Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

But who trusts the Brit press, anyways? Right?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Just the same ones that the UK has been involved in..plus a few dozen more.

So is that every single one of them?

If not, doesn't that make you a selfish twit?
    Originally posted by carlito
    So is that every single one of them?

If not, doesn't that make you a selfish twit?

Seems you're the selfish twit, and you've already proved it. Why don't you do some research?
    Seems you're the selfish twit, and you've already proved it. Why don't you do some research?

Are you going to respond to my point then?
    You haven't made a point, and you wouldn't believe the answer anyway.
    You haven't made a point, and you wouldn't believe the answer anyway.

Ok, I'll restate my point in the simplest terms possible.

You accused me of being a selfish twit because I said that the UK shouldn't directly fight terrorists that are attacking America, or the West in general, because that would actually increase our chances of being attacked by many times.

I asked you if the USA had been involved in fighting every terrorist campaign over the world in the last 50 years- the implication being that if the US doesn't feel the need to stick its head above the parapet for other people, then why the hell should we?
    Ok, I'll restate my point in the simplest terms possible.

You accused me of being a selfish twit because I said that the UK shouldn't directly fight terrorists that are attacking America, or the West in general, because that would actually increase our chances of being attacked by many times.

I asked you if the USA had been involved in fighting every terrorist campaign over the world in the last 50 years- the implication being that if the US doesn't feel the need to stick its head above the parapet for other people, then why the hell should we?

No, not quite what you asked, suggest you go back and reread.

The US has been involved in the fights against every terrorism group that has attacked Britain.

You're still a selfish twit.
    So, you don't mind if another country gets bombed with a radiation bomb? Or maybe if one is set off at Dunkirk?

Selfish twit, aren't you?
    I think that the question is rather that, given that the UK is a hard target for terrorists, is it more selfish of us to encourage terrorist reprisals which will involve softer targets like Bali? The rightwingers never tire of accusing the left of blaming every atrocity, whoever commits it, on the the US and it's cohorts. Why should terrorists take unnecessary risks, when the point of terrorism is to highlight the vulnerability of the other side?
    There is more than enough material for a radiation bomb (radioactive material and C4)...
    C4 is a pretty dirty bomb to begin with, isn't it? And Al-Qa'ida didn't need radioactive box cutters to kill thousands in New York.
    No, not quite what you asked, suggest you go back and reread.

The US has been involved in the fights against every terrorism group that has attacked Britain.

You're still a selfish twit.

Ok I've re-read, and I think I asked the same question three times, without a response.

Has the US fought every terrorist campaign in the last 50 years throughout the world?

Now that is a very debateable statement, but its still irrelevant because I obviously don't support the British Governments policy, do I.

Maybe you could get round to answering my question?
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    C4 is a pretty dirty bomb to begin with, isn't it?

Uh, you know ZERO about explosives, don't you? C4 is an explosive. Very fast burning and very clean. Leaves pretty much nothing behind (slight nitrate residue).

Has the US fought every terrorist campaign in the last 50 years throughout the world?

Nope. Israel has fought some of the campaigns. So has Britain. The Dutch. The Germans. Honduras. El Salvador. Argentina. Japan. The Phillipines. Thailand. Malaysia. Australia. The French. The Spanish. The Turks. The Russians. The Greeks.

The United States has helped in most of those. Not all. Some because the nation that fought the campaign didn't feel a need for help.

Why don't you think very, very carefully about the question you are asking instead of continuing to make yourself look like a fool?
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    I think that the question is rather that, given that the UK is a hard target for terrorists, is it more selfish of us to encourage terrorist reprisals which will involve softer targets like Bali? The rightwingers never tire of accusing the left of blaming every atrocity, whoever commits it, on the the US and it's cohorts. Why should terrorists take unnecessary risks, when the point of terrorism is to highlight the vulnerability of the other side?

Still haven't bothered to read that Scotland Yard report on terrorism, have you?

Terrorists hit targets that they feel will make their point in the greatest manner. It has nothing to do with if you invite reprisals or not (remember the terrorist attack in Holland?). Target assessment is a bit more involved than just "oh, they haven't done anything to us", especially since it will make absolutely no difference if you have done anything or not. If Britain is chosen as a target, there will be a reason found, justified or not.

Terrorists don't think like you do. They don't reason like you do. They don't value what you do. Trying to apply your concepts of what is logical to them is simply fooling yourself.
    Nope. Israel has fought some of the campaigns. So has Britain. The Dutch. The Germans. Honduras. El Salvador. Argentina. Japan. The Phillipines. Thailand. Malaysia. Australia. The French. The Spanish. The Turks. The Russians. The Greeks.

The United States has helped in most of those. Not all. Some because the nation that fought the campaign didn't feel a need for help.

Why don't you think very, very carefully about the question you are asking instead of continuing to make yourself look like a fool?

I'm sorry but I can't see past the hypocrisy of you calling me a "selfish twit" because I say that we shouldn't raise our risk of being struck by terrorism by getting involved in this, while the US has not been involved in most fighting most terrorist campaigns around the world over the last 50 years. Why should we make ourselves a target when you, for instance, refused to even crack down on NORAID.

If your answer is that the USA has tried to involve itself in fighting every terrorist group and opnly hasn't done so on some occasions because the country has refused help, well then the argument is finished, because that is ludicrous.
    I'm sorry but I can't see past the hypocrisy of you calling me a "selfish twit" because I say that we shouldn't raise our risk of being struck by terrorism by getting involved in this, while the US has not been involved in most fighting most terrorist campaigns around the world over the last 50 years. Why should we make ourselves a target when you, for instance, refused to even crack down on NORAID.

If your answer is that the USA has tried to involve itself in fighting every terrorist group and opnly hasn't done so on some occasions because the country has refused help, well then the argument is finished, because that is ludicrous.

Most?

I'd say yes. That isn't all. And you'll have to go ask the SAS about ludicrous, since you obviously don't have any idea.
    Most?

I'd say yes. That isn't all. And you'll have to go ask the SAS about ludicrous, since you obviously don't have any idea.

(putting aside the obviously farcical claim that the US has fought "most" terrorist campaigns over the last 50 years) why not all then?

Are you such a selfish twit that you don't care about those people's suffering?
    (putting aside the obviously farcical claim that the US has fought "most" terrorist campaigns over the last 50 years) why not all then?

Are you such a selfish twit that you don't care about those people's suffering?

I already answered this. Maybe you should pay attention.
    I already answered this. Maybe you should pay attention.

No, I can't find the answer.

Whats your excuse as to why the US hasn't been involved in fighting all terrorist campaigns? Surely if you haven't then you're a selfish twit, by your own logic?