Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sell yourself to me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im not into politics, I know nothing much about it at all.

So sell your party to me.
Why should I vote for your party?
What will your party do for me? (being married with a 7 yr old child).

So come on sell yourself to me :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Sell yourself to me
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

i don't realy need to tell you about my parties. but you can walk away with me for fourteen and eleven pence.
    God, ermmmm I will in the morning!
    Re: Sell yourself to me

Firstly, I don't subscribe to any single party, so I cannot sell one to you.

But to honest, the onus is as much on you to find out as it is on any party to win your vote. These people will govern your life for a period of time after any election, don't you think you have a responsibility to yoursefl and your family to find something out about these people and to do what you can - i.e. vote - to prevent some of the worst option (in your opinion) from being elected.

Apathy, such as yours, is what gets the BNP elected.
    Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Apathy, such as yours, is what gets the BNP elected.

I came here and stated I am not into politics so therefore you must be able to understand why I dont go looking through all the parties policies. Any party which gets my vote has to cater for my needs which are your normal, average working class family.

If I looked through all these parties policies I will be honest with everyone here they would totally loose me. I do not understand all the big words that they use, the way they put things in writing half the time are not very clear.
    So if anyone else here can tell me which party makes it their policy to look after the normal working class family then tell me in plain English why they are the party I should vote for :)

Also as people here must be aware the politics forum doesent have as many visitors so this is where you can educate us who have basic knowledge of politics. Tell us things we need to know, tell us why you think we should vote for the party you follow. Just try not to use all the complicated jargon...........thats all :)
    Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    I came here and stated I am not into politics so therefore you must be able to understand why I dont go looking through all the parties policies. Any party which gets my vote has to cater for my needs which are your normal, average working class family.

So have a look through their literature and find out which one "claims" to do just that. Better still, in light of your later comment, ring them or write to them asking for help in understanding what it is that they stand for.

Okay, its a bit late for this election, but all parties have HQ in each constituency and they will be more than happy to talk to you.
    So if anyone else here can tell me which party makes it their policy to look after the normal working class family then tell me in plain English why they are the party I should vote for :)

Nah, not that easy. I could tell you who to vote for, but would just be to suit my own ends or for your benefit.

Each party will claim to "look after the normal working class family" but you have to be the judge of whether you believe what they want to do - over the range of their policies - will achieve that.

Opinions. That is what politics is all about I'm afraid. My opinion of which party offers what you need may differ from yours.
    Also as people here must be aware the politics forum doesent have as many visitors so this is where you can educate us who have basic knowledge of politics. Tell us things we need to know, tell us why you think we should vote for the party you follow. Just try not to use all the complicated jargon...........thats all :)

I've tried to cover many of the answers in the Vote! Vote! Vote! thread in Anything Goes and for the very reason you said. Most people on this site don't visit us here - some feel intimidated, others just aren't interested etc - so I've tried to take things over there. If you have any direct questions then I am happy to help, but I really can't tell you which party is best for you - and if anyone else says they can then they are lying.

Your vote is your voice and represents your opinion. The only thing I will ever advise is for you to be happy with how you vote at the time you vote, but whatever please try and use your vote.
    I always do vote but to be honest I always find that they say they are going to do this or that for me but it just never seems to come off.
    Same as hospital waiting lists they are still in a state. My Daughter had to wait ages to have an operation, during the time she was waiting for the op I went through hell sometimes with her, but we still are being told waiting lists are going down.....not I my area they are not.
    So i guess im just dissolusioned, I dont know which way to vote.
    I always do vote but to be honest I always find that they say they are going to do this or that for me but it just never seems to come off.

They say what you want to hear. If you tell them you want a good NHS, they will promise one.

Talking of which:
    Same as hospital waiting lists they are still in a state. My Daughter had to wait ages to have an operation, during the time she was waiting for the op I went through hell sometimes with her, but we still are being told waiting lists are going down.....not I my area they are not.

Unless you live outside England, then they are.

If you see your GP today and he refers you to the Hospital, you will be seen within 20 weeks. If you subsequently need surgery you will be operated on within 12 months. Guaranteed.

If that doesn't happen the the CEO of your local hospital will be sacked. That simple.

Until the Labour Govt came in this wasn't the case. I recently was part of changing a system to achieve this. When we started we had 90+ weeks wait for the first appointment, and then 18 months for surgery. Spot the difference?

BTW By the end of March 2005 you will be able to chose when these appointments take place, within reason, but the amount of time you have to wait will not be allowed to be above 12 weeks of a first appointment and six months for surgery. If you are suspected of having cancer you will be seen within two weeks. Guaranteed.
    So i guess im just dissolusioned, I dont know which way to vote.

So write that on the ballot paper?
    I won't be voting for a couple of years.

But I would sell you on Bush and Blair for the good of your future and your child's future for one reason: they actually see the threat from radical Muslims.

The best thing I've read on the Internet, was an opinion that what will shape the world is a couple of things coming together. First, knowledge, is being dispersed like never possible before due to the Internet and other technologies. 2nd, technologies are getting smaller and more readily available. 3rd, radical Muslim movement funded by Saudi Arabia to keep the anger focused on the West and off the Saudi family who lives well while the poor live in poverty. Together, knowledge, bomb making expertise, technological advancement, bombs, and more radical Muslims who hate the West, equal a threat which might not kill you or your child, but it could kill job opportunities and make you live in fear.

So what do we do?

We elect leaders who have the courage to go after them. Are there other motives for war such as oil and profit? Probably, I'll be 16 in August so I need to be cut a break on that one. But what I've seen, plans disrupted to bomb London and that Hogsworthy (name?) celebration,a prevented ricin attack...which came via a guy from Iraq, I believe a strong leader is the most important thing.

Couldn't a liberal lead? No. Liberals will be concerned about us not losing the rights that make the UK and US such good places to live. And yet, in the US and UK I've seen the radicals play us for our immigration laws and freedom of speech and use them against us.

So for now, I'm for a strong, conservative government until the threat is lessoned over the next 5 years or so.

(I started a thread in Politics yesterday that had stats about how much fewer terrorist attacks there's been since this war on terror started...so it's working.)
    Wow... That was really a "When Mohammed can't come to Mohammed, the mountain comes to Mohammed".
    Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me

I thought this post may have encouraged some of the people who post in the politics forum to educate us a bit more, obviously it hasnt worked.
    How can you expect your normal, average person to come here if youre not even prepared to help us, or try to educate us.

Id like to thank MOK :)
    PNJ :)
    Who have actually replied an tried to explain things in easier terms, you have actually taken time out to explain things.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    I thought this post may have encouraged some of the people who post in the politics forum to educate us a bit more, obviously it hasnt worked.
    How can you expect your normal, average person to come here if youre not even prepared to help us, or try to educate us.

Cause it is not our job educating anyone! Jeez!

Yes we would like more contributers, and certain individuals may want to go research and explain step by step about the different parties etc. But I do not feel that it is in your right to blame us for not educating you.

You're a grown woman, you can handle the internet. If people here can't help you, then I think that by now you have a vague idea of where to search.

I am sorry if this sounds totally unreasonable, but look at your way of pushing your learning, as our responsibility, and you'll understand why.

Btw, I would advise you not to get people from this forum to educate you. Should you listen to Clandestine you'd start burning American flags. Should you listen to PNJ you'd ber changing your mind according what the paper said today.
    Id like to thank MOK

Always a pleasure, hope I wasn't giving you a perpective from a political party, I was trying to be objective because, as I said, the decision on who to vote for must be your own

To a certain extent I would echo some of what Jacqui has said. We can only do so much, but you will need to have a certain graps of some fundamental things. Consider it homework!

What you need to do is some research on your own, look at what is happening in the world and see how much you understand and how much just raises more questions for you - the whys, hows etc. Once you've done that feel free to come back with more questions if you like, I'm more than happy to walk you through things in as objective a manner as I can.

If you don't want to do it publically, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address...
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Cause it is not our job educating anyone! Jeez!

NO your correct its not, but this place is all about giving advice, trying to get your views over and sharing opinions.
    So when someone goes to the Anything Goes forum are you going to tell them to look for the answer they require over the internet? or would you say "Well I would do it this way because !!! "

As its been mentioned in the Anything Goes Forum that politics forum doesent have many visitors as it could have.........Im not suprised why :rolleyes:
    becky boo don't wait for people to welcome you here...just come and post.

That's what I do.:yes:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    NO your correct its not, but this place is all about giving advice, trying to get your views over and sharing opinions.
    So when someone goes to the Anything Goes forum are you going to tell them to look for the answer they require over the internet? or would you say "Well I would do it this way because !!! "

As its been mentioned in the Anything Goes Forum that politics forum doesent have many visitors as it could have.........Im not suprised why :rolleyes:

No one in this forum feels welcome. PERIOD.
    It is about discussing the state of different issues. Not about mothering or imposing thoughts on one another.

If you followed the discussions you'd see how people react to one another when a discussion gets heated. I've been called dumb and ignorant etc. And I have aired my opinion about some posters as well.
    I guess that if you don't have an interest for this, then there's nothing to do. It's not about age, gender, placement, position etc. it's simply about interest.

You can't expect me or anyone else to give you that interest.
    Though if you do have it in the first place, you'd do yourself best by showing it, and not asking us to supply it.

The forum could have more posters, but is it really worth it, if the regulars are expected to deliver all on a silver plate?
    For your info, I have reserached, looking for links etc. more than I have on homework of certain subjects.

It's all down to commitment and interest. Not being a popular forum, as that is Anything Goes' place.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    No one in this forum feels welcome. PERIOD.
    It is about discussing the state of different issues. Not about mothering or imposing thoughts on one another.

Surely if I or anyone else visits this forum with a question aimed at peoples views you would NOT be imposing anything on anyone.
    I guess that if you don't have an interest for this, then there's nothing to do
    Again Id say there has to be some interest for me here other wise why the hell did i post in this forum :confused:

anyway pointless rambling on, I get the impression that if you are not knowlegable on the subject you might as well not visit. But just remember we all are not perfect.........not even you :)

Id like to thank MOK :)
    PNJ :)
    Who have actually replied an tried to explain things in easier terms, you have actually taken time out to explain things.

Sorry! I've been away for a bit but I'm back now so hows about I tell you some bad points about the three main parties as i see them?

Cons: Funded and to an extent, controlled by big business. Big business issues at heart - profit, profit and profit. Will privatise anything that moves believing it to be more efficient. Laissez-faire philosophy means lower taxes but less government safety net; would you want your public services run by a private company? Almost destroyed by loss of their pragmatism under Thatcher - still struggling to get rid of the Neo-Liberal ideology.

New Lab: Increasingly looking like the old Conservative party - funded increasingly by big business, and so swinging towards the right on most issues; PPP, PFI in schools, hospitals etc, lower taxes and military might. Loss of dogmatic ideology has made them electable but betrayed their core supporters - now ignored as they 'always' vote Labour anyway, Middle England concentrated upon. While not as bad as the tories, its getting there.

Lib Dems: Strong criticism about lack of an overarching ideology, hypocrisy about issues such as incineration and green issues over areas where they are wooing left-wingers (they are more green) and areas where they are wooing right-wingers (less green). (Personally i think the Lib Dems are the best party because they are the only party interested in full Public Services)
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Sorry! I've been away for a bit but I'm back now so hows about I tell you some bad points about the three main parties as i see them?

Thanks Simbelyne, thats all I wanted which was peoples opinion of the different parties and maybe learn a little something :)
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    Surely if I or anyone else visits this forum with a question aimed at peoples views you would NOT be imposing anything on anyone.

Again Id say there has to be some interest for me here other wise why the hell did i post in this forum :confused:

anyway pointless rambling on, I get the impression that if you are not knowlegable on the subject you might as well not visit. But just remember we all are not perfect.........not even you :)

Wasn't talking about being perfect, flawless, or anything else.No one comes here and knows it all. Just as no one should come and expect to get everything served. Look in the other threads and read how many times, people tell one another to study the subject/read a report/ etc.
    It's just about general approach. Fairylights made an excellent post where she states what she knows, and asks for opinions etc. while stating that she would like to know more. You come and introduce yourself, and ask us to find out which party suits you.

I have actually asked the same question you, I just believe that I didn't try to make people feel guilty about serving me what they know on a silver plate.

Search for a post called English Parties or something similar by me.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me
    I have actually asked the same question you, I just believe that I didn't try to make people feel guilty about serving me what they know on a silver plate.

Sorry I wasnt trying to make people feel guilty and I apologise if thats how it came across. I came and asked for opinions maybe I should have gone more into detail and stated my knowledge, added more details etc, having said that I did actually say I wasnt into politics so my knowledge is not very good.
    I just think that there could be many younger posters who would like to learn more but maybe are afraid to actually come here and post.
    As I have just said to Simbelyne all I wanted was your opinions and why I should vote for the party you folllow. I thought that if people gave their views they could just maybe change my view on certain matters which incidently on a few occasions I have had my view changed on topics by something that posters from The Site have written.
    Its all about debate, debating is good because it gives everyone the opportunity to actually learn something or show them other ways at looking at the matter.

search for a post called English Parties or something similar by me

Ok thanks, I will :)
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sell yourself to me

Search for a post called English Parties or something similar by me.

I found the thread, thanks.

I will do a bit of researching and then maybe try again eh :)