Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Segregation Alive and Well in 2003

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
LOL God Bless America! God Bless the USA! *Drives down the road with ten flags on car.*
We walked into the room and were told to leave. Our offense? Having the wrong skin color.

This is what happened this weekend at the University of Colorado when organizers of a forum dedicated to exploring the effects of racism, saw two individuals who "presented as White," make an attempt to participate in the forum open exclusively to "People of Color."

The workshop, one of a series hosted by Stop Hate on Campus (SHOC), a student-fee funded group on the Boulder campus, was titled the Internalized Racism Workshop. It "was not designed for White people," we were told. Instead, my friend and I could go to a workshop being held concurrently for individuals of our own skin color. When I told the workshop organizer that we had attended that workshop the day before, he was apologetic, but reiterated that we were not welcome to stay for this one.

When I asked just exactly what "internalized racism" was, a young woman in the room spoke up, "well, if you don't know, you haven't experienced it, and you shouldn't be here." The room erupted in laughter.

It was a shocking moment. As a graduate student who has dedicated the last two years to researching the role of race in higher education, I was being taught perhaps my most important lesson: segregation and separatism are alive and well on our college campuses.

When I told the organizer about my academic research and that we would remain silent if only he would permit us to stay, he once again told us we could not. He said the workshop was designed as a "safe space" for "People of Color" and that the presence of someone of our racial appearance would prevent an open and honest dialogue.

It is interesting that safety is the justification used for a racially segregated workshop on a publicly funded university campus in 2003. Indeed, this was the same argument used by the segregationists of the 1950s and '60s. They believed America would be a safer place if the races were kept apart. We should all be grateful that the last forty years have proven them wrong. America is a better place because racial distinctions and discrimination have been—and continue to be—torn down. (Heydrich: ROFL yeah right, another example of the American Delusion)

The organizers of this weekend's events will say the racial segregation they upheld is fundamentally different than the segregation of the past. (Heydrich: Segregation is apparently OKAY so long as "People of Colour" are doing it) In racially sensitive environments and discussions, such as the one held Sunday, individuals should be with people of their own race, they argue. (Heydrich: LOL what hypocrites) Never mind an open and honest dialogue between people of different races. To demand such would be asking too much.

Furthermore, they will tell you, as they told me, it is not the "White person's place" to tell "People of Color" whether or not they can discriminate on the basis of race. They are mistaken. Segregation and discrimination on the basis of race are always wrong, both legally and morally. (Heydrich: Back to the Dream World where "race" does not exist)

The 1964 Civil Rights Act tells us that racial segregation, for any reason, and perpetuated against any group, is not acceptable. (Heydrich: Yet we have had Affirmative Action for decades now) More specifically, Title VI of the statute prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin at institutions receiving federal financial assistance. The University of Colorado, as a recipient of federal funds, has a responsibility to ensure that every door on each of its campuses is open to individuals of all races. (Heydrich: But its okay to discriminate against white people so long as it promotes diversity!)

Maybe I should internalize my experience, believing that somehow I have a responsibility to accept segregation if it can help others come to terms with the state of race in America. If only I could convince myself that segregation does anything other than tear down our past progress and our future hope for honest interracial interaction. (Heydrich: This fellow takes for granted the supposition that "integration" is "progress" yet since such integration American SAT scores have fell since 1964)

To get beyond race, we must defy it. (Heydrich: Which menas constructing a fairy tale world and attempting to portray it as reality)We must stop seeing each other as varying shades of pigment. We must step out of our comfort zones, even if it feels unsafe. Anything less simply won't work, especially closing doors in the faces of those who want nothing more than to bring an end to racism. (Heydrich: Yes and hell will freeze over tommorrow and pigs will fly)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ur point?

America aint perfect , but neither is Europe , which is filled with anti-semites and racism of its own , look at Germany , where racism is a real problem.
    We walked into the room and were told to leave.

That's illegal in America. And any group meeting on campus has very specific laws regarding discrimination. You know that's true Heydrich because one of the reasons you hate America, is its diversity. It's also our strength.
    Ur point? America aint perfect , but neither is Europe , which is filled with anti-semites and racism of its own , look at Germany , where racism is a real problem

Germany is a totalitarian police state where individuals can actually be IMPRISONED for thought crimes. America on the other hand is a country that likes to live in a self perpetuated delusion about "integration." The only thing that has changed about segregation in America is that whereas before it was de jure in most places in America it is today de facto. The most ironic thing about segregation today is how the so-called "people of colour" are the biggest proponents of it. Discrimination and racism against whites in America is entirely acceptable, in many cases, it is public policy.
    You know that's true Heydrich because one of the reasons you hate America, is its diversity. It's also our strength.

You are absolutely right on that one pnj. I do hate and despise America's disgusting "diversity." Every single day America looks more and more like Brazil and South Africa - disgusting, cosmopolitan, impoverished hellholes. We have a lot of the so-called "diversity" in the South. I would be more than happy to export 100% of it to places like New Jersey and Massachusetts.

*whistles Dixie*
    Massachusetts has plenty of diversity thanks. Perhaps you are aware that Boston is a major academic centre with over 100 colleges and universities and a student base from all over the world.
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    Germany is a totalitarian police state where individuals can actually be IMPRISONED for thought crimes.

By "thought crimes" do you mean the fact that you can be imprisoned for denying that the Holocaust happened?

Or are you thinking of something else entirely, if so, what?
    By "thought crimes" do you mean the fact that you can be imprisoned for denying that the Holocaust happened? Or are you thinking of something else entirely, if so, what?

Exactly.
    If you mean people in Germany don't get to be Nazi's any more...I think that's a good thing.

I get so much out of knowing people from other cultures in America. Sometimes it's really shallow stuff. Like when I've eaten at my friend's house who is a Pakistani Muslim, the food was different...same thing as when I went to a West Indian festival and ate a Jerk Chicken thing. But I never would have had it had those people not lived in the US.

Contrary to your thinking we're doing o.k. in the US and laws protect us all against discrimination. Some laws that protect people from others saying horrible things...like making fun of Indians, or Hindos in turbans or Muslim women with scarfs...I don't call those laws policing my thoughts. I call them good for society.

Remember something, Einstein came to America. That was a good thing. And of course, Madonna's back...but that's another story.
    If you mean people in Germany don't get to be Nazi's any more...I think that's a good thing.

9/11 was a beautiful sight. Watching those yanks jump out of the World Trade Center on fire was spectacular.
    I get so much out of knowing people from other cultures in America.

Yes, America is a more ignorant place with each passing year, i.e. California.
    Sometimes it's really shallow stuff. Like when I've eaten at my friend's house who is a Pakistani Muslim, the food was different...same thing as when I went to a West Indian festival and ate a Jerk Chicken thing. But I never would have had it had those people not lived in the US.

The funniest thing about America's diversity is that it will be America' downfall. Just look at 9/11 or the Washington DC sniper. That is a great example of diversity right there. That is what happens when you open your country to infestation by millions of aliens.
    Contrary to your thinking we're doing o.k. in the US and laws protect us all against discrimination.

Affirmative Action is discrimination.
    Some laws that protect people from others saying horrible things...

Thought Crimes! Land of the Free!
    like making fun of Indians, or Hindos in turbans or Muslim women with scarfs...I don't call those laws policing my thoughts. I call them good for society.

The USSA. . .
    Remember something, Einstein came to America.

Yes, as did many other Jews who gave the Soviet Union the atomic bomb. . .
    That was a good thing. And of course, Madonna's back...but that's another story

It was a good thing I suppose the Jews gave the Soviet Union the atomic bomb. It weakened America. That pleases me.
    R U an American? R U in some paramilitary group running around in some Western state. I'm serious.
    The most ironic thing about segregation today is how the so-called "people of colour" are the biggest proponents of it. Discrimination and racism against whites in America is entirely acceptable, in many cases, it is public policy.

:rolleyes: I've noticed. I really hate so-called "positive discrimination", for instance using quotas to get racial minorities into jobs at the expense of white men. To me all discrimination is negative. Everybody should be treated on merit, whether black, white or blue with green spots.
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    [BEverybody should be treated on merit, whether black, white or blue with green spots. [/B]

If you're blue with green spots, I suggest you go to a doctor rather than a job interview ;)
    Exactly.

I agree with you on that point, that is a sick law. Germans should be allowed to question the validity of what they are being told happened. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it did happen.

However, I don't think that you - as a Nazi apologist - have anything to preach about. The German legal system in the late 30s and early 40s criminalised criticism of Hitler, and the Party as a whole, and made such a "crime" punishable by death. Added to that were crimes over which someone had no control, such as being born into the Jewish faith, mentally retarded, or even Russian - most of which were also punishable by death.

And you complain that someone might be imprisioned.