Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Predictions For Tomorrow?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what does everyone think the Local Elections will go like tomorrow?
Will many people turn out?
Who will lose out?
Who will gain?

Personally id like the Liberal Democrats to do well, especially where i live. My Local council consists of 27 Conservatives 24 Liberal Democrats and 1 Labour. The Liberal Democrats are doing alot of good in my area, they also say what they are doing regulary with a newsletter. The Conservatives dont seem to take into consideration the views of local people on issues here! I live in Buckinghamshire you see, its almost true blue:rolleyes:
Its a shame im not old enough to vote yet, and i wish more people my age were actually intrested noone seems to care anymore it seems, and these are the people who will be the electorate of the future.

Sorry i know ive gone a bit off topic, but feel free to discuss.:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bear in mind that they gain 1300 seats in 1997, the Tories have set themselves a target of 30 gains :rolleyes:

So, just how unpopular do they think they are, or is it that they will claim anything above this as a resounding success?

From a another perspective, I can see a few gains for the BNP - advertising slogan "People Like You" - as if some people aren't human or something - because people are happier to vote for them at this level, than they are at National levels...

Oh, and a huge outcry when they do
    I reckon it'll be a bad night for the Tories, they'll almost certainly lose seats in Scotland and Wales and probably make few impressive gains. Labour will probably be damaged by the lack of interest by their membership in canvassing after the Iraq war and a low turnout but they'll probably register small gains. The main winners will probably be the LibDems who will gain out of dissatisfaction from both major parties - plus there aren't any metropolitan boroughs up for election and so there's not much chance for Labour to gain from Tories. The Nationalists will probably do okay but not as good as in 1999 and there will be probably be one or two token victories for the BNP - I heard they've put a lot of effort into Sunderland so we'll see what happens there.
    Are these BNP town councilers in the minority overall. They can be overuled by the main parties right?
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Are these BNP town councilers in the minority overall. They can be overuled by the main parties right?

Right. Thank God.
    if plaid ever get anywhere near running the assembly i and a few thousand other english people will be moving out. with money. jobs and services. then see how they like the fact that inflated house prices, cuased by the english suddenly collapse and i mean collapse. the shops and factories and pubs start being boarded up.

Currently, but rather than be complacent and let them get a foot in the door wouldn't it be better to try and make sure that they don't get elected at all?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Currently, but rather than be complacent and let them get a foot in the door wouldn't it be better to try and make sure that they don't get elected at all?
    Thats a good point MoK. Its a shame that due to "normal" voters who cant be bothered to vote that occasionly these people get in.
    Am i going to be the only one who stays up to watch the results tonite?
    Am i going to be the only one who stays up to watch the results tonite?

Nope. I'm that sad too.
    Nope. I'm that sad too.

least im not the only one then!:D

I don't think apathy is the only issue pertaining to the BNP gaining council seats. Certainly in some northern towns there is a feeling that etnic minorities receive preferebtial treatment from local councils.