Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I want to tell their story too.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The ‘Abu Earless’ Brigade
Saddam Hussein’s ear-amputation campaign went on for three days, May 17-19, 1994, in every city in Iraq. Some of the estimated 3,500 men who lost their ears are now telling their stories

April 23 — They’re among the saddest of the sad, in a land full of sadness. They push forward from the crowd of beggars and supplicants that gathers wherever they find foreigners, whether soldiers or journalists or aid workers.

MOST, LIKE AHMED Hussein, have no words in English, but they don’t need them. Outside the HQ of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit in An Nasiriya yesterday, Hussein only had to turn his head to show his profile, and utter a single word, “Saddam,” as he pointed to the stump where his right ear used to be. He wasn’t begging for money, though he had none, or asking for a bottle of water or a telephone call abroad, like so many others in a place where the water doesn’t run and the phones don’t work. He just wanted to tell his story.

Surely a democracy can protect these people now.:(

Comments

• Options
    I still feel instituting democracy into Iraq is an ill-advised concept. Perhaps the Iraqis are ready for democracy, nonetheless is an Islamic state (as elements of the Shi'a population demand) so bad?
  • Options
    Islamic state (as elements of the Shi'a population demand) so bad?

Might be divided up into three regions with each taking care over local issues and only coming together on the national scene. Even in Iran, just because of 100 or so fundamentalists are in with the military, millions can't enjoy what we enjoy. They're arresting people who put up weblogs to express tolerance. Teens have to sneak around to hear music. Store-keepers were threatened when they put up Valentine hearts. I think theocracies are obscene.