Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Temping - a cheeky question?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been temping at a solicitors for about 7 weeks now, very boring! Have just been doing boring data inputting and that kind of mind numbing stuff. This week and next week the woman in charge of me, who has been doing her job for over 10 years!, has gone on holiday and so they asked me to take over her job til she comes back. I didn't mind cos it makes it a bit more interesting and it's more experience to put on my cv at the end of the day! To be honest I was quite pleased that they thought to give me this responsibility! But everyone else at work and at home has been syaing 'You should be getting paid more!' - I'd never even thought about it til about 5 or 6 people said it. Do they have a point since this woman gets lots more than me anyway? Should I say something to my agency or is that a bit cheeky?

Comments

• Options
    Well, as I understand it, each agency has a minimum wage anyway and the amount you generally get paid is by your experience rather than what job your doing (to a certain extent).

However, if your not any longer doing the job your were originally meant to be doing, you should tell your agency, who may have something to say to the solicitors.

Let me know how your temping goes, Iam gonna be starting this summer after my last A level exams - hopefully minimum of 5.50 an hour or 7.50 an hour if I go sign up with the agencies up in town.
  • Options
    I think it is disgusting that you don't get paid as much as the usual woman doing that job does. However I do not know the ins and outs of temping seeing as i have never done it. But if you have the guts to ask the temping agency and don't mind risking your place in the agency then go ahead and ask them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    I think it is disgusting that you don't get paid as much as the usual woman doing that job does.
    See this is the thing, she will get paid at least 4k per year more than I do, so surely if they're making me do her job I could have a payrise for a few weeks!

My agency give different hourly rates depending on what job your doing, some weeks I might earn 6.00 an hour, some it might be 5.50 and they have other jobs that are about 8.00. So I think I shall mention it to them tomorrow and see what they say.

And Sanj33v - my temping's been going well, is easy money really! And very handy since you get paid every week!
  • Options
    NO I dont think you should say it to be honest.
    You might be doing her work but could you of bein giving that work in the first place as opposed to what your doing now?
    As you said its good experience- for your CV and getting the work/promotion in the future.
    There is more of a chance in them giving it to you if you dont ask, I think it would be a bit shallow as after all they see it as staff development. Dont do it!
  • Options
    Probably sorted by now but, having known loads of people who have temped there is no harm in asking your agency if you should be paid more money. If the job you are doing is of a higher skill then the one you were taken on to do you may be eligable to a better rate (and if they say no, you could look at it as getting better experience, showing the company you are a good worker may mean they are more likely to find you more work etc...)

Susie :)
  • Options
    As an employer can I put the other view across, which is that you are "covering" the job, not doing it.

The other person retains responsibility for what happens, even though she is away and it's the responsibility which gets you the pay rise, not the task.