Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Ivory Coast

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why don't I know about it? It sounds like the French are being a little hypocritical... Is there some media convention not to report it? Why did the US not use it hen they were slagging the french off? (How come the Sun didn't use it come to think of that!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cote d'Ivoire was once a French colony. So the French (in all likelihood) felt obligated to send troops to maintain order (rather like we did in Sierra Leone).

I don't see how that situation is linked to Iraq. The French didn't want to 'liberate' the Ivorian people or rid the country of weapons of mass destruction.
    Obligated to invade a former colony in violation of their agreement with that country, or the sovereignty of that nation?

Funny how it's OK if you're a former colonial power...
    It depends on the actions of the French doesnt it. If they are maintaining order then its a good thing

But where the hell in the UN?
    This was being reported a lot. The Ivory Coast and Syria are considered French circles of influence so the US backed off because it, at the time, saw France as an allie, and needed it's help with Al Qaeda. And France rescued a bunch of US students at some school in the Ivory Coast. I don't see where France is doing much of anything except preventing a lot of deaths. Some of these revolutions in Africa have been terribly brutual: including eating Pygmies in the Congo...the UN is investigating that...cutting off the arms of children to show resolve, etc.

Like Iraq. My question has become how could the world let this go on. And I'll say it again. If the Iraqis weren't Muslims would the world have let them be tortured?
    Like Iraq. My question has become how could the world let this go on. And I'll say it again. If the Iraqis weren't Muslims would the world have let them be tortured?

Probabley yes because the world dont give a shit i think the lack of reaction in the past in places such as Africa and Asia has proven this

The people in Iraqi maybe liberated from a brutal dictator but i dont think the liberation was wholly on humantarian grounds. Nor do i think that it was about WMDs because if a terriorist wanted to get hold of biological or chemical weapons i'am sure they is easier ways to get them. In the end it comes to installing a Pro-American government in the middle east which would give the US a stable oil exporter as Saudi Arabia has proven to be unreliable (majority of the 9-11 hijackers were from saudi arabia).
    Originally posted by marv
    But where the hell in the UN?

I think that question says it all really...
    Re: The Ivory Coast
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Why don't I know about it? It sounds like the French are being a little hypocritical... Is there some media convention not to report it? Why did the US not use it hen they were slagging the french off? (How come the Sun didn't use it come to think of that!)

Actually it has been mentioned a few times in the British press as an example of French hypocrisy over Iraq. Perhaps you don't know about it because some group have been more interested in using the French position to bash the US than in finding out what the French are up to themselves.

Far be it for me to point out that some people have been pointing out that the French really have been skating on thin ice for some time...
    Latest news: rebel leader killed:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2981383.stm

Looks like an extremely messy situation. Hard to know if France should stay out of the way or try to help. :confused:

Interesting analysis of the all-too-common cycle of post colonialism, dictatorship, failed democracy and coups:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2317395.stm
    Interesting use of mercenaries by the Govt forces (the side apparently backed by the French too)...
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Obligated to invade a former colony in violation of their agreement with that country, or the sovereignty of that nation?

Funny how it's OK if you're a former colonial power...

Doesn't sound to me like an invasion.

Situation so far
    I suggest you do a little more research on the beginning of French involvement.
    Re: Re: The Ivory Coast
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Actually it has been mentioned a few times in the British press as an example of French hypocrisy over Iraq. Perhaps you don't know about it because some group have been more interested in using the French position to bash the US than in finding out what the French are up to themselves.

Far be it for me to point out that some people have been pointing out that the French really have been skating on thin ice for some time...

Have read up on this and it sounds more like peace-keeping than US style invasion.
    Re: Re: Re: The Ivory Coast
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Have read up on this and it sounds more like peace-keeping than US style invasion.

Not very easy being the "peace keeper" when you actively support one side...
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ivory Coast
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Not very easy being the "peace keeper" when you actively support one side...

Actually, it's much easier when you take sides. You just wipe out the other side, et voila, with only one side left there is bound to be peace.