Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Painkillers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know what the strongest painkiller avalable without a perscription (or drug dealer :p) is? Like the brand name of it or whatever. I'm in absolute agony here. I usually have REALLY painfull periods, so bad I can't keep still and spent most of the time almost screaming in pain. I can't stand up or sit down and the painkillers my mum gives me never work. When I'm at school I usually end up getting sent home because I won't shut up making 'in pain' noises or crying. :(

The last time I remember a painkiller actually relieveing the pain a little, was Codeidramol (sp?) which was what my friends nan had been perscribed after surgery :crazyeyes

help! I can't take this pain!!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    co dydramol or co proxamol are very strong and are codeine based. You can only get them on prescription though. It might be worth asking your doctor if things like Ibuprofen arent working. I really sympathise with you as I used to get horrendous period pains when i was a teenager which used to incapacitate me. I fainted on more than one occasion, and it also meant I failed my maths GCSE, as I couldnt concentrate.
    It might be worth you going on the pill, as they often use that to regulate periods and make them lighter and less painful.
    something I got prescribed for period pains once was mefanamic acid, which I think is a muscle relaxant, and stops the cramping. That might be worth asking your doctor for too.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    something I got prescribed for period pains once was mefanamic acid

Yeah, I was given that by my doc a few years ago.
    Slayer, you shouldn't be putting up with this. Ok, so it doesn't help you right now, but make an appointment with your doctor asap. There's just no need for it.

Have you ever tried feminax? It's kinda pricey (most likely to get it from a pharmacy) but it used to be the only thing that would ease the pain for me at times.

Yeah, and I know you would have been desperate, but you should never take someone elses medication. Whatever it is. You just don't know how it will affect you.
    something I got prescribed for period pains once was mefanamic acid, which I think is a muscle relaxant, and stops the cramping. That might be worth asking your doctor for too.
    My mum's friends daughter got put on that for it, and she said it really helps. My mum said she'd take me to the doctors for it but she never did. The only way I'd end up a the docs was if someone dragged me there kicking and screaming lol.

I have tried feminax, but that doesn't work either... I even ended up taking the max 24 hr dose within a few hours, and was still in agony. I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to taking pills, I know. I shouldn't have taken someone elses pills, but my friend gave me it because I was in absolute agony on her kitchen floor.. and I was kind of beyond the point of caring at that point lol
    that is true I guess about not taking someone elses pills, but im sure were all guilty of it at some point. if shes tried it though now and its the only thing that works, then definitely get down the doctors and ask them for it.
    Slayer, If the only way youll go to the doctors is if your dragged kicking and screaming, then you cant be that desparate. Dont be a baby, and get down there yourself.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    that is true I guess about not taking someone elses pills, but im sure were all guilty of it at some point. if shes tried it though now and its the only thing that works, then definitely get down the doctors and ask them for it.
    Slayer, If the only way youll go to the doctors is if your dragged kicking and screaming, then you cant be that desparate. Dont be a baby, and get down there yourself.

I am considering going down there on my own, without my mum.. but I'd take a friend with me. Im seriously terrified of doctors - he's a scary old man who poked needles in my eyes and told me that the ripped muscle in my shoulder/back was nothing to worry about - that was 4 years ago and it still hurts sometimes. I'll ask him about the muscle relaxant you mentioned, and also see if he'll give me some stronger painkillers. :)
    Go to a different doctor - tell the receptionist you'd like to see a female doc maybe?
    Originally posted by Slayer_Pantera
    I Im seriously terrified of doctors - he's a scary old man who poked needles in my eyes and told me that the ripped muscle in my shoulder/back was nothing to worry about - that was 4 years ago and it still hurts sometimes. I'll ask him about the muscle relaxant you mentioned, and also see if he'll give me some stronger painkillers. :)
    OMG how awful. Most doctors arent like that though, you seriously need to change doctors. You dont even need a reason to see a different doctor in the same surgery.
    I have horrendous period pain, have done for the last eight years. I've tried EVERY painkiller, off the shelf, over the counter and prescription. The strongest you can get over the counter are Paramax which are paracetamol and some codeine-based stuff, dihydrocodeine I think. I took this with ibuprofen. Not that it worked. Anyway, try your doc again. And furthermore pain this bad ISN'T normal. You could ask him to refer you to a gynaecologist. I did this and it turned out I had endometriosis, which was causing the pain. Go to www.endo.org.uk for more info.
    Originally posted by barbie
    And furthermore pain this bad ISN'T normal. You could ask him to refer you to a gynaecologist. I did this and it turned out I had endometriosis, which was causing the pain. Go to www.endo.org.uk for more info.
    It CAN be normal though, as I said, I also had horrendous period pains as a teenager, and so did my cousin. we both used to almost faint with the pain and/or throw up. for both of us, our periods settled down as we got older. It doesnt neccesarily mean endometriosis, although worth mentioning it to the doctor if youre really worried.
    If you are in serious pain then your doctor is the person to speak to, however you could use some things from over the counter, although I'm saying this purely for information, it might not be great for you.

Neurofen Max contains 200mg of ibroprofen and 12.8mg of codine per tablet, now due to the nature of ibroprofen it is possible to take three of those without any serious problems, although its best to have some milk to as it can be a bit harsh on the stomach.
    Solpadine Max has 500mg paracetamol and 12.8mg codine per tablet, its probally not best to take more than 1000mg of paracetamol, its quite nasty on your liver but paracetamol and ibroprofen are relatively safe to mix.
    So if you wanted to you could take 3x Neurofen Max and 2x Solpadine Max every four hours.
    Both of these are really expencive though.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    but paracetamol and ibroprofen are relatively safe to mix.
    So if you wanted to you could take 3x Neurofen Max and 2x Solpadine Max every four hours.
    Both of these are really expencive though.
    true but youd be better off waiting 6 hours between doses of ibuprofen
    and im not sure that youd want to combine the 2 doses of codeine. It might be a better idea to take normal nurofen with normal paracetamol. or nurofen max with normal paracetamol, or solpadeine max with normal ibuprofen.
    You poor thing, my periods are never too bad but my sister spends days doubled up in agony with hers. Have you considered going on the contraceptive pill? If your periods are really heavy and painful it could help.
    Co-Codamol are the strongest over-the-counter pain killer? I hear their not far off skag. :/
    co-codamol, co, dydramol, and co-proxamol are all very similar, but theyre not like skag.
    You can only buy very small doses of codine over the counter, the max being 12.8mg per tablet.
    It is NO where near 'skag' whatso ever, codine and diamorphine (heroin) are very different drugs.
    one word for ya, morphine. There are people who can get it, you just gotta ask around and be prepared to pay
    Originally posted by Sharkky
    one word for ya, morphine. There are people who can get it, you just gotta ask around and be prepared to pay
    yeah right, go get yourself morphine on the black market for the sake of period pains. I dont think slayerpantera is quite that stupid. All she needs is the right prescription or over the counter painkiller, it wont be that hard to find.