Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I've lost one of my best friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi folks

i've kept this in for too long and I need some positive advice.

I'm in the first year of college and I had a mate from school who moved to a college down south.

We still kept in touch thru email and phone and we visited each others house when we could.

Once I met one of his friends and ended up chatting to them on the messenger when I got back home.

Just at the beginning of this year however was when I probably made one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.

This friend of his was telling me on the messenger how great my mate was doing down there and this somehow got me over the edge.

I knew my mate had a tendancy to tell fibs now and again, he did it at school to get out of trouble, and in this case I was being told about how he had got a part time job that paid an hourly rate that I believe was too high for a student.

I ended up saying to this friend that the wage was not right and then jus said something along the lines of, "Leave it about 6 months and you will be able to tell if he is telling the truth or not"

What is worse tho is that this was said on a computer and as you all can imagine it sounds incredibly nasty although I really had no intention of being nasty. I have been friends with him for too long and I would never mean to say anything to put him down in any way.

The day after I realised what I had said and his friend had told him what I had said. and sent my mate an email apologising about what I had said, but got no reply.

About two weeks later I got word from my school that a teacher had died. I told my mates friend if they could tell him(on the comp) and they said they thought it was best if I rang him. So i rang him and was jus about to tell him and then he started saying he never wanted to speak to me again and put the phone down.

That really hit me and still does and at the same time got me in a bad mood.

The day after I sent him another email telling him about the teache and that night his friend starts asking me on the comp if i sent him an email that day. at that point i was in a bad mood and ended up sayin somethin along the lines of "yes dont ask stupid quesitons, you've lost me my best friend , stop pestering me!"

about a month ago i sent him another email asking him to ring me and I really needed to talk to him because i really want to sort this out and make up.

Now, reading this I can understand you label me as an ignorant, selfish(other words ) prat. and i agree.

i think my only excuse is i was envious of that he was getting all this appraisal and I wasnt from any of my other friends.

What can I do, people?

please help me

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you're ignorant or selfish or whatever else you called yourself :p. You just got your wires crossed. In fact I think your friend is partly to blame for getting the wrong end of the stick about your conversation, especially from someone who isn't you. These things happen, just send him a long e-mail explaining your side of the story, really lick his ass, then he'll start to feel guilty and have to forgive and forget! Or you could send him a long text message. He's guaranteed to read it.
  • Options
    race ...you sound like a realy nice earthling. i ammdrun k at themoment but will rember you. i'll think about you. tara forn now.
  • Options
    WHY DONT U SHOW HIM THIS THREAD? hes being totally unreasonable, so maybe hes been told more to this story than there actually is?
  • Options
    Leave him for a while to cool off and calm down, then email him again - apologise, but tell him he's got it waaay out of proportion! Tell him you really wish you hadn't put your friendship on the line but you want him back as a friend and are truly sorry if you offended him.

Other than that, there's not much more you can do! But don't feel too bad; he really has overreacted and you weren't that nasty.