Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

France proposes suspension of United Nations economic sanctions against Iraq.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
merci:)

And Iraq's biggest oil processing plant is back online. It can supply oil to Iraq's powerplants. They're still a ways off from exporting oil again.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Be interesting to see how Germany and Russia vote...
    Actually the only member of the security council which has adamantly insisted on the maintenance of sanctions since the end of the PGW1 has been the US.
    just on the news ...bush agrees sanctions should be lifted.
    adamantly insisted on the maintenance of sanctions since the end of the PGW1 has been the US

Bush had proposed this last week. I just want to see Iraq get on its feet as a Muslim democray with everyone represented...except the extremist. They're the enemy and shouldn't even be reasoned with..
    Bush had proposed this last week. I just want to see Iraq get on its feet as a Muslim democray with everyone represented...except the extremist. They're the enemy and shouldn't even be reasoned with..

LOL! Yes that's what I thought. If you don't support our ridiculous puppet government, or our imperialism in your country, you are hereby DISQUALIFIED from our demockratic election!
    Define extremist then pnj. The Shias are by far the majority of the population in Iraq and they are increasingly demanding we leave. How legitimate will your supposed democracy be if you disenfranchise the largest ethnic group in the country?

Moreover, how do you think it will serve the cause of gloabl peace to dictate an endgame which leaves the Shia's only one alternative to express their will, namely terrorism?

Better go back and think this through again dear boy, your inconsistencies are glaringly apparent.
    Define extremist then pnj. The Shias are by far the majority of the population in Iraq and they are increasingly demanding we leave.

Not really Clandestine. I saw the news Europe gets and it can be argued that we should get some of the stories Europe gets but Europe needs a Fox Channel...just to glance at it and decide for yourself some of the stories you're missing.

An extremist is any Muslim who calls for Jihad against the US that involves offering up human sacrifices.

The Shi'ite community in Iraq has been polluted with garbage from Iran. (And most Muslims in Iran don't want the strict government they're forced to live under because of a few Muslim perverts and the army.)

Iraq might be organized along the lines of UEA with each three areas being afforded a lot of autonmy over their local communities and lives and then a gathered assembly to run Iraq that tolerates everyone's religion.

The US can't leave it up to the Shi'ites. The Middle East radicals must be wiped out in the Middle East or they'll come to us.
    They are more likely to harbour enough resentment to, as you put it, "come get us", if they perceive that our intent is to dictate to them in any way how their own country must be governed. How would you react to a foreign army telling you who you could vote for or what you could oraganise?

Try putting the shoe on the other foot and think things through to their logical conclusion and it might just dawn on you how presumtpuous Bush and co are in their handling of their entire Middle Eastern policy.

There will yet be a backlash of that i have little doubt. It might be years yet in coming, but it will come unless the duplicity and lies coming from our capitol are not nipped in the bud.

I receive more news channels of all sides of the political equation than one person could possibly keep up with. Ive no need of rubbish like Fox News, CNN International puts out enough propaganda for anyone.
    Clandestine we did that and Bin Laden and company perceived us as week. On Arab News I read: Arabs always go for the strongest horse. That's us.

We just need the time to create a democratic, tolerant Muslim nation.
    An intolerant nation such as ours is never going to achieve that at the end of a gun. Keep right on believing Fox News and deluding yourself. Things wont be getting better under this administration and its myopic doctrine of empire.

Not surprising that you sidestepped every point put to you though. You obviously comprehened very little of the implications of what you continually regurgitate.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Actually the only member of the security council which has adamantly insisted on the maintenance of sanctions since the end of the PGW1 has been the US.

We shall see, won't we. Lifting the sanctions means the elimination of the oil for food program and the loss of a lot of money for the UN.
    As it turns out, France didn't get any more of our military people killed in Iraq with all the delays. So I'm glad to see them coming around...probably to where we can fight it out diplomatically again. But that's o.k. I think they've also called for an end to the oil for food program. The Kurds want nothing to do with the UN or countries that kept Saddam in power...so I don't know how they'll make out. In the long run, if Iraq ends up with a militant Muslim government, France might be favored over the US.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The Kurds want nothing to do with the UN or countries that kept Saddam in power

Escept the US who they fought with, obviously.