Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

future

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
here's some questions that i thought might be interesting:

How old do people want to be when they get married? How long do you want to be with that person before you make such a committment? Do people feel that they will probably marry around the same age their parents did?

Comments

• Options
    I will most likely get married after graduating university. :) I would live with them first for a while and then get married. I don't know whether i will get married around the same age as my parents did but it is probable. :) So I think I will get married in my late 20's early 30's.:)
  • Options
    Don't want to get married ever...

but I was about 25 wen I realised I'd met the person 'm going to spend the rest of my life with and we've been together 8 years.

My mum and dad married when she was 19 and he was 24...a bit young for her I think, and then she went on to have 3 kids in 4 years which sent her into depression. I'm surprised my dad got married at all as he was hardly marriage material!!

I think that getting married only a few wees or months into a relationship is worse than marrying really young but marrying someone you've known for a while.

I'd always suggest moving in first too!!
  • Options
    since im not a christian and im pagan, i have to get married 1ce to make it legal and once to make it feel right.:P

I dunno when im gonna get married but if i do get married wen my parents did itll be in 3 years wen im 21
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

I think that getting married only a few wees or months into a relationship is worse than marrying really young but marrying someone you've known for a while.
    My friend got married his girlfriend when he had known her for a matter of months and she is only 19! I would follow your advice because they're having awul problems now. If they weren't married I think they would have split and gone their seperate ways by now.

Personally, I hope to get married by the age of 30.

My father married at 19 but was divorced by 22. He married my mum when he was *thinks*.... 25.
  • Options
    Re: future
    Originally posted by rusted_purity
    Do people feel that they will probably marry around the same age their parents did?

No way! My parents were 19 and 20 when they got married! :eek:

In an ideal world I'd like to get married at about 30 but to be honest I'm not that bothered at the moment. I wouldn't get married without living with someone first and I would have had to of been with them for at least a couple of years!

Who knows though, my opinions will probably change in 10 years time.
  • Options
    Re: future
    Originally posted by rusted_purity
    How old do people want to be when they get married? How long do you want to be with that person before you make such a committment? Do people feel that they will probably marry around the same age their parents did?

My first thoughts were that I'd like to be about 25....but that only gives me 2.5 years in which to meet this perfect man! lol :rolleyes: So let's say late 20's....about 27 ish and I'd ideally like to be with the guy for about 3 or 4 years first.

Too late to be married the same age as my parents - they were 20 & 22, and I'm 22 now!
  • Options
    I hope to get married and have children :):):)

It's just something I've always thought I'll do, and I dream of finding the perfect man to spend the rest of my life with. I don't really care when I marry as long as it's not so young that I don't enjoy being single at all (like straight after uni etc) and not so old that I can't have children any more.

My parents were 26 and 22, I think that's a little young.
  • Options
    one day i hope i'll find a lovely man and get married. ideally no later than my late 20s as i would like to have my first kid before i'm 30. i'd want to live together before marriage, and i want at least 4 kids.

i doubt it'll ever happen but hohum.

my mum was 22 when she got married, but 27 before she had me - i think she married a little bit young, but i'm glad she waited until she was a bit older before having children.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    My parents were 26 and 22, I think that's a little young.

Mine were 24 and 19! (Dad and Mum respectively). But they'd been together for 3 years before that and had lived together already because my mum was ill and because of various family problems. So they had a very strong relationship before that. They're still married, 21 years later. So really I don't think you can make a hard and fast rule about it. My mum didn't go to uni or anything and doesn't work now, so she didn't have that complication - but they did keep the relationship going through my dad's university career, before they got married.

I think age isn't so important as how long you've been together. I wouldn't assume that just because I was 30, I should marry the first stable boyfriend I have at that time. But if I were still with my current boyfriend when I'm, say 25, (unlikely, but I'm talking hypothetically - so we'd have been together for 6/7 years which isn't really going to happen) I might decide that we'd been together long enough to get married. I think it depends on the relationship but it's a shame that so many people get engaged so young without real intention to get married, or thinking that divorce is an easy get out clause if it all goes wrong.

Whoops, that was long.
  • Options
    Pauls mummy & daddy met when they were 14 & 16 :) I think thats really cute!! They got married @ 17 & 19 :rolleyes:

My parents met when they were 19 & 20 but because they were both in uni doing medicine didn't get married untill 24 & 25.

I'm 16 & Paul is 18 :) We met when I was 14 & he was 16. Then he went in the sodding army!! We are engaged but I doubt for the moment it will stay that way!

I wanna have kids by the time I am 25 though :D
  • Options
    I think a lot of people who say 'I'd like to have kids before I'm 30' or whatever, will most probably wake up at the age of thirty and say 'oh me gawd..what happened, I've been having such a good time I forgot to have them!' Perhaps there is something to be said for getting on with it at a young age before you get too settled in your well financed free life.

I'm certainly discovering that once you get past the age of 27 the years seem to pass by twice as quickly as before!!:)
  • Options
    I think a lot of people who say 'I'd like to have kids before I'm 30' or whatever, will most probably wake up at the age of thirty and say 'oh me gawd..what happened, I've been having such a good time I forgot to have them!'
    I think most people get to thirty (or are approaching thirty), realise they don't have kids, and/or aren't married, and panic! They then rush it, get hitched and sprogs on the way before you know it. I've seen it happen time and time again. :rolleyes:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    im never gonna get married. im not the type to hold down a long term relationship. and no-one would have me either. so, in answer to the question ... im never ever gonna get married.
  • Options
    Don't want to get married ever...

but I was about 25 wen I realised I'd met the person 'm going to spend the rest of my life with and we've been together 8 years.

Good point. at 21 I couldn't even imagine getting married, but after going out with my girlfriend for about 4 months I to realised that this was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with . we decided to get married - did it about a year + 1/2 later and 6 years down the line things are still pretty good. sure we have our ups and downs but marriage is a working partnership and for us a lifelong commitment, which we will keep working at.
    I should also say I knew my g/f well before we started going out.
    I think that the age one marries is (almost) irrelevant, its about commitment and opportunity.
    :)
  • Options
    i met jamie when i was 15 and he was 16. been together 3years now well just over to be precise 38months yesterday!!! and without a doubt it has been hard at times and is very hard at the mo with him just going in the navy but its a wierd feeling because since meeting him ive always kinda thought wed be together forever.

he is my best friend in the whole world!!! im not really sure when id like to get married part of me wants to in the next couple of years and part of me wants to wait because i want to travel etc, i think i will end up waiting, because if we are ment to be it will just happen.

i do miss him so much, but since he went away again on saturday hes been very sweet and sending me some lovely texts. just had to add that bit!