Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Little Confuzzled

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi, im a little confused about the whole replying to ucas, i got the main two offers - one of which was a condional offer and another was an uncondional offer. the condional offer is at the uni i REALLY REALLY want to go to, when i was talking to the admissions person in charge of the course, she said that she could give me an uncondional offer for this degree course, but i should try and get an overtall merit in the course im doing now and get into the higher qualified degree, this was a condional offer. i asked her that if i didnt get the merit that i would i automatcally be accepted for the other uncondional course, anyway basically i have chosen to get the condional offer with a merit but she said that if i didnt get the grades i would be placed in another degree course of the same name.

anyway at this moment in time im not going to make the grade i need to get into the condional course and im not worried i wont get in because she may screw me. last night i sent away my reply to my offers, i made the condional offer my firm acceptance and the uncondional offer my insurance but im now worried that if i dont get the grades for the my first choice and the woman screws me i'll have to go to the second choice which i dont want. if they do screw me will i have to go to my second choice or can i go through clearing to get a course in my first choice uni.

sorry for the long story but i really really want to get into my first choice but im now shitting myself as paranoia sets in. i should have taken the uncondional offer from the admissions lady - what a dunce i am!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am uncertain whether you have to take up your resrve offer if you fail your main offer....

It seems unlikely to me, the system is quite flexible so you should find yourself with some choices when you get you grades.

if you think you might want to go through clearing then make sure you do some rresearch so you know what to look out for and what you will be able to get into or you will be in a right panic!
    According to the UCAS site if you don't meet the criteria of the conditional offer you have to take up your insurance offer:
    Firm acceptance (F)
    You can only firmly accept one offer.
    If you firmly accept an unconditional offer (UF), you commit yourself to that course, and you will need to decline (D) all other offers.
    If you firmly accept a conditional offer (CF), you are guaranteed a place on that course, as long as you meet the conditions of your offer.

Insurance acceptance (I)
    If you choose a conditional offer as your firm acceptance (CF), you must decide whether to accept a second offer as insurance. This can be either a conditional (C) or unconditional (U) offer. If you choose a conditional offer, it should normally require lower results than your firm acceptance (CF). You can only choose one offer as insurance.
    If you don't meet the conditions of your firm choice, but do meet the conditions of your insurance choice, then you're guaranteed a place on that course. You are committed to that course and you won't be able to go elsewhere.

However you can sometimes get around this by ringing the institution of your choice and pleading your case to get the place...

If you are worried you are struggling at college now and won't make the grades your best bet is to talk to your teachers/ tutors and ask for help. You still have time to get better marks so get swotting!!!

Hope that helps

we have further info on exams, revision and study in our student special

Susie :)
    Hey

If you sent off your reply less than 10 days ago you can ring UCAS and get them to change your offer, but you can only do that once.

If you dont get the grades to go to your first choice uni, obviously you will be offered a place at the second choice cos its unconditional.

You dont have to take it though! If you choose not to, however, you can't go through clearing or take up any other offers - you will need to reapply for next year.

If you get the grades to go to your first choice but decide you dont want to go, you can't go to your second choice that year.

Hope that makes sense. If you still have a copy of your UCAS decisions letter (ie if you applied online) then all the blurble's on the back of that!

<.NK>

*Edited cos I can't spell!
    so basically if i dont get the grades for my first choice, then i have to go to my second - no matter what! if i decide not to go to my second choice i cant go through clearing.

Is that correct??
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i really dont know but can you not then turn down the offer? i dont know how it all works but it seems to me that they cant make you go and do a course that you dont want to do. people change their mind between now and september/october. its a long time!
    Originally posted by David Grohl
    so basically if i dont get the grades for my first choice, then i have to go to my second - no matter what! if i decide not to go to my second choice i cant go through clearing.

Is that correct??

Basically. yes. That is why it's so important to really think hard about your choices. However like I said above there have been instances where you can get out of taking up your second choice, and you sometimes have the option of not including an insurance choice in your application. Speak to your tutor/ college careers advisor for further advice.

Susie :)
    I rang up UCAS and explained my situation, the nice lady told me that i couldnt go through clearing if i didnt get the grades for my condional offer and that i would have to go to my second choice uni. Anyway i was luckily within the 10 day limit (just by 24 hours) and got my insurance offer changed so i now only have my firm offer for the uni i want to go to.

Thanks to everyone who helped me

Cheers :)