Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

After a year out...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
as you might have guessed, i'm taking a year out of school. at the mo, i'm 17, i've got GCSEs, so i'm not totally lost. but the burning question in my mind is that, would the 6th form be out of the question or would i have to go straight into college with people of all ages?

any help would be muchly appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you should go to college I can't see you getting in 6th form now
    It would be up to the school to see whether they'd accept you into their 6th form. However, a further education (6th form) college would take you, as they take people up to the age of 19. I have a friend who took a year out and came to college at the same time as us and he's having a ball...after all, you'd only be a year older at that stage.
    I don't see why a school wouldn't take you if you're bright enough / suitable enough to get into it if you were the right age. It's worth going around some schools to find out, cos to be honest none of us here know exactly.

Actually though, I'd recommend a college because it would be much easier to fit back in - other people may have taken a year out, people are of slightly different ages... basically, you wouldn't be the 'only one.'
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    I don't see why a school wouldn't take you if you're bright enough / suitable enough to get into it if you were the right age.
    I can - because he's the wrong age! My sixth form would not take anyone who was not 16 upon entry. However, if you did a one year course you were allowed back to do another two year course so that you wouldn't leave until you were 19.

I think the best thing to do would be to ask the head of sixth form what his/her individual policy is.
    thanks all!
    I know loads of people who left school at 16 to work only to find they didnt like it so they went to sixth form "a year late". All depends on the 6th form in question though