Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Panic attacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever had one? Ive had 2, and they've been in the last 5 months. The first time I had one I had been out on the town with a few friends and then gona back to my bf house to sleep and I had a little too much to drink. I just started thinking about something that happened to me when I was 12. The second one was on the night before mine and my bf's 5month anniversary and I just acted like a complete dipstick. I walked home regretting how stupid I was acting and then I had one.

*Doesnt even know while she's writing this!!*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a panic attack once, havent got a clue why it happened. Anyway I was breathing all funny, went all hot and sweaty and was a wreck to be honest.

Youre probably writing this because at least when someone replies you know that your not alone on this, and that a problem shared is a problem halved :)
    I've not had one. But then again, im only ickle :D

My mum has though, it was really scary :eek2:
    Yep, first time I was breathing really really fast and crying. And then the second time when I was walking home I couldnt breath at all and I was crying.

Its quite scary.
    Yeah I've had a few... sometimes when I wake up from nightmares I start to hallucinate and have had panic attacks after that. I once had one on Christmas day for no reason, and when I I get really really upset/depressed/angry and snap I usually get them... and it's scary cause I start breathing funny, then stop breathing, and then breathe funny again.. my heart rate sometimes drops as well :confused: tis scary.
    Originally posted by KinkyBoots
    Its quite scary.

Tis indeed.
    If it happens whilst your in the house try using a paper bag to breathe in and out. That is supposed to be effective :)
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Tis indeed.
    If it happens whilst your in the house try using a paper bag to breathe in and out. That is supposed to be effective :)

*Doesnt own a paper bag* :p
    do they even make paper bags any more? :confused: :eek2:
    I remember I had one in a club once. One minute I was dancing, then I just couldn't breathe and I got really freaked out and upset over all this stuff.

Then all my friends rushed me over to the other side of this club near the bar and they were crowded round me saying 'Let her breathe' and then some bouncer appeared and grabbed my wrist and was like 'Get her outside' (although I didn't realise at the time that he meant for air, I was just like wtf is he throwing me out :eek2: ) and all these people were just saying to me breathe and all I remember is thinking 'WTF is happening? Panic attack? I am trying to breathe, goddammit'.

Meh. I was really drunk and my ex was being a real shit to me that night and all this stuff so blah, maybe it was 'cause of that.
    *Doesnt own a paper bag* :p

oh I do....I wear one over my head on a Friday night out :lol:
    oh I do....I wear one over my head on a Friday night out :lol:

:lol: hehe. Aww hunni!
    I get the often. I think about adam leaving me or dying and think stupid stuff then my head goes funny chest goes tight and I can't breathe proper get all shaky n that, nasty!
    My friend used to get them all the time and has to take pills to stop them from happening, I get them whenever I have to do a presentation. Not a nice experience at all.
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I get them whenever I have to do a presentation. Not a nice experience at all.

So could it be something to do with subconcious? Like youre worrying about something, even if you dont realise and before you know it the panic takes over and youre having a real panic attack? I dont mean just for you but other people, who may have some kind of underlying problem?
    Just a thought like:)
    So could it be something to do with subconcious? Like youre worrying about something, even if you dont realise and before you know it the panic takes over and youre having a real panic attack? I dont mean just for you but other people, who may have some kind of underlying problem?
    Just a thought like:)

My doctor says it's something that can't be helped.
    First time I had too much to drink and started thinking about something that I shouldnt have and second time I got so upset and pinicky and worried that I might lose my bf after acting like a complete divvy!
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    My doctor says it's something that can't be helped.

Really. Is the doctor sympathetic with it?

KinkyBoots so yours was because you were thinking about things maybe that you didnt like that have happened or things that may happen. So in effect that could be like what I was saying about our subconcious and stuff. Wierd really isnt it.

All I know is ive had one and im glad it hasnt happened again. It was awful so I could imagine what it was like for people who do get them on a regular basis.
    KinkyBoots so yours was because you were thinking about things maybe that you didnt like that have happened or things that may happen. So in effect that could be like what I was saying about our subconcious and stuff. Wierd really isnt it.

Yes, its just something that cant be helped if you get so worked up and scared about something.
    Yes, its just something that cant be helped if you get so worked up and scared about something.

But when I had mine nothing out of the ordinary had happened :confused:

medication and therapy help, my sister has panic attacks/anxiety disoreder, whatever you wish to call it
    Manda dont they treat it with breathing excersises?
    And like getting people to breathe in for like 10 seconds then breathe out or something like that.
    i want to cry
    i want to cry

Sometimes its nice to cry, gets it all outta your system. Like any anger, frustration or anything you have inside you :)

You ok :)
    i want to cry
    Let it all out :)
    You ok :)

No I feel like crap basically and I shouldnt. ARGHHHH men!! They confuse me big time.

Edited to say: I want to kill them all, every last one of them!
    No I feel like crap basically and I shouldnt. ARGHHHH men!! They confuse me big time.
    :yes: I know what you mean. Although its easier said than done, try not to let him(?) bring you down. :)
    I want to kill them all, every last one of them!

Even me? ;)

Edited to say: I want to kill them all, every last one of them!

Dont let him get you wound up, have a good rant about him and get it out of your system. Honestly all men arent bad :)

Sorry im not giving you much help :)
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE
    Even me? ;)

especially you! :lol:

Lol, only kidding! Me loves ya really.

Im alright now anyway :)
    ah, panic attacks....

i get them ALL the time (got emetophobia).

medication and therapy do help, but therapy helps best if you have a specific fear, like mine....
    I used to get them many years ago. I used to get the occasional feeling of despair that my life was going nowhere, etc, etc, and that would bring on a panic attack. Haven't had one in many many years though, and even then, they weren't as bad as some of the panic attacks described by other people here.

Mr_Wobble ;)