Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shock Horror!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I actually have started revising! Be impressed people. But I was just wondering...

How do you revise?

I can't just read through something and take in what i dont already know because i have quite a good memory as it is. Some things just stick in my head the first time but others refuse to go it. I have to write things down and make up rhymes and mneumonics (sp?) and things like that.

And this year i'm making great use of flow charts and spider diagrams etc. Nice visual methods. My walls are going to be covered soon ;)

So what bout you??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I started revising yesterday - I don't think I've left enough time to be ready in time for my assessments when I go back but never mind eh? Anyway, I used to just read all my folders over and over and over or the textbooks - that got me good results. But for the January A2 exams I changed my technique to sitting in a big armchair with my folder and noting everything down - this meant I made proper notes and got everything into a much slimmer and portable folder which I read over and over which got me some of my best results ever so I'm trying the same method again - just hope it delivers this time! :)
    Write notes
    Write more notes
    Rewrite the notes
    Rewrite the written notes

etc

It's a waste of paper but it helps to drum things into my head.

Also yeah, rhymes, mnemonics (can ANYONE spell that?!), and lots of highlighting and bright colours.

Flashcards are good too for learning facts / dates / language vocabulary
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Write notes
    Write more notes
    Rewrite the notes
    Rewrite the written notes

etc

It's a waste of paper but it helps to drum things into my head.

Also yeah, rhymes, mnemonics (can ANYONE spell that?!), and lots of highlighting and bright colours.

Flashcards are good too for learning facts / dates / language vocabulary

these are all strategies i use too. i need to keep writing everything down cos if i just read over my notes it doesnt quite sink in. i quite like doing charts too, brainstorming ones.
    Er, I'm going to start tomorrow. :yeees:

Make sure you have everything you need before you start. If you're anything like me, going to get a drink tends to turn into a massive detour and I suddenly find pet rescue entertaining.

Find out what works for you. And stick to it. The only way to do that is just get on with it. Taking ten minute breaks every hour is no good for me. I work a lot better for a few hours at a time and then go off and do something else for a couple of hours. If I take a ten minute break it takes me twice as long to get back into what I'm doing.

Ditto that with music. If it helps you concentrate, then go ahead. If it serves as a nice distraction - turn it off.

Make sure whever you're revising is clean and tidy. So much easier to find what you need.

Notes. Make them. Lots.

I like flowcharts too, whoever said that. ALthough I spend a large amount of time colouring them in.
    Stick 'em on your wall and then you have no choice but to see them everyday.

Stick stuff above your desk (if you have one) too. Then if you get distracted, you'll be staring at something vaguely useful.

Cut down your hours at work if it takes up too much time. It's not worth running yourself into the ground for the sake of 4-or-5-something an hour. RIght now your education is more important -once you've got your qualifications no one can take them away from you.

Yeah, and start early.
    Saves any panic. :crazyeyes
    I find colourful childish pictures help and spider diagrams for case studies :D
    Gotta have glittery gel pens :)

How could i have forgotten them!
    I get my folder out, select what I'm going to revise (having made a plan or merely in the order that it is in my folder) and I get some paper. I begin by writing notes on my notes, and I try to remember what I have revised by regularly testing myself. I find making notes from notes, and notes from those notes, etc, to be effective, but everyone has different means by which to revise.
    1) Re-read my reading lists (in total as long as both my arms!)

2) Re-read the books, plays and poems i've studied.

3) Organise my files

4) Write checklist of key things bout each module to know.

5) Test myself - Sample questions etc.

I have got to 2 so far!
    I thought it was pneumonics but can't find the difference between that and mneumonics? :confused:
    Er, I'm going to start tomorrow
    Tomorrow never comes!

I also can't revise for an hour and have a short break, i just distract myself after the break is up with something else, such as...the Fridge. I like working for longer spells.

I write out notes, then look at them later, testing myself on specific parts. I always found History the hardest subject to revise last year, and can't learn anything from flashcards.

I love having lists of things to do; it seems daunting at first, but the exhilaration of putting a little tick by the thing once you've done it is too much to bear.........!!*gets emotional* lmao
    Maths is my fav subject to revise for cos it just involves doing a shed load of exercises - like every single question you can lay your hand on.

Iam about 35% through my revision for maths now with another week before I have to go back to school - wanna be 70% through by then.

M3 *shudder*

Only rude pneumonics work for me.