Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

hayfever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what should i take?

i used to take zirtec but that made me very woozy and i was usually alseep within an hour of taking it. last year i had nasal spray + eyedrops combo which seemed to work it was just a hassle to apply it all the time...

does anyone have any good remedies?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah claritin is very very good
    You can get something prescribed from your doc if you get bad hayfever - that might help if over the counter remedies don't.:)
    Originally posted by shazza
    yeah claritin is very very good

:yes:
    Over the years, I've had Telfast, Claritin, Neo-Claritin, Zirtek, Piriton (sp?), Piriteze, and last year, I was given tablets in a little brown pill bottle with a very long name on it - don't know if it's even available over the counter or what it's brand name is. I've had all of those on prescription - which was all fine and dandy when I was at college and didn't have to pay for them!

I've also tried several nasal sprays and brands of eye drops - the eye drops my doctor gave me didn't do much, but I found some good ones from Boots (just their own brand, I think) so I took them to my doctor and he gave me the same ones, just in "medical looking" packaging - ie, so I didn't have to pay for them over the counter at Boots! (cos I was going thru a bottle every few days!)

It was only last year - I've suffered (and I mean suffered!) from hayfever every year, from March to September, since I was about 12 (I'm 19 now) - that I found something that actually worked! It's a steroid nasal spray... it was a "last resort" because it's so strong - my doctor had been saying "if this doesn't work, we might have to consider the steroids" for years! Two sprays of that, and I didn't have a single hayfever symptom for two whole weeks, then another few sprays and I was okay for another two weeks! Just a pity I only got it at the very end of the season last year! :rolleyes:

I've had a cold for the past week, and the other day it dawned on me it might actually be hayfever (catches me out every year!) - I used the steroids and the "cold" disappeared.... Hmmm... :yeees:
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps

I've had a cold for the past week, and the other day it dawned on me it might actually be hayfever (catches me out every year!) - I used the steroids and the "cold" disappeared.... Hmmm... :yeees:

:lol:

I've just been saying I've had a cold. Though some of my symptoms are very cold like. I'm dumb :(

So what are these steroids? I suffer quite badly too and the first pills he gave me didn't work. So then he gave me Zirtek, which was all fine and dandy but it knocks me out lol. Then he gave me a combination of nasal spray and eye drops which are good except need to be adminstered quite often (nasal spray twice daily and eye drops three times per day)

It's really hard because if I'm out and I start suffering I don't have any way of releiving the symptoms (I don't take them with me) so I want something high strength that will last a long time.

My brother is on some kind of steroids because he has hayfever (and ahstma) and they used to do trials on him because his was so strong. I must admit though mine is a lot worse this year :(
    Go in Boots and ask for their Homeopathic ones. They completely natural so they don't make you sleepy and you can take as many of them as you like. Hemeopathic tablets always work better for me, and I made my boyf and housemate use them last year and they worked a treat! ;)
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i like piriteze or clarityne. i opt for the ones that you take once a day and can just forget about instead of taking them every 3 hours and when the symptoms reappear.
    I take clarityn (I think! Never really read the boxes that closely, and I haven't noticed any differenct between the few I've been given) Has anyone ever had the injection thing for it? Cos I've got exams coming up and really don't need anything to make the time more difficult. I was thinking of asking the doctor for it cos apparently they'll do it for something important like that. But does it have side effects?
    Well, unfortunately - im a hayfever sufferer aswell......but........i get it all yr round - the doctor gave it some sort of weird name, and what happens basicaly, is i can have something realy silly trigger it (cat haird, dog hair, perfume, deoderant) - and thats me, for about 24/48 hrs- constant sneasing and watering eyes, and that tingly pain in the back of my nose, when you just know your gonna sneeze in the nxt minute or 2, then all over again.......

Whether the stimuli is still there or not, i suffer for the nxt 24/48 hrs - and that could be me for 2 weeks.............before getting another one...........

One thing i do find is, that it makes me sleepy, and i just need to lye down, when i wake up, im fine for about 2o mins, then thats me.............all over again.............

Neo-Clarityn helps or me sometimes, but if i forget to take it in the morning.........then im virtualy unprotected...........

Does anyone get pains, like a dull pain, go through their body, cause they are sneazing so much?????? i hate it.............i also get really clostraphobic and crabbit when i have the symptoms/attacks........anyone else suffer in that way, if so, how do they combat it???? cause my g/f suffers the brunt of it!!!!!!
    The nasal spray is called Flixonase - I've had Rhinolast in the past and it did bugger all! My doctor would only give me it once I'd tried every brand of tablet available - it got to the point where Dr Jones (for example) would say, "Oh I know, we'll give you this" and I had to quickly ask for the name of it and tell him Dr Smith had given me that last year and it didn't work, to save him making out another pointless prescription! (I can see any of the 6-7 doctors in the practice - I don't stick to a particular one) I dont know how your doctors work, but it might be a while before you get chance to try it!

I get sooooo arsey when I'm suffering - I'm really sorry if this makes the act of sucide sound trivial, but last year (before I got the spray that actually worked), it crossed my mind that I could see why some people could actually end there lives because the pain (of anything) got so bad! I think it's a combination of the fact you can't go out and do anything, cos being outside would just make it worse, and the fact that it hurts so much! Like maillme said, the tingly pain in the back of your nose - feels like your nose is being crushed in a vice! (or is that just me?! :confused: )

I also used to find I got terrible headaches - I couldn't understand why at first, but its actually something to do with the fact you can't breathe properly so you can't take in as much oxygen as normal and it's the lack of oxygen in your blood / getting to your brain that causes the headaches!

Curly_girl - I've never had the injection for it - I'm so scared of needles it's unbelieveable! My doctor had suggested it once but once he saw the look on my face, that idea went out the window! I dont know of anyone else who has had it either.. sorry!

Oh, another thing, has anyone tried an air filter? I've had one for a few years, which I usually leave on overnight, or put it on during the day in my room when I need to escape and sleep for a bit.... But I'm not sure if it's actually making a difference! :confused:

Edited cos I can't spell!
    ide be interested in the air filter????

where, how much?
    I get sooooo arsey when I'm suffering
    What you mean?? crabbit???

Neil
    Arsey = annoying = pain in the ass to anyone around me :)

The air filter was from Argos - was something like £35, methinks
    lol - arsey sounds about right to me then............cant be arsed with anyone, just want to go mad at anything that moves, and doesnt make me feel better!!!!

Neil
    That's the one! :)
    I would suggest asking your doctor about Allegra. I am on Allegra D 60 mg in the morning and just regular Allegra 60mg once every evening and it seems to help me, but whatever you think that might work the best for you.

MySuffice21