Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Blair's traitors in Labour on Saddam's payroll.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
George Galloway, the Labour backbencher, received money from Saddam Hussein's regime, taking a slice of oil earnings worth at least £375,000 a year, according to Iraqi intelligence documents found by The Daily Telegraph in Baghdad.

A confidential memorandum sent to Saddam by his spy chief said that Mr Galloway asked an agent of the Mukhabarat secret service for a greater cut of Iraq's exports under the oil for food programme.

George Galloway: 'I have never in my life seen a barrel of oil, let alone owned, bought or sold one'

He also said that Mr Galloway was profiting from food contracts and sought "exceptional" business deals. Mr Galloway has always denied receiving any financial assistance from Baghdad.

Asked to explain the document, he said yesterday: "Maybe it is the product of the same forgers who forged so many other things in this whole Iraq picture. Maybe The Daily Telegraph forged it. Who knows?"

When the letter from the head of the Iraqi intelligence service was read to him, he said: "The truth is I have never met, to the best of my knowledge, any member of Iraqi intelligence. I have never in my life seen a barrel of oil, let alone owned, bought or sold one."

In the papers, which were found in the looted foreign ministry, Iraqi intelligence continually stresses the need for secrecy about Mr Galloway's alleged business links with the regime. One memo says that payments to him must be made under "commercial cover".
- Telegraph.co.uk

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We have have freedom of expression in the UK you know. Galloway is not a 'traitor' simply because he disagrees with government policy.
    Galloway is not a 'traitor' ...freedom of speech

No it was the taking the money from Saddam that made him a traitor.
    No actually that made him an opportunist.

Interesting that we dont see American firms or individuals being cited as well. You can bet any pre-invasion collusions will be covered up in typical Republican style. Iraqgate anyone? :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    No actually that made him an opportunist.

Depends when the money was paid, and under what circumstances - assuming that he did take the money of course. That is still to be proven.

Worth noting that he is claiming that he is suing for libel damages. Hope for his sake that he isn't using the same "Sword of Truth" that Jonathan Aitken used... ;)
    MOK we must have posted this at the same time. My point is that we have to be watchful of both liberal and conservative politicians.
    You're doing it again!

Mr Galloway denies taking money, He has not been formally charged, He has not been tried. This trial by media is wrong. He is an innocent man and you are slandering his name all over the place John. What happened to:
    Not true, as told by the people I believe: my government and the troops that were there.
    You didn't believe the Iraqi's then so why now?

As for "Blair's Traitors" Blair is the biggest traitor in Britain! He's slowly but surely bringing this country to it's knees and he's trying to be President Blair. I.e. 4 weeks without going to see the Queen like he should everyweek. The Queen is said to have privatly expressed annoyance.
    If it turns out this guy did this, he should be shot as a traitor. Or forced to go live in Iraq.

All criminals deny what they do RS. We had someone on the take with Iraq too. They kicked him out of office. It was before we went to war...so technically he wasn't a traitor.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    If it turns out this guy did this, he should be shot as a traitor. Or forced to go live in Iraq.

All criminals deny what they do RS. We had someone on the take with Iraq too. They kicked him out of office. It was before we went to war...so technically he wasn't a traitor.

Shot? The UK does not have the death penalty. Do you honestly believe that he should be shot? Well if we're shooting traitors - we'll need a fair few bullets.

Surely being sent to the liberated Iraq would be a privilege? Was that not what this war was for? To make it a safe place?

Who exactly was he betraying though? It seems some are all too happy to converse and deal with leaders such as Saddam Hussein when it suits them. Enough of the double standards and hypocrisy.
    Elysium, pnj is a poster child for hypocrisy, he'll never have his fill of it.
    Elysium, pnj is a poster child for hypocrisy, he'll never have his fill of it.

Well that's always been wildly apparent.
    Not to jump on the bandwagon but that's been apparent for the three years I've known of the boy!

Oh and John he wouldn't be guilty of treason anyway!
    Ummm, if he only registered in Nov 2002 how have you known him for three years?
    Do you reckon that it is convient though that there had found the documents in the Iraqi Foriegn Minstry even though the rest of the building had been bombed, looted and the rest of the documents had been destroyed?

However though it wouldnt surprise me if he had, as most politicans are opportunist and are in politics for they own gain.

My worry is this has undermined the anti-war movement and that the media will use it to discredit other people involved with the movement
    Well I was against the war but i didnt subscribe to Gallaways extremism. Id agree he crossed the line and should perhaps even be jailed if its true he took money. But then Id like the same spotlight turned on Cheney who as head of Halliburton was making huge profits off the cheap oil purchases from the OFF program from Iraq and reselling at market rates for billions in illicit profit.

But those facts wont be found you can bet or will be quickly destroyed. This is the great judge of the world passing its imperial sentence on foreign politicians but it wont touch Washington. ;)
    So the papers from Iraq saying that they have no WMD are forgeries and fake and lying, but the papers allegedly indicting a back-bench UK MP are true to the very core?

When are you gonna wake up and engage your brain...just because its on the telly doesnt mean its true.

The trouble is that the Telegraph is an incredibly right-wing newspaper heavily in favour of the war, and of basically killing anyone who isnt a fucking farmer, so Id believe them only marginally more than the Mail. Can they stand this letter up to internation scrutiny- can they hell. And, whoa, isnt it just convenient that anyone who could disprove this slander is dead? Or even if it can be disproved, the mud sticks- no smoke without fire is what the right-wing retards will think.

Grow up boy, Fox isnt the fountain of all knowledge FFS.
    This is the great judge of the world passing its imperial sentence on foreign politicians but it wont touch Washington. ;)

Ill tell you what else it wont touch- the fact that much of saddams weaponry was paid for by the British taxpayer. In the UK the Government bails out weapons manufacturers if a foreign nation defaults on payment, and, would you believe it, Saddam never paid up so we did instead. The British making the bullets and paying for the weapons that kills British soldiers. Its the same with Syria, and even more so with the brutal dictatorships in Myanmar, Indonesia, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

As for galloway, he was always too left-wing for a lot of people, but its only ever the left-wingers who uncover the truth. Unfortunately the truth is inconvenient- Im waiting for Mark Thomas to be indicted in some sort of fraud, its gonna happen soon cos hes too dangerous to the elite to have loose.
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Shot? The UK does not have the death penalty.

Er, yes we do.

For traitors.
    Shame they didn't use it on the proprietors of the Daily Mail back in the late 30s then.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Er, yes we do.

For traitors.

High treason (specifically treason against the crown) and espionage during wartime both technically still carry the death penalty, I believe, though it's been a while since we applied it. Peacetime espionage usually just causes a diplomatic incident (expulsion of the offender back to their country of origin).
    Oh, my mistake. I stand corrected.

Stupid law if you ask me though.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    No it was the taking the money from Saddam that made him a traitor.

The legal system in this country is Innocent until proven guilty. Wait for the trial.
    The jury is still out on this one...
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Er, yes we do.

For traitors.

It was by hanging, I thought theyd got rid of it though :confused:
    I wouldnt be surprised to find that eitehr the CIA or MI6 has something to do with this, they both have a long history of trying to sabotage the careers of anyone who doesnt give the estabilshments arse a good tongue-cleaning every so often.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It was by hanging, I thought theyd got rid of it though :confused:

I'm sure it would breach the EU's Human Rights Legislation, perhaps that is what you are thinking of. I know that we cannot extradite someone if they will face the death penalty...
    Originally posted by Darth Fred
    I believe, though it's been a while since we applied it.

Lord "Haw Haw" - mouthpiece for a foriegn dictator.

Do you see the irony?
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The jury is still out on this one...

Is it? I thought it was well known what happened there and then? It was all out in the open wasnt it? Or is there something else you know that the rest of us dont?
    As it happens Saddam had less WMDs than taste regarding bathroom taps, but if I were American and my soldier child had been killed by chemical agents happily provided by Mr Rumsfield and other scumbags I would have considered it an act of treason against America and its troops.
    Rumsfeld provided chemical agents? I hadnt heard of this..I thought it was the type culture people? Where did you hear this info? You should get in touch with the US govt as they cant know about this.

Or was he acting in accordance with the wishes of his commander in chief and government as a whole in which case charges of treason would be ludicrus?
    It's the second option you proposed: he was acting in accordance with the wishes of his commander in chief and government.

And I was saying that had US soldiers died from a chemical agent attack, agents which were provided by Rumsfield and co., the families of the deceased could be forgiven for branding their government 'traitor' for providing doomsday weapons to a mad dictator likely to turn on its master, just so it does the US' dirty war abroad.