl with sharp teeth! Although it has to be said Bomberman, general knowledge is very important - you have to come across not just as intellectual, but also as a generally all-rounded, aware and relaxed person - which means knowledge of basic geography, current affairs etc, as well as not getting too het-up if people are difficult with you. Which many interviewers at Oxbridge are.

I've got an offer from Emmanuel, Cambridge to study Spanish and Italian starting this October and I'm really looking forward to it - yes, traditionally views of Cambridge include stereotyping and ideas about lots of posh toffs going around saying 'yars, yars, terribly frightfully spiffing, jolly good show' etc etc, but to be honest that wasn't my experience at all. You do have to beware of a few guys in tweed suits and the odd snobby blonde rich girl, but in general everyone is really nice and comes from a variety of backgrounds. I certainly don't consider myself posh or snobby, even though I've been to a good private school.

I won't go on too much but my opinion is that there's no need to worry! :) if you want to ask anything more, feel free to PM me.
    I am thinking of applying for Computer Science with the intention of going on to be a professional computer programmer.
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    I certainly don't consider myself posh or snobby, even though I've been to a good private school.
    Nobody considers themselves to be posh or snobby!
    Guys and gals

don't be so harsh, he was only asking a question

bomberman don't be so quick to jump back down their throats either, this is a friendly place for friendly people

:)
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Nobody considers themselves to be posh or snobby!
    Good point lol. Well, I don't think other people think I'm posh or snobby either... :confused:

*is now worried is snobby cow*
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Good point lol. Well, I don't think other people think I'm posh or snobby either... :confused:

*is now worried is snobby cow*
    If you wear a pink pashmina year round then yes, you should be worried. Otherwise, don't worry about it!
    Pink?! I think you'll find, dahling, that beige is this year's colour. Pink is so terribly last-season! :p
    Originally posted by Susie
    this is a friendly place for friendly people

No, its a nice place with nice people. Dont you remember Calvins standard greeting?:p

Its cold without a t-shirt though *HINT*:flirt:
    Durham is a good Comp Sci institution, but it does not currently have accreditation- the ITS is not run on a separate network to the Comp Sci department, or something banal.
    Bomberman, I wouldn't normally give anyone advice on applying to Cambridge as I'm an Oxford girl and thus speaking about the filthy Tabs is anathema.
    However, I'm bored, so what the heck!

Oxford and Cambridge both have reps for attracting rahs/ hooray henrys/sloanes etc, however although you will inevitably encounter some whereever you go, neither uni is full of them. I'm about as common as you get - a Welsh girl who lives in a semi-detatched and works all through the holidays to fund termtime; but I love it here and have found many people like me and even (shock horror) have ex-public school friends.
    Believe it or not, what matters isn't your background, it's your personality.

Re. University applications, in all honesty Cambridge has a better reputation for Sciences, and especially the more applied and practical courses than Oxford, although I can't really speak with great authority because i never looked in to University Science courses. Speak to your careers officer
    Yes Cambridge and oxford are definitely rivals I am an oxfordshire lass through and through so i am guessing any Cambridge people will dislike me lol
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    Yes Cambridge and oxford are definitely rivals I am an oxfordshire lass through and through so i am guessing any Cambridge people will dislike me lol

I doubt it...If you actually went to oxford uni then maybe :p
    not sure about the uni but its a lovely city. i live pretty near, go at least twice a month. not ALL the people there are stuck up and as i said its beautiful if i'd didnt live so close i'd consider going there in a few years time.
    xxx