Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Galloway and Iraqi Money?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's your opinion?

Did he, or didn't he?

Comments

• Options
    He's just appeared on BBC News 24 stating that he didn't and has undertaken legal action against the Telegraph.

Personally I don't believe he did receive money from Saddam.
  • Options
    Do you think that the Telegraph would print something so potentially explosive (in terms of libel action) without evidence then?
  • Options
    Hey we posted the same topic. I think liberals in the EU need to keep as vigilant an eye on creeps that are helping the radical Muslims of the world as they are on supposed motives of America.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Do you think that the Telegraph would print something so potentially explosive (in terms of libel action) without evidence then?

Yes. Next question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Hey we posted the same topic. I think liberals in the EU need to keep as vigilant an eye on creeps that are helping the radical Muslims of the world as they are on supposed motives of America.

Would you care to explain what radical Muslims have to do with the war on Iraq?

Or even better, would you kindly refrain from using the words 'radical' 'Muslim' and 'pervert' when talking about the war on Iraq? You might as well mention 'garlic bread', for all the relation it has.
  • Options
    What I'm mystified about in this case is what he is supposed to have done in return for the £300K a year. Thats a lot of money and he has very little influence on government, he's a long way from being in the cabinet.
  • Options
    What would Saddam have been paying him to do? He's a backbencher...

Seems rather far-fetched. Remember Hitlers diaries?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    What would Saddam have been paying him to do? He's a backbencher...

Perhaps to act as an agitator within a Govt party, to stir up support for his regime/anti-war?
  • Options
    Perhaps to act as an agitator within a Govt party, to stir up support for his regime/anti-war?

Possibly... but he was never a central figur like Tony Banks or Robin Cook...

I'll wait for the trial but I do believe it could have happened... You never know with politicians...
  • Options
    Photos of the documents are on-line. They are pretty damning.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Link?
  • Options
    Search the Telegraph's site, I believe that is where it was.
  • Options

Because he wasn't already anti-war??

IIRC Galloway has had exactly the same stance on Iraq since 1991. The document says the date money was given to him was 1999, which seems odd.

In legal terms, surely the telegraph can get away with this, since they simply printed that a "document had been found which suggested he'd taken money and was demanding more", not that he had. Unless Galloway proves that the reporter planted the document or knew it was a forgery, which would be pretty difficult.
  • Options

Because papers cant be forged, oh no.
  • Options

Just Saw them on HIGNFY and they are all in arabic! Can you read Arabic Greeny?
  • Options
    What did you expect? No, I can't read Arabic. However, one of my colleagues is fluent. I get by with English, German, Korean and Thai.
  • Options
    http://www.observer.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,944392,00.html[/URL]

I dont think that he should be tried for expressing his opinion even though it was very harsh

BUT

I think that this is intresting

This latest twist comes as The Observer reveals details of a secret trip Galloway made to Morocco for the British-based Saudi dissident Saad al-Fagih, an Islamic fundamentalist who purchased a satellite phone used by al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

This guy has some dodgy connections
  • Options
    He may be dodgy, but he's gotta be downright crazy to be on Saddams payroll. The more I hear the less I believe....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    He may be dodgy, but he's gotta be downright crazy to be on Saddams payroll.

You think associating with terrorists and their supporters is a sane thing for an MP to be doing?
  • Options
    What?! He made a visit to Morroco for a bloke who might have once bought a phone off someone who might have had al-queda links?
    Come on! What is that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    What?! He made a visit to Morroco for a bloke who might have once bought a phone off someone who might have had al-queda links?
    Come on! What is that?

Unless I misunderstood, he went to Morrocco for a meeting with someone who bought a phone for OBL?

In either event, this person knows people within AlQaeda and has links with them. Is it a good idea for an MP to be meeting with them?
  • Options
    He's just the tip of the iceberg. That's what the media is saying here. Saddam also had journalists on the payroll to put anti-war and anti-American stories in their newspapers and broadcasts as well as perhaps others in the House of Commons.

I think when things settle regarding Iraq, the decent people of the world will be closer together than ever.
  • Options
    The decent people of the world are closer than ever now pnj, and all thanks to the war. Didn't you see the worldwide peace demos? :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Didn't you see the worldwide peace demos? :D

Which the majority didn't take part in... ;)
  • Options
    The decent people of the world are closer than ever now pnj, and all thanks to the war. Didn't you see the worldwide peace demos?

A lot of those people who took part in the peace movement...probably were decent people. NNNNNNNNNNow what have you got to say.:D :D