Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Al Jazeera correspondent detained in Basara.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/article.asp?cu_no=1&item_no=2936&version=1&template_id=263&parent_id=258

#1 That's a link to the Aljazerra site.
#2 There have been "foreigners" as the Iraqis call them, sent in to fight the coalition forces.

But,

#3 What do we think of this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Free Iraq, detain journalists. Bit of a contradiction methinks
    I think it sends a bad message to the world. I can understand the military checking to make sure journalists are journalists. But taking their cameras etc. is just about as undemocratic as you can get.
    and they wonder why were sceptical?

These guys have been bombed, detained, harrassed and yet we know the muslim world listens to them.

Imagine how you would feel about any government that did the same to journalists from Fox or CNN
    These guys have been bombed, detained, harrassed

One was killed too...by mistake at the Palestine Hotel.
    An Australian journalist went to the room where those people died. He took a rather careful look at it, and his opinion is that the deaths were caused by an RPG fired from another side of the hotel (corner room), not a tank round.

A 120mm round would have destroyed the room and everyone in it.

There is an article about this somewhere if anyone wants to bother searching. It was broadcast on ABC (Australian not American).
    Well, I do think between the Iranians and that one loyal group to Saddam...that's why it was better for journalists to be embedded. They had zero freedom to report while the Iraqis were in charge.