Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An EU DEFENSE FORCE.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sure it costs a lot of money. However since the primary function of a European army will be defending its terroritory, not conquering the world, the logistical support needed won't be nearly as big.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DB56K
    I presume that doesn't include Air Force and Navy etc?
    Where did you get the information for your point from, I'm interested in WW2 and didn't realise France had best equipped army in europe in 1940
    By best equipped do you mean, most modern equippment, most new equippment or most equippment or all of the above?

Actually, the French would be close on Air Force as well.. very tight race on AF in May of 1940 between the RAF, French and Germans.

Navy obviously not included, France was #2 in Europe, but Britain was far and away the leader in that area.

Army - best equipped: most modern and capable equipment, most equipment, both modern and total, and largest Army. Major shortcomings were quality of leadership (something that hasn't changed) and communications.

Any decent history of the Battle of France that includes OB (Order of Battle) and equipment comparisons will show this. I've seen the information in at least four different histories of the campaign.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I'm sure it costs a lot of money. However since the primary function of a European army will be defending its terroritory, not conquering the world, the logistical support needed won't be nearly as big.

Really?

You are clueless, Aladdin. Read a bit about the defense of Europe by the Wehrmacht.

"Amatuers study tactics. Professionals study logistics." - Erwin Rommel

Logistical support is necessary to all wars. Superior logistical support is the primary reason that Israel wins every war it fights.

The European powers don't have ANY logistical capabilities worth discussing. Britain discarded hers after the Falklands. Germany can't support 20% of the Bundeswehr in combat operations. The French are unable to support any operation larger than the current operation in the Ivory Coast. Belgium has no real logistical capability.

The only countries in Western Europe besides the UK that have the ability to defend their own borders without US assistance are Sweden, Switzerland and Norway (and Norway would prefer US assistance).
  • Options
    If you are really suggesting that European countries don't have the logisitical resources to support their forces within their own borders, then I must have to wonder what your job in the US army exactly is.

Unbelievable.
  • Options

And how exactly are the French treacherous? Because they refused to bow to the Master and dared to voice their opposition to this illegal, self-interest driven war on Iraq?

You mean like the self-interest driven war they are waging in the Ivory Coast?

Or do you mean the war in Iraq that destroyed their illegal, self-interest driven deals with Saddam Hussein's regime?

Or maybe you mean sharing intelligence information with Saddam Hussein? That wouldn't be treacherous now, would it?
  • Options
    If you are really suggesting that European countries don't have the logisitical resources to support their forces within their own borders, then I must have to wonder what your job in the US army exactly is.

Unbelievable.

It's a fact, one you obviously don't get. Combat forces are less than 10% of a modern Army. Look at the defense expenditures of Germany, France, Great Britain... look at the size of the forces they field, and tell me where are they cutting costs? I know where. Logistical support capability.

They rely on the Americans. For Germany, they have since 1945. For France, they have since 1942. For the UK, they have since about 1991 (to a lesser extent).

Christ, the French couldn't supply 2d REP in Dien Bien Phu! ONE Regiment.
  • Options
    I'm probably wrong but..

Taking the Iraq war for instance I 'thought' that one of the Few plus points of having the UK come along was because of their logistical support ie mid air refueling aircraft?

Obviously not..
  • Options
    I certainly would not call an increased French presence in Ivory Coast 'waging war'. Like MoK has said of the US many times, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And even if the French opposed the war only because of the oil deals they had running (which is not the case), at least they were trying to stop a war. A good thing. Not to start a war. A very bad thing, and illegal as it happens.

As for the sharing intelligence with Saddam issue, I think there is a much better chance the documents were forged. Note the media's attitute to the news. I think only a few believe such thing.
  • Options
    Note the media's attitute to the news. I think only a few believe such thing.

Just so you understand the anti-French feeling coming from America, the media's attitude was to report it in detail in the US. Even the liberal ones did. Then a day later, they said maybe the French were trying to warn Saddam to change or he could be invaded by the US. In other words, the documents might not be capturing the intent of what was being said.

Fox continues to wip up anti-French ferver.

The silence from the French on this was also reported by all of the media.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DB56K
    I'm probably wrong but..

Taking the Iraq war for instance I 'thought' that one of the Few plus points of having the UK come along was because of their logistical support ie mid air refueling aircraft?

Obviously not..

Adding the UK or the French (and especially some Eastern European forces) does not decrease the logistical capabilities of the total force, and may increase it in specific areas (fuel tankers per your example). That doesn't mean that the forces from that country have the logistical capabilities to support themselves at war.

Take France as an example. They have close to zero tactical air transport capability. Their ability to transport food and munitions to their combat troops is currently stretched to the max supplying three regimental organizations and one Special Operations unit in the Ivory Coast.

Can those assets be used as part of a larger, more capable organization? Absolutely.

Do they have the ability to support themselves in a war against France on French soil? Not if the attacking forces are a modern Army over a couple of divisions in size.

The UK does have sufficient logistical capabilities to defend herself, and has excess capabilities (meaning capabilities beyond those required for self-defense) in some areas. In other areas, the UK depends on the US. That should not be a surprise, it is the way NATO was designed. An EU defense force that replaces NATO will be VERY expensive, because it must replace all the assets that NATO depends on the US for.
  • Options
    sadly since that, america has seemed to balls it all up

You're probably watching the wrong broadcasts. The media who were against the war want to make like it is a failure...it's not. Ask any of the people who were or knew people who were tortured...

And remember, the UN only cared about compliance against WMD's. France and friends never had any intention of Saddam leaving power. And they had contact with his regime. Your soldiers found the paperwork. And France sold weapons to them until late 2002. I think America has been a true friend to the UK. And the war wasn't about oil. America was already getting Iraqi oil below market price. When we liberated Kuwaitt, we gave them back their oil fields. That's a matter of record.

France is just trying to grow this year. If they don't come up with some major sales, their economy will actually shrink.

And the general public in the US appreciate's the UK as a friend...not some 51st state. I've honestly never heard that here. Never. Go back to 2002...Bush called Iraq part of the Axis of Evil. We've been honest about who our friends and enemies are.
  • Options

And even if the French opposed the war only because of the oil deals they had running (which is not the case), at least they were trying to stop a war. A good thing. Not to start a war. A very bad thing, and illegal as it happens.

Illegal? How?

As for the rest of your comment, the one thing you have convinced me of: You would have happily let Hitler, Tojo, etc. massacre millions of people because it was better than to "start a war".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Illegal? How?

As for the rest of your comment, the one thing you have convinced me of: You would have happily let Hitler, Tojo, etc. massacre millions of people because it was better than to "start a war".

Illegal because the US/UK invaded without the permission/blessing of the UN.
  • Options
    ... I have just reminded him that France is a nuclear power, and if it chose to it could destroy the US...

Only in your wetdreams... :rolleyes:

Or France's. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne

The UN has made itself irrelevant.

You seek the "permission" of a thing irrelevant?

Would make you a bigger joke than the UN. :lol:
  • Options

The UN is neither a government or a law-making body.
  • Options
    They supported Slobodan? BS.

Erm...Serbia was/is a French ally.

As was Kosovo then.

But I think that Mr Hat has answered this, the UN doesn't make laws.
  • Options
    [posted twice]
  • Options
    On the contrary Greenhat, I would have been a fervent supporter of war against Hitler. Unlike some people (including you it would seems) I can tell the difference between an evil empire bent on the extermination of millions and on world domination, and a piss-poor little despot obsessed only with self-preservation, and who would not be of danger to the Vatican City's defences, let alone anyone else.

As a matter of fact I would have supported a war on Iraq as a last resort and once it became clear that he was a danger to others and that all diplomatic avenues had been extinguished. I think this war has proven- if anyone had any doubts- what danger he really posed. As for the diplomatic solutions... well isn't it fucking funny that as the world raises its eyebrows at the lack of WMDs (did you see Putin publicly humiliating Tony Blair about this the other day? :lol: ) Rumsfield and co. go on the defensive and say that "it will take months to establish where the WMDs are" [if they exist at all]. Which is PRECISELY what Blix had been saying repeatedly to the UNSC, only for the Bush and Blair governments to say it was nonsense.

Thanatos, as an ex-military man I had thought at least you had some basic knowledge of military issues. Either that or you just can't face the truth. The US is vulnerable to a nuclear holocaust by France, if they chose to do so. I'm sorry you're not indestructible yet. Keep working in the National Missile Defence Shield; one day you might even make it work.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Rumsfield and co. go on the defensive and say that "it will take months to establish where the WMDs are"

But you were with the gang that wanted to give the UN inspectors more time to find the WMD's.

The threat was from a guy who teamed up with his enemies, Bin Laden, in order to fight a bigger enemy: the US.

If Saddam and Bin Laden could have made the US back off, you would have had an era of Muslims fighting each other as Iraq or Al Qaeda invaded Arab countries to create a radical Muslim nation stretching from Europe across Northern Afica in a semicircle around the Mediterrean. At which point, Saddam and Bin Laden may have stop or may have not stopped.
  • Options
    Yes, I wanted more time for the inspections. And Saddam's ex-buddy Rumsfield has just vindicated that position: it indeed takes a few months to check if there are any WMDs left. But no, the Axis of Idiots insisted that it was imperative we moved in immediately. Which translates as: "we wanted to invade Iraq all along, and pencilled in February-March 2003 for the war"

I can't see any evidence of a link between Al Qaeda and Saddam either, other than the dodgier-looking-by-the-minute document miraculously found intact amongst the rubble of an Iraqi government building.

A good article here about the deception, lies and the secret services of Britain and the US.
  • Options
    Axis of Idiots

blahaaaaaaaaaa good 1:lol:

The link was very good.:wave:
  • Options
    On the contrary Greenhat, I would have been a fervent supporter of war against Hitler. Unlike some people (including you it would seems) I can tell the difference between an evil empire bent on the extermination of millions and on world domination, and a piss-poor little despot obsessed only with self-preservation, and who would not be of danger to the Vatican City's defences, let alone anyone else.

Uh huh, sure you can. You can't figure out what it takes to defend a nation, or how military power is projected, but you can tell the difference you describe above.

Aladdin, you couldn't tell the difference until one of them exterminated you.
  • Options
    Well you are the military man not me. But then you claim that European countries could not deploy and sustain their own forces inside their own bloody countries, so I have to say your assessment of the strengths of armed forces seem extremely peculiar. You wouldn't have been advising the Pentagon on the strength of the Iraqi army would you? ;)

I just think it's a terrible waste of money! What's the point of having an army if we can't use it, even at home? I'd better write to all the Prime Ministers concerned and tell them not to bother anymore.
  • Options
    Although all nineteen members of NATO made some contribution to the operation (Kosovo), that of the United States was overwelmingly dominant. American paid for 80 per cent of the cost - Britain and France made up most of the rest. The US supplied 650 of the 927 aircraft that took part in the air campaign. THe US flew two-thirds of the strike missions. Almost every precision-guided missile (PGM) was launched from an American aircraft. The US was alone in contributing long-range bombers, which dropped about half the bombs and missiles used in the campaign.
    The cause of this imbalance was not generally, with the noticable exception of the Greeks, any lack of commitment by the rest of NATO, and certainly not by Britain. The problem was rather that America's allies had neither the quantity nor, above all, the quality of weaponry required to be effective partners of the US. Thus while the British flew more than a thousand strike missions, three-quarters of the munitions we dropped were unguided. When poor visibility interfered with PGMs that relied on laser-designation or optical guidance, only the Americans had the technology (in the form of the Joint Direct Attack Munition) which allowed them to attack targets in all weathers. Finally, it was US intelligence which identified nearly all of the bombing targets in Serbia and Kosovo.

- Statecraft page 36

A conflict in Europes "backyard".... and one that required relying on the United States for the great bulk of support, intelligence and attack resources.

The problem that the European nations have isn't their military. It is idiots like you who don't understand that effective defense does require funding, training and not just the lip service that Europe generally has paid to it for years, knowing they could rely on the United States to bail them out.
  • Options
    A sure sign of Greenhat losing the plot is when he descends to petty insults. I'm surprised you haven't resorted to your favourite line yet about beating up the wife. :lol:

I'm really struggling to comprehend how any war in history has been waged and won before the arrival of laser-guided bombs and the omnipresent, all-powerful, well supported United States army. Did you travel back in time and assisted others by any chance?

The war in Kosovo being conducted mostly by US forces might have something to do with the US being the instigator of the war. I'm not debating the US has a superior and bigger military than others. So it makes sense to use the best equipment available.

But if Europe had had to go into the Kosovo, or any other such war without the US we would have also done the deed. Maybe not as effectively, maybe not as fast, but we would have been up to the task. We have bombers, you know? We have fighters. And tanks. And troops. And transport planes. And refueling aircraft.

And even if what you’re suggesting above was true- which it isn’t- it still doesn’t support your claim that European armies could not deploy and support their troops effectively within their own borders. That statement remains as absurd now as when you first uttered it.
  • Options
    But if Europe had had to go into the Kosovo, or any other such war without the US we would have also done the deed.

A lot of Europe are leeches. Then there's the standing for nothing cult that makes me superior...comprised of Sweden and Switzerland.

This little meeting was about France trying to make up for lost sales/monies to Iraq. Look at the countries that participated...they were guaranteed to buy French goods. I don't blame them. France has the right to sell its stuff.